Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

On 4-12-2017 at 9:25 AM, Doge said:

Atleast you can make a double building :P

Also, again a modular building is more expensive in the Netherlands than Germany, and even 20 Euros! o.O

Kinda dissapointing, since there's no single reason why there's such a price gap between these two neighbouring countries :sceptic:

Think of the extra VIP points you get when buying in the Lowlands during a double (or even triple) VIP points days.

10 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Think of the extra VIP points you get when buying in the Lowlands during a double (or even triple) VIP points days.

Paying 20 euro's extra to get an 4 euro discount.. Jep that is how we do it here in the netherlands. 

Very nice looking set. I love the popping colors and interior details.

The price is about the same as all of the other town structures.

Maybe a set to consider.

So, they had to release an statement regarding the new faces because it seems there are a lot of complains about it

Over the past 10 years our modular buildings have evolved in many ways. We’ve added more interior details, more story-telling and more emotional triggers such as unique decorations on windows & Minifigure torsos. We now feel the time is right to bring the Minifigure expression in line with all the amazing details now offered throughout our models. We have always loved the classic smiley face for its versatility and nostalgia value, but are now excited to explore the new possibilities expressive faces will offer us.

Can't believe people forget they can just change the heads :wacko:

Source: https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-releases-statement-regarding-downtown-diner-10260-minifigure-faces/

Change is hard for some people. I on the other hand, love and welcome the change from classic smiley faces to faces with expressions. Well done LEGO. :thumbup:

Edited by BrickFit26

Has anyone seen this video posted by @LegoModularFan on the Modular Rumors forum? Its so cool to see the process and different steps of creating a modular. I really liked Mike's (the designer) original idea of a car dealership. That first design was amazing. I understand why they didnt do a car dealership, but he should have stuck with his first design of the dealership and made it into something else. Mike said that this was about 1.5 years in the making, and it makes me think about what changes and ideas they already have for the 2019 modular. :wub_drool: 

20 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I understand why they didnt do a car dealership, but he should have stuck with his first design of the dealership and made it into something else. 

I absolutely agree! Looks amazing with all the curving on the roof and much more fitting with the colors.

The curving of the roof is spectacular. Everything about it is wow. If they went with that design I could see it as a full gym on the first floor with a possibility of the gym continuing onto the 2nd floor. And maybe have the third floor be juice bar/healthy restaurant. The 2nd and 3rd floor with all the Windows remind me of a gym I worked in. 

On 19/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, Blazej_Holen said:

So designer of the Downtown Dinner is Mike Psiaki - designer of new Carousel or VW Beetle...interesting. 

I guess those big curved fender is going to be his signature part :)

I'll probably change the windscreen too, however I was thinking about using one that is 2-stud high.

I'm still not sure how to feel about this set. Something about the colour scheme is somewhat off-putting to me: I think I have a tendency to prefer the more muted modulars, although it does make sense that a diner would be shiny and bright.

I LOVE the actual downstairs diner portion of the build with the rounded window and the beautiful interior. :wub: Everything else, I'm not that excited about. The teal side isn't too appealing to me, nor is much of the upper floors. :sceptic: It's not a bad set by any stretch of the imagination, but not one that sticks out hugely to me.

7 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

I'm still not sure how to feel about this set. Something about the colour scheme is somewhat off-putting to me: I think I have a tendency to prefer the more muted modulars, although it does make sense that a diner would be shiny and bright.

I LOVE the actual downstairs diner portion of the build with the rounded window and the beautiful interior. :wub: Everything else, I'm not that excited about. The teal side isn't too appealing to me, nor is much of the upper floors. :sceptic: It's not a bad set by any stretch of the imagination, but not one that sticks out hugely to me.

Its better to save your judges until you put your hands on it :) 

6 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Its better to save your judges until you put your hands on it :) 

That's true, but it is quite expensive. Maybe I'll pick it up and give it a shot one day, but for now I'm gonna prioritise the other modulars. :thumbup:

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego

Like others, I love the actual diner part, but I'm not quite sold on the other floors, they don’t really fit the Art Deco aesthetic. Also, looking at pictures from Miami Art Deco buildings, the building should definitely be more symmetrical (so I’ll probably have to get two, well done LEGO :laugh:).

I was also there for the presentation and hands-on looking for new parts. I asked the designer if the 2x2 gray curved pieces (like this 15068_0.png) had studs underneath, like this 24201_0.png since they didn't appear to budge when I tried to pry them off. He said that he believes they do. If that is the case, then we have a new useful piece :)

I didn't spot anything else that is not already mentioned in this thread.

9 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

I was also there for the presentation and hands-on looking for new parts. I asked the designer if the 2x2 gray curved pieces (like this 15068_0.png) had studs underneath, like this 24201_0.png since they didn't appear to budge when I tried to pry them off. He said that he believes they do. If that is the case, then we have a new useful piece :)

I didn't spot anything else that is not already mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, that part has already shown up in some of the new Nexo Knights sets, and I think Elves as well. Seems like it will be a very handy piece!

Just now, Lyichir said:

Yeah, that part has already shown up in some of the new Nexo Knights sets, and I think Elves as well. Seems like it will be a very handy piece!

Good catch. Then it is a solid confirmation of the use of this part.

I like it.  The modulars have always fallen between American or European appearance anyway, in my opinion, with Fire  Brigade, Town Hall, Palace  cinema and Detectives Office among the American looking ones, and most of the rest being European. 

Edited by jm28cardiff
additional wording