Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

Well, as much as I love the fresh idea of bringing the modulars in the time of art deco the colours are just a little bit too much for me.
And especially the big Diner sign makes the building look small in my opinion.
Other than this I feel that there would have been nicer options to include printed tiles instead of all the star tiles that we already have seen a lot (especially in Palace Cinema) e.g. the Jack Sparrow printed belt piece that looks like bacon. Or the printed waffel piece from the Lego Movie sets. Also instead of the big brick build Diner sign that in my opinion destracts a lot from the rest of the building there could be a printed 2x4 tile like in the Parisian Restaurant as a more subtile Diner sign. And maybe make the round dish on top a nice clock.

Anyway I did some quick photoshopping to change the colours and replace the sign and also the 4x4 dish. For me this would be a very much more fitting art deco style for my modular street.
But I guess I will just remove the Diner sign when I have it build. Because this is bugging me the most somehow. (plus the 5x5 bow pieces do not excist in some earthy colours...)

(on top I don't see a lot of extraordinary new building methods but I am happy to be hopefully surprised when I buy and build it anyway.)

38734373381_dac037ae5e_b.jpg

Even with only the big Diner sing removed I think it looks better (more like a solid, higher building). But then there needs to be something else there for which I did not came up with an idea yet...

38734372411_e4e479263a_b.jpg

This is just what I have been waiting for! This will likley become my favorite modular! Really looking forward to this one!

I would not change a thing. Waiting to the Designer Video.

Andy D

The building itself is nice, with some clever part usage. There are some lovely little interior details as well. The car feels unnecessary (even more so than the Palace Cinema limo) though and I really hope this doesn't mark a permanent end to good old smiley faces in the modular line as I'd much prefer those over the new style faces. 

1 hour ago, Skalldyr said:

Anyway I did some quick photoshopping to change the colours and replace the sign and also the 4x4 dish. For me this would be a very much more fitting art deco style for my modular street.

That looks really good, nice photoshop work. Would that change be one of the Nougat colors (Medium Nougat)?

Just now, koalayummies said:

That looks really good, nice photoshop work. Would that change be one of the Nougat colors (Medium Nougat)?

Thanks! The color that I used is no actual lego color, but it was easy to get evenly changed in photoshop. But I had exactly medium nougat in mind! :wink: I guess dark orange would also look nice tho.

I'm all for variety among the modulars to an extent, the extent is lenient relative to other opinions I have seen regarding certain architectural choices and colors (not that there's anything wrong with preference of course). I'm one of the people that loves this set. :classic:

Ever since the Palace Cinema, a 1950's diner in this style was on my mental wish-list of future buildings, and I'm pleasantly surprised they went for it. Ever since the Parisian Restaurant released, I feel that the amount of detail put into the buildings have been nothing less of excellent. This set continues what I feel was a positive development to the series, the set is glowing with detail and style (I love those circular windows at the side of the recording studio, never seen that done before!). My only complaint is that the pink Cadillac (pink Cadillac's were my favorite vehicle when I was a little kid) is a little too short/ out of proportion somehow, those cars irl are like boats (maybe I'm thinking of the wrong model)! I still love that car and will still display it as is, nonetheless. The colors are off in the pictures as mentioned, the actual colors look better and do not bother me at all. I love pink when used right, and I feel it is more than justified in this set, given the architecture, era, etc. I love the pancakes and bacon, the interior of this set reminds me of a diner I used to frequent when I was younger (It was a themed place, I'm not actually old enough to remember the 50's :tongue:).

There's so much more to talk about, but it would likely be more of the same (me rambling about what I like for 15 more paragraphs). I'm optimistic about modulars in general, especially the recent ones, maybe it's some bias I have towards the newer design choices. What's important to me is that I can honestly say that I am excited to add this to my collection. :grin: Great job to whoever designed this set!

@ukblock, I agree! Now you're getting me excited to rearrange my table. :)

Edited by Overcold

Wonderful modular! Sorry guys, but I love it! Looking forward to placing it next to my Modular Heartlake Hairsalon & Emma's House.

The jukebox is awesome, as well as the seating in the diner.

Not really impressed with this one. As much as I like the Detective's Office, it's small size was really disappointing, and this one looks smaller still. The change of heads is a shame, but that can be fixed easily. I don't think cars belong in the modular building series at all, as they simply take up parts that I think could be utilized elsewhere. Considering I own every modular building, I will still pick this one up, but if this is a sign of things to come, it's a bit troubling in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

On a side note, no one has madd mention of the fact that Ron Burgundy is in the gym. With a stunning bouffant, to boot.

Omg, compared the PC, it's soooo tiny. Now the greenish part with the windows looks way too small to make justice to the art deco style.

Maybe just maybe the DD can be the start of a new city block with a more modern theme.

By that I mean the previous 12 modulars form a perfect city block ( square ) if you modified MS into a 16 studs wide building:

26960505769_40736c8867.jpgLego Conductor

Onto the DD itself, Im not sure about it.  If the top floors above the Diner were a full 32 studs wide the "Diner" sign might not look so big and off centered.  Don't mind the car but miss the basic "smile face" heads on the minifigs!

@ukblock: Thank you for those side-by-side pictures. They strengthen my opinion that the DD does not work well with the previous modulars. You might have saved me some money!

1 hour ago, finnbricker said:

Wonderful modular! Sorry guys, but I love it! Looking forward to placing it next to my Modular Heartlake Hairsalon & Emma's House.

The jukebox is awesome, as well as the seating in the diner.

Great minds think alike!

[Modern Modulars] Hair Salon + MADO Ice Cream Cafe

Gonna place this guy on the LEFT ("Corner") side of the 10260. I was thinking of adding floors, but this way I can say it will most definitely work, and more so with the DD. That way people will have something to look out to instead of seeing another wall smack in their face, while the linear purpose of the set is preserved. Also some may observe the raised plate, I do a hybrid with GFLUG sidewalk and probs will make the same adjustment for the DD.

2 hours ago, ukblock said:

Hello, I'm new here. I think DD looks quite lovely next to DO

That's where I'll be putting mine!

8 hours ago, legojeroen said:

I think the problem is that the pictures are in CMYK color instead of RGB ;)

I happened after uploading to Flickr. The originals are okay.

When I resize the image and upload it, it's fine. So the originals are CMYK and after resizing and saving they turn back to RGB (or something). 

9 hours ago, sonicstarlight said:

I agree with this completely (and think snaillad is the king at doing this style right). I don't think the proper research went into what buildings of this era really looked like and instead they decided to add some curves and vibrant colors and call it a day. The tan portion makes no sense and its detailing completely clashes with the diner and tower portion. 

I miss the grandeur of the early modulars. Starting with the Parisian Restaurant, which I did like a lot, every modular has been either left part of the side open or was a combination of two or more buildings. Compare the Brick Bank with the Grand Emporium or this set with the Green Grocer and they just feel so unsubstantial. Yes, I also dislike the random move from the classic smiley faces, and yes I have no idea what to do with another car (thankfully less ugly than the Palace Cinema limo, but then again what isn't), and yes I don't like this new trend of putting random studs on the sidewalks now. But the trend that really gets me down is just the continued shrinking of the envelope. I want another full 32 studs devoted to just one building again.

I actually quite like the studs in the sidewalks, it helps keep the minifigs from falling over. I have those 2x2 jumpers all over mine. 

It is a nice set, i'd love to buy two of them and make some kind of standalone Diner of it! I might incorporate the pink car in the building though.. take only the front and mak a table of it!

Well, compared to the previous modulars, this one to me is kind of meh. The stories seem ok, but it the colour scheme, detailing of the interior and exterior, the car, and the overall feel just don't do it for me. I guess that's a good thing so I can save a bit of money for the Harry Potter Wizzarding world sets! :tongue:

3 hours ago, ukblock said:

Next to Parisian restaurant:wub:

38736714361_b9a0492b8d_b.jpgdd4 by VictorUK, on Flickr

Ouch. That jars somewhat.  Not in my layout. Perhaps next to DO

6 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Ouch. That jars somewhat.  Not in my layout. Perhaps next to DO

I was thinking about placing DD next to PR but with the stairs between each other so you get som space between the houses. 

I think it would look best with mirrored DO to the left and PC to the right. I plan on making a 32x32 with a very narrow (<16 wide) building on the left side and a parking lot on the right side to place next to the diner. Perhaps a record store or something similar.

Edited by Sammael