Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

1 hour ago, Skalldyr said:

Like this?

That symmetrical look is just awesome. :thumbup:

Here you go!

Looks great in red too!

By the way, since it's the only other color that arch piece comes in so far, could you also do a photoshop in Dark Azure? :classic:

Actually for me this is too much. I prefer the double from the looks.

Gosh, when doubled up like that with additional clone floors, this modular looks like it's destined for a skyscraper mod!

I mean, just look at that other photoshop mod you posted. :oh:

28 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, since it's the only other color that arch piece comes in so far, could you also do a photoshop in Dark Azure? :classic:

Gosh, when doubled up like that with additional clone floors, this modular looks like it's destined for a skyscraper mod!

I mean, just look at that other photoshop mod you posted. :oh:

You are welcome! I mean the look does not change too much from the original I think. But also keep in mind that most of the other parts are not yet produced in Dark Azure...

26977889509_0eafe3ba24_c.jpg

It is true that it somehow has a nice art deco / moderne style as a skyscraper and does look good from the proportions as a double with multiple stories.

3 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

Here you go!

At that point, why not go the extra mile and invert ALL the colors?

23890074657_4c27eded57_z.jpg

At first, I thought Lego started a new line. This building reminded me of Simpsons house and market. Then, to my surprise, I found this would be the new Modular Building?! 

I still can't believe it, especially because minifigures in this set have the regular face. I have all the modular buildings. Recently Lego collecting became a bit overwhelming for me. It is still an awesome set. But since this line starts a new period, maybe it is time for me to quit collecting Modular buildings.

1 hour ago, nana said:

But since this line starts a new period, maybe it is time for me to quit collecting Modular buildings.

What’s funny is that I heard the same thing about the DO and BB being a new line of modulars which were smaller that the classics and focused on interiors.

Edited by gotoAndLego

9 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

Like this?

26976079069_bbe2df2d25_c.jpg

Here you go!

It looks much better doubled up like that. I think the final touch would be to have the window arches and lintels in white.

Could you please do a colour sub on those?

14 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Tried to make a double one without Photoshop, but I think this looks pretty good. 

Test

Thank you, this is a version I would actually like (minus one of the "Diner" signs of course). However, that would push the price to 300€, same as "Ninjago City" - without the same level of detail and awesomeness. I also do not think I ever want to invest twice as much money to make a set even watchable for me.

Maybe with a jackpot in the lottery...

3 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

What’s funny is that I heard the same thing about the DO and BB being a new line of modulars which were smaller that the classics and focused on interiors.

People need an excuse to stop buying these sets

(and indeed it is difficult not to buy them :grin:)

I like the set, however, i think they should have made the stairway which is on the left of the building on the back of the building. The back is super boring, and if the stairways is moved overhere, you'll have a better looking corner in that diner. That corner is really iconic, so it frustrates me that it is muffled away a bit. They just had to make it a corner modular. The scenes that are taking place in this modular as funny as always (that hairdo of the boxer :wacko: ) and all in all i like it very much.

I understand people saying it won't fit in the collection, but maybe next one will fit this one better? Plus, i think if you use this diner, with the detective's office and next to it the cinema theatre, you can start a new street, more american oriented?

3 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

It looks much better doubled up like that. I think the final touch would be to have the window arches and lintels in white.

Could you please do a colour sub on those?

I am a little bit exhausted with photo-shopping right now. So I am sorry but I will pass on this one.

11 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

You are welcome! I mean the look does not change too much from the original I think. But also keep in mind that most of the other parts are not yet produced in Dark Azure...

Thanks a lot for this photoshop! :sweet:

It's strange, but while Dark Azure may be one of my favorite official Lego colors, I'm not that crazy about it being incorporated into this modular. It just strikes me as blah. :def_shrug:

If anything, your photoshop makes me appreciate the design team's choice of Dark Turquoise for this set.

9 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Here have a whole carton of smokes!

Is that Sand Green you have used there?

So is the blue/teal color the same as used on the Creator VW Bug?

For the people who are thinking about doubling it, once you remove the right side “Diner” I wonder if you could turn that into a little outside seated patio.

2 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

So is the blue/teal color the same as used on the Creator VW Bug?

For the people who are thinking about doubling it, once you remove the right side “Diner” I wonder if you could turn that into a little outside seated patio.

No, the VW Beetle is Dark Azur. The new Diner is Bright Bluish Green (or Dark Turquoise on Bricklink), a color that has been retired for the past ten years but seems to be coming back with a vengeance this coming year.

11 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

I ABSOLUTELY love this in red!!!!

Me too! Thank you so much!

One final question: can someone shop this (again) in red? (Diner sign yellow, or remove the sign) But with the pink accents in yellow this time?  And change the ugly tan facade in light grey? And all light grey parts (including roof elements) in the facade into dark grey? This is how I see my mod in the future. Think it will look great!

Edited by BrickyBoy

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Is that Sand Green you have used there?

Yeah, they're all just rough approximations to Lego colors except for the blue on the awning, it was being difficult so I gave up. It was all done just for fun to join in the color changing craze as I think the colors of the actual official set are perfectly fine.

5 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

I am a little bit exhausted with photo-shopping right now. So I am sorry but I will pass on this one.

No worries - it's a hobby not a job :)

I do think a mirrored double build with the diner signs removed and window arches and lintels in white would give the most elegant look for this set. 

If I get this set that's what I'll be doing with it.

Just now, koalayummies said:

It was all done just for fun to join in the color changing craze as I think the colors of the actual official set are perfectly fine.

Photoshopping the annual modular set for size/colour variations has become something of an annual tradition - yours reminded me of the Friends Death Star :)

If I had Photoshop I'd join in myself

Edited by ElectroDiva
Added friends Death Star link

I really like this set and I will make the effort to put this in my collection. I love the 50s aesthetic and the minifigs have more character. 

I know some people like the classic smiley faces but I like the change as it gives the minifigs more expression (Especially the crooner's singing face) 

The build itself looks fun and the car is the icing on the cake, or whipped cream on the milkshake as it were. A classic Cadillac just to add that little extra oomph and it looks better designed than the Palace Cinema limo. 

What about this configuration? The DD would in this case become the left end of the street with a small passage between the PC and DD.  

43B2ACCD-3DAA-49AA-9EE8-48C570DCBB86.jpeg

With all of these photoshops, I am liking this set more and more (or is it less and less). that is to say I really like the modified versions of it. I think this set has potential. It has grown on me more than expected. I will definitely modify it on my own accord, but I might keep the color scheme as is for now until some of these other colors come into production.

Thanks for the inspiration.

love it  !!!! its fantastic

hopefully by next year we can get the down town train station , seems its a fan favorite top request for a modular on the forum .

8 minutes ago, danimarroquin said:

love it  !!!! its fantastic

hopefully by next year we can get the down town train station , seems its a fan favorite top request for a modular on the forum .

If they ever release a train station, I hope they design it as standalone building but in the modular style; i.e. have removable floors/roof and adhere to the same standards and measurements as the current modulars, but not connect to other buildings. Almost like a double corner building.

Edited by Gorki247

Love the Downtown Diner. Colors look great and the change in minifogure faces is a nice surprise. After 10 years that change is welcome. Only complaint I have is that the 2nd and 3rd floors look a bit small because of the open space on the left side of each floor. 

16 hours ago, PetrB said:

What about this configuration? The DD would in this case become the left end of the street with a small passage between the PC and DD.  

43B2ACCD-3DAA-49AA-9EE8-48C570DCBB86.jpeg

And if you rename Palace Cinema "Empire" you can stage a certain event from Bruce Wayne's past there...