Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

This is me right now...figuring out where it’s going to go.

The real question is....whose camera was left in the Diner?!  Clue to next years...:tongue: Just to add also, the “DINER” sign was a pretty neat build. The connection to the diner was interesting(to a non MOCer like myself). 

And, after finishing the diner portion, I was thinking what a great small Modular this would’ve made on its own. With so many people wishing for a smaller, cheaper Modular...I thought this would’ve been a great one. 

Funny you mention that.  I just completed the first two bags and am saving the rest for later.  Looking at just the one story, I honestly thought, "Put a roof on it now, and it would be perfect!"  Of course, you are right about the size.  If they had left it a one story typical diner, it would not have been a full modular, and there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth to be sure.  It almost feels like the other two floors are there mostly to put the piece count and size into modular range.  Not to say that the upper floors are bad, I just prefer the classic look.  I am willing to bet at least some people are going to cap it at the first floor and surround it by a parking lot to allow it to be a drive in diner.  

Also, after seeing some of the reviews where the Diner was used as a de facto corner building by placing a road or alley to the left, I am definitely going to do the same when I one day set up a town.  

I'm going to finish building this when I get home from work tonight, but once it is done I think the first thing I am going to do is try taking off the big brick-built "DINER". I'm thinking it might actually look better without it.

- MJ

2 minutes ago, MicroJow said:

I'm going to finish building this when I get home from work tonight, but once it is done I think the first thing I am going to do is try taking off the big brick-built "DINER". I'm thinking it might actually look better without it.

- MJ

I don't like it either, it's too big, looks out of place. But, how about placing it on the roof? I've been thinking in that solution since I first saw it. I will definitely try that.

Went to my local Lego store today and was surprised to find a good amount of these still in stock. The sales woman was actually building one of them too. I was going to wait until the end of the month for the 60th anniversary promo set but I couldn't help myself. I'll find something else I want over the $125 mark near the end of the month.

22 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’m in the camp of not liking the face change(it’s not a huge bummer or anything though)

I have a TON of classic smiley faces if you want them!!

Guys, I have something really unexpected on my box: the word “expert” is missing, just noticed it! Does anyone else have a box like that?

Lego Downtown Diner 10260 - My box with missing  “expert”

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

My sketch for the final 10260 Downtown Diner MOD in 56 stud wide.

This looks really nice. Cant wait to see it built!

I love the addition of the PIZZA sign because it balances out the other side and I like the DINER sign.

Edited by fordtruckin

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

Oh, that’s so nice! Look forward to seeing it in real bricks :classic:

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Oooh, I can't wait to see it built! :moar:

The only thing I would have done though, is instead have the signage read "Jim's Diner", with Jim on the left side of the "jukebox", Diner on the right side to match the name on the door.

I had the chance to look at the physical build in my Lego Store today, and I must say: the pictures do not do it justice. I was no fan of the whole thing so far, and it still is not among my favourite Modulars - but I do like it now. It is not high on my to-buy-list, but I will get it one day.

5 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Looks good.  Cannot wait to see the finalized version!  Funny thing is that I am currently watching Wheel of Fortune here in the states.  There was a puzzle with the clue "Place" and the solution was DOWNTOWN DINER.  Anyone else catch this?

After seeing the Jangbricks review on it, I like it quite a bit more. The flashiness of the 50s-style facade can be quite deceiving. It is much more than that, with some really nifty building techniques and clever layout. Just as you would expect from a modular. I think it now really only comes down to liking the style, or not. In regards of complexity its in no way inferior.

While i would have bought this for completionism i think after seeing Jangs review i am more of a fan than i was.I love some of the techniques used for the windows to give the offsets for the arches.

13 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

It will be interesting to see how you go adding another word in a similar style. Personally would only go with one set of steps and increase the business sizes as they are a little under done and there is plenty of ideas to add to these. 

16 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner MOD with two sets

Happy New Year, Mr. XXL.

I would suggest to break the simmetry in some points, probably not adding a second staircase. And definitely, not adding a second sign. I think the facade will 'breath' better. If you decide to add the second sign, maybe pizza is not the best idea, as a '50's diner don't get along well with pizzerias. How about JIMS? JIMS DINNER.

3 hours ago, Gongoro73 said:

Happy New Year, Mr. XXL.

I would suggest to break the simmetry in some points, probably not adding a second staircase. And definitely, not adding a second sign. I think the facade will 'breath' better. If you decide to add the second sign, maybe pizza is not the best idea, as a '50's diner don't get along well with pizzerias. How about JIMS? JIMS DINNER.

I was thinking the same thing!

Looks like a great set, and perhaps a slightly new direction for the modular line. 

I wonder which designer will be doing next year's building?

I don't own the diner yet but having watched the many video reviews and read people's comments, it seems that this set is fantastic and it's hard to find anybody criticising it at all.

One thing is really bugging me about the design though and that is the distinct lack of exposed studs on the ground floor. The 2 transparent cup pieces are simply balanced on top of the bar without any studs to hold them in place and in the booth seats one of the 2 pancakes is just left loose on top of the other one. There are also no studs on the stool/seats to hold minifigs in place and only 2 studs on the floor to position the chef and waitress.

I know this seems like a minor issue and I do think the diner is a fab looking set,  but I just think it's odd that they'd leave the pancake and bar glasses just rattling around unattached when the rest of the set has obviously been so well thought out and designed.

Edited by Bricked1980

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

I don't own the diner yet but having watched the many video reviews and read people's comments, it seems that this set is fantastic and it's hard to find anybody criticising it at all.

One thing is really bugging me about the design though and that is the distinct lack of exposed studs on the ground floor. The 2 transparent cup pieces are simply balanced on top of the bar without any studs to hold them in place and in the booth seats one of the 2 pancakes is just left loose on top of the other one. There are also no studs on the stool/seats to hold minifigs in place and only 2 studs on the floor to position the chef and waitress.

I know this seems like a minor issue and I do think the diner is a fab looking set,  but I just think it's odd that they'd leave the pancake and bar glasses just rattling around unattached when the rest of the set has obviously been so well thought out and designed.

Hmmm, good observation. I haven't noticed that by myself, but I really welcome a helpful stud here and there to help with keeping things in their places. Considering that many of us have several modulars, moving them would cause a mid-size piece-chaos!

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

I own the Diner and, upon building it, I too was surprised about the simple positioning of the cups and pancakes on top of a non-studded surface. I might try to find a way to modify the bar and the tables to have some studs exposed, but what I have already done is modified the bar (not the stools) to have a minifigure seat on the bar stools without falling.

All I did was modify the side of the bar, where the light bluish grey tiles are, by adding jumper plates. When placed at the right spot, you can attach the bottom of a minifigure's leg to the jumper plate and it'll seem like the figure is sitting on the bar stool.

On 03/01/2018 at 9:41 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Guys, I have something really unexpected on my box: the word “expert” is missing, just noticed it! Does anyone else have a box like that?

On 03/01/2018 at 6:21 PM, Sir Brickalot said:

^Mine’s the same as yours.

Same for me... any chance to complain and get some free VIP points ;-)

18 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I placed the two transparent cup pieces on the bar, below the orange/green juice distributors, they hold perfectly.. For the pancake, have to figure it out..

Jangs review was really good. It was good to see the up close building techniques. DD will have to wait, I'm behind in modular and the next one I'm getting is DO.

My daughter and I just finished this diner, and I gotta say that I'm pretty impressed. I swore off modulars after the Parisian restaurant. I didn't care for the direction the modular line was heading, so this modular is a breath of fresh air. I love the overall design of each floor, and the building techniques used were really cool. This pink Caddy convertible is the icing on the cake. I can't wait to see the next modular, especially if Mike Psiaki is designing it. In Mike's Lego Designer video, he mentioned a Lego modular hotel, so I wonder if that's a clue about the next modular release. 

I am considering buying the Diner but have to admit I'm not totally sold on the look and style of this one and how well it will fit in alongside previous modulars. Even so it does seem to be getting rave reviews online so it's still a set I'm considering getting.

Other sets missing from my collection are Detectives Office and Brick Bank. Could anyone who owns all three of these sets recommend which one would be the best to get?