Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

LEGO posted a designer video of the set, but it's more an interview with the 2 designers about their work than it is about the set itself.

Interesting how they were thinking about doing a car dealership.  Looks like they definitely wanted a vehicle in the build regardless of the chosen structure.  Glad they did not go with the dealership since they are typically not found in city/town centers, at least not here.  

1 hour ago, ScrypT said:

LEGO posted a designer video of the set, but it's more an interview with the 2 designers about their work than it is about the set itself.

It is more "interview" than previous Designer Interviews. I like the video, but I miss the classic setup with the Designer(s) showing of the set and its details and features. 

This video is sadly not at all convincing me to buy the set. It is nice that they tell people inspiring details of being a Lego designer but I learned nearly nothing about Downtown Diner :thumbdown:

"We don't have a hotel" at 0:47 and I was sure there was a building with a big "Hotel" sign on it.

I would like to get a real designer video where they show the details and the minifigs, like they did with the older modulars.

These new vids misses the main reason why the should be created - the building.. I liked Jaimie´s vids more because he always showed us the build and explain something most interesting. This is not that case, pitty. :/

P.S. Yep in Cafe Corner there is that big "Hotel" sign, but all building is rather empty without anything (furniture, rooms, etc.)

Haven’t historically the modular building fans been vocal about how they generally prefer no vehicles, so those pieces can go to the building or interiors?  I do like this building and plan to get it, but some of the things he says and that LEGO included in the video appear to be disconnected to the modular audience as a whole in my opinion.  I think this is a great design, don’t get me wrong, but the press marketing continues to make me cringe on this set.

Yes there is definitely a step change in the approach to modulars, being style, no more classic heads, more secret before release, story telling in a different way (can't really explain why), a very different designer video (I really enjoyed it - even if I dislike the Dinner at first sight), now will it be successful..? I bet yes. I will be buying the set anyway and I am sure many of the collectors as well, plus some new customers maybe.. I think with this set, TLG has targeted younger fans (size, story telling, car, new faces..), current ones (60's style, different color scheme, techniques, corner/non-corner..) and older ones (time reference, looks a little like town plan somehow, marketing approach - when I was a kid, I .. -).

I was not fond of this building at all when the first picture leaked, I am still not in love like with PR, but I definitely like it more, thanks to the new marketing approach, buzz, designers' video, new style.. controversy.. well done TLG!

Fun video but I still miss the regular ones.. Not long time left before we can put our hands on this beauty!

I really enjoy the new format of the designer videos.  It's amusing to hear designers talk more about themselves than the model.  Besides, I'll be able to read or watch numerous reviews once the set's been released.

Edited by ericb
spelling

The format of the video is well... interesting. But I prefer the videos that tell you something about the set. In that sense, this video is lacking.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

5 hours ago, ericb said:

I really enjoy the new format of the designer videos.  It's amusing to hear designers talk more about themselves than the model.  Besides, I'll be able to read or watch numerous reviews once the set's been released.

IF they want to create more space for designer to talk about himself, why they dont create "bibliography video" or "introducin´designer video" ? Designers videos was always about sets themselves, but these new vids are focused mainly on designers. Why? 

I was totally not expecting that for a designer video. If this is a new format they're trying out, then they also need combine with Theo previius format that shows us the details of the modular.

18 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Interesting how they were thinking about doing a car dealership.  Looks like they definitely wanted a vehicle in the build regardless of the chosen structure.  Glad they did not go with the dealership since they are typically not found in city/town centers, at least not here.  

there is a video on here where the designer showed of his original design for the car dealership modular. It was so much better.

Edited by BrickFit26

I wasn't expecting the Designer video to focus on the Designer, and not the set.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to jangbricks who will for sure analyze this to the smallest detail.

I'm sure most of you have already watched this live build video. For those haven't here is a link. 

Strange designer video, I liked the interviews but they definitely need to go through the actual set as well.

I'm still not sold at all on this building, although I am extremely glad that they didn't make that Car Dealership. I hope they do make a Hotel in future, I had been meaning to build my own but I don't have the pieces or the skill to do so. :laugh:

Wow, so I just watched that video, and all I learned about the set was that they originally wanted to do a car dealership. :thumbdown:

That video was a waste of my time.

Edited by RogerSmith
error

retro-modular, the video really was an interview. I do not know. Having every modular, I was not expecting to have emotional faces ever in the modular series. Quite quaint. 

19 hours ago, tastybrick said:

I'm sure most of you have already watched this live build video. For those haven't here is a link.

Thanks! But 5 hours/(or 2.5 if you watch 2 times faster) is a lot of time for me *huh* I just prefer waiting for 2-3 days and watching speed builds and reviews.

Hmm - not really what I expect or want from a designer video - what was wrong with the old format?

Something odd going on with the comments too - it shows there are 146 comments but you can't actually see them (at least I can't). Maybe they were disabled as the feedback they were getting wasn't positive?

I also prefer the old format for the Designer Videos where they talk about the building, not about themselves. I’d be interested in and happy to watch accompanying “designer” videos about the designers themselves, their history with Lego, any significant sets they designed, etc. But, this was a very odd designer video for the Downtown Diner.

And like others mentioned, it’s interesting how Lego’s internal ideas about the Modular line don’t always correlate with what appears to be the majority AFOL view (e.g. including vehicles with Modulars is something desirable). And I know it’s hard to be on top of ALL Lego sets, but it was odd that he’s not aware that the Modular series already has a hotel (albeit one without any interiors). I’d be happy if a future Modular was a dedicated hotel.

And I’m equally confused how no one at LEGO fact checked anything that was stated in this video before it was released.  Looking forward to the set (which is what ultimately matters), but this whole video was disjointed from the modular line in my opinion.

Maybe I am wrong, but to me it sounded like Mike was teasing Cafe Corner rerelease. The video was professionally prepared with high production values and great comedic punches, I think it was fact checked as well.

The Downtown Diner designer video makes me :wacko: There is almost nothing said about the product.

Just after a picture of Cafe Corner (with hotel sign!) is showed he states there hasn't been a hotel in the modular line. Then we hear Downtown Diner was ment to house a car dealer because it's always fun to include cars in the modular street, while I've read a lot of modular collectors think otherwise.

It just makes me feel like they assigned the 2018 modular design to someone who isn't interested in the modular line at all! He even states several times a designer should build projects he doesn't like to be a real designer.

I guess abandoning the tradition of the classic faces is in line with the lack of connectedness to the modular line.

Nevertheless he managed to finish a nice cheerful building. I especially like they didn't cram multiple buildings onto one baseplate. The diner room breathes space. I'm looking forward to building and displaying Downtown Diner!

Would've been interesting to have heard what Jamie would have to say on a video like this, rather than on a classic Designer video.

Don't get me wrong, Mike is brilliant (not even God would've pulled off that Saturn V, just look how poor the origianl submition was! :laugh:). In fact, I own the Saturn V, the F40 and the Beetle, all of which as his. But again, he's more into the technical side of things (that's probably why he put a whole wall on SNOT to cover up the floor divisions :wink:).

But if Mike is a little more like Mercedes, Jamie is a little more like Ferrari. Everything is more bravo, more flamboyant, more extravangant, more structurally sound. Jamie is the kind of guy that would've tried to make a 32x32 plate have three buildings on it. Heck, whay not!? Let's make a building a 6-wide! And go bananas after that.