Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

i know its a bit off topic but since we are joining modulares can some please join Palace Cinema on the right and Ninjago City on the left?

6 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

Tried to make a double one without Photoshop, but I think this looks pretty good. 

Test

Wow! I am normally not a big fan of double modulars but in this case the building looks so much more complete and finished. The stand alone model looks just too small as a structure. But this one looks like it came straight from Miami!

Realised I don't hate it quite so much if you remove that eyesore Friends-line DINER signage. 

It's still a sore thumb though in modular terms. Not my cup of tea at all.

38 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

Tried to make a double one without Photoshop, but I think this looks pretty good. 

Test

That looks awesome - thank you

would it be possible to do the same just without the "diner" signs?

35 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Realised I don't hate it quite so much if you remove that eyesore Friends-line DINER signage. 

It's still a sore thumb though in modular terms. Not my cup of tea at all.

What is Friends-like about the sign? Just its color? And how is it any more of an eyesore than it’d be in, say, red?

I swear, y’all are just demonstrating one of the reasons Friends is such an excellent theme — because it doesn’t randomly declare certain colors “off-limits” out of fear that insecure dudes will feel threatened by them.

18 hours ago, Skalldyr said:

Well, as much as I love the fresh idea of bringing the modulars in the time of art deco the colours are just a little bit too much for me.
And especially the big Diner sign makes the building look small in my opinion.
Other than this I feel that there would have been nicer options to include printed tiles instead of all the star tiles that we already have seen a lot (especially in Palace Cinema) e.g. the Jack Sparrow printed belt piece that looks like bacon. Or the printed waffel piece from the Lego Movie sets. Also instead of the big brick build Diner sign that in my opinion destracts a lot from the rest of the building there could be a printed 2x4 tile like in the Parisian Restaurant as a more subtile Diner sign. And maybe make the round dish on top a nice clock.

Anyway I did some quick photoshopping to change the colours and replace the sign and also the 4x4 dish. For me this would be a very much more fitting art deco style for my modular street.
But I guess I will just remove the Diner sign when I have it build. Because this is bugging me the most somehow. (plus the 5x5 bow pieces do not excist in some earthy colours...)

(on top I don't see a lot of extraordinary new building methods but I am happy to be hopefully surprised when I buy and build it anyway.)

38734373381_dac037ae5e_b.jpg

Even with only the big Diner sing removed I think it looks better (more like a solid, higher building). But then there needs to be something else there for which I did not came up with an idea yet...

38734372411_e4e479263a_b.jpg

I like that nougat so much! What are the available colours to change the dark azure?

At the moment the 5x5x1 corner/bow only comes in dark azure and red. Since the part is quite new I expect it to be produced in several other colours in the future.

Just now, Stefaneris said:

At the moment the 5x5x1 corner/bow only comes in dark azure and red. Since the part is quite new I expect it to be produced in several other colours in the future.

Thank you! Can anyone photoshop this in red? :devil:

Just now, Stefaneris said:

Which set does the red one have?

Edited by BrickyBoy

I Love it. Have all the other modulars as well and no worries it won’t fit in. Just takes a bit of imagination. I also have NINJAGO City in my street layout.

So glad TLG is innovating with this line rather than just re-releasing an existing one like green grocer. That would have been my horror scenario. Winter Village toy shop all over again. Given the recent release of NINJAGO city and the late announcement of this new modular set I was seriously considering a re-release was on the cards...

I think the double diner first floor would look good with a long window and single entrance on the right.. Would go a long way towards it not looking like two sets just slapped together.

Edited by gotoAndLego

3 hours ago, just_one said:

Thanks a lot! :)

i think i will put it like this :)

Me too. The only problem I have now is how to organize all buildings on the shelves. There is some of the other ones that I want to place next to eachother aswell. 

Funny how we get people complaining about a lack of interesting building techniques on the one hand, and others complaining about it employing too many SNOT- and special techniques and thuis looking more like a MOC :tongue:

Btw, @ukblock, you might wnat to check the size on some of your montages. In some of them, the Diner clearly is pictured way too small, most obviously in the one with the Detective's Office. Use the streetlamps for scale, they should be about the same height.

3 hours ago, Sunseeker21 said:

That looks awesome - thank you

would it be possible to do the same just without the "diner" signs?

Like this?

26976079069_bbe2df2d25_c.jpg

2 hours ago, BrickyBoy said:

Thank you! Can anyone photoshop this in red? :devil:

Here you go!

26976197799_566c1f85f5_c.jpg

That's in my opinion the best way to XL build this set. I would also make the top floor at least 1 floor higher, but that would require at least 3 sets.

The more I look at it the more I really dislike the tan color. 

6 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

That's in my opinion the best way to XL build this set. I would also make the top floor at least 1 floor higher, but that would require at least 3 sets. 

Actually for me this is too much. I prefer the double from the looks.

38721026332_429aa3b26e_z.jpg

But I bet there will be people that go compleatly crazy...

Spoiler

When I first saw the set on fbtb (I think it was), I was a bit underwhelmed, but the set definitely grew on me. Its more blue collar than most of the other modulars, but as several people pointed already out, it fits definitely very well to the detectives office. Not saying that it would be a bad fit with some of the more classy ones. After all, many european cities have a quite random mix of styles as well. We often just tend to not notice it.:wink:

The diner itself has quite some charme and hits the exactly right look. The choice for a gym upstairs is a bit surprising, but fits to the trend of having the sets inhabited by often quite different stores and people. The little recording studio is a fun feature. Together with the record and the car you can easily reenact the rise of the King to be... The king. Nice to have, I have to say.:classic:

Since I'm still very new to the modulars-game, I don't plan to get it in foreseeable time though. There are some older ones which want to be got before. Still it is a quite interesting set for sure.