Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

I think this set is brilliant.

What I like is how different it is from all the previous sets. Yes, it may look misplaced in a modular street, but it might appeal to people not otherwise interested in modular buildings. Finally, we have a good example of a modern building. Personally, I really like how it's completely new, and I like some of the building techniques like the sideways white curved facade at the top of the first floor. The colors are also a deviation which I like. Dark pink may not have been my first choice for the lettering, but I like the combination with white and aqua (or what color is it exactly?)

exactly.

I love it.

I like modular building, but I have never bought one. I guess this one will be my first. 

edit: I do not like these "expression" faces, I do not like them anywhere, but that would be my only complaint.

Edited by J_C

53 minutes ago, snaillad said:

I still haven't purchased AS but looking at the last three modular buildings in a row, it seems quite a big come down compared to AS from last year. I'd be interested if anyone can truly say that this is 'progress' or that 'modulars just keep getting better'. I think the modular buildings sell well no matter what so maybe they don't even have to try very hard thesedays.

This is absolutely progress in my book, and while perhaps not the best building yet (hard to beat the deluxe size and varied design of Assembly Square), it's certainly up there near the top. It has loads of creative techniques from the use of curved arch pieces to create the window frame and awning to the fully SNOTTED front wall which minimizes the overhang of the window arches and eliminates the usual "seam" between floors. Also some delightful creativity in the circular windows along the sides of the big curved section, the brick lettering which feels much more organic than the blocky style we're used to on many of the other buildings, and the hood of the grill inside.

I'm surprised to see so much frustration directed at the car, which is about as proportionate as a car can be while sitting two minifigures side-by-side in a six-stud-wide space. Perhaps it could stand to be a bit longer, but then it would feel out of proportion with the building. It's every bit as detailed as I'd expect in a modular building set (in fact, much more so than previous vehicles in the series), and doesn't seem to detract at all from the size or level of detail of the building's interior or exterior.

Also weird to see so many people complaining about the pink or the set being too "Friends-ish", considering how little pink there is. Though maybe they're just judging from the grossly oversaturated pics in this topic. The pictures on Brickset look much better.

Just now, LegoDakin said:

But, I can understand the criticism about maybe this would have made a better corner building.

True. At first I thought it was a corner building, but then I noticed the holes. I reckon 99% will use this as a corner building, and maybe alter the pavement.

A lot of people don't like the 1950s US style diner motif. I am not particularly fond of it either. I don't, however, think it is entirely out of place in the modular street. The time periods are played pretty fast and loose in the modulars, so you can just assume it is a 50s nostalgia style theme restaurant put into a run down building.

Steve

Oh wow! That alternate face on the rocker dude is awesome! Almost as good as puke face from the Fairground Mixer. 

Edited by Vindicare

46 minutes ago, Jim said:

True. At first I thought it was a corner building, but then I noticed the holes. I reckon 99% will use this as a corner building, and maybe alter the pavement.

I wonder if you could put it with the Parisian restaurant to lessen the impact of that weird stair.

Steve

It may have some nice builds and details, it just doesn't fit the line.

Let's hope this 1950 style building is an single event..

There is something wrong with the pictures I linked from Flickr. They are hyper-saturated. I will check this out tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 hours ago, cmwcampbell said:

What is TLG thinking...this clashes horribly with the old-world aesthetic of the entire modular line to date. Ugh, what an eyesore.

What "old-world aesthetic"? Several of the modular buildings have been American-inspired (Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Palace Cinema, and Detective's Office stand out as examples), and most have had vaguely 1930s-ish architecture, which isn't far off from when the "Streamline Moderne" style seen in this set got its start.

My first thought was that this looks too much like a MOC. There’s wayyy too much SNOT and tiles... it looks really bad. Maybe removing the tiles from the stairs would help? 

Also that tan looks awful... but I don’t know what other color could have been used that might fit better. 

What’s up with the grill hood on the inside too? Surely they could have made that so it doesn’t stick out to the other side, requiring inverted slopes and creating ugly gaps. I think they might have used the small dump truck/ scooper piece? Completely unnecessary. 

The piping on the side and the lamp look really similar. Don’t like that either. 

And why wasn’t this a corner building? It looks awkward pushed up against the AS.

I actually really do like this building though. 1950s theme I think works quite well. Certainly better than BB or AS. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

There is something wrong with the pictures I linked from Flickr. They are hyper-saturated. I will check this out tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ShopLEGO.com and Brickset have pictures that have normal colours.

I love this set. It reminds me of the Art Deco city Napier in New Zealand where I have lived in the past.

Edited by AllanSmith

1 hour ago, Athos said:

I wonder if you could put it with the Parisian restaurant to lessen the impact of that weird stair.

Steve

This was my first thought when I saw it, Steve.

Another thought: since the Ninjago City (which I don't have yet) does fit in with the other modulars, but is so crazy in terms of color palate - maybe this would be a good bridge piece between older modulars and that.

I plan on getting plain Lego faces to swap out - no reason to have a mixture of expression faces and plain.  That is probably my biggest beef with it.

I LOVE that diner scene!  And I like the jukebox-type arch on the front of the building.

3 hours ago, snaillad said:

Glad to have finally seen the pictures. Pretty weak all over IMO. The one set a year I look forward to and it feels pretty 'meh'. I'm a big fan of and have built many Art-Deco/Streamline MOCs and I do alot of study into the architecture before and whilst building and this modular just feels lacking in technique and interest.

I agree with this completely (and think snaillad is the king at doing this style right). I don't think the proper research went into what buildings of this era really looked like and instead they decided to add some curves and vibrant colors and call it a day. The tan portion makes no sense and its detailing completely clashes with the diner and tower portion. 

I miss the grandeur of the early modulars. Starting with the Parisian Restaurant, which I did like a lot, every modular has been either left part of the side open or was a combination of two or more buildings. Compare the Brick Bank with the Grand Emporium or this set with the Green Grocer and they just feel so unsubstantial. Yes, I also dislike the random move from the classic smiley faces, and yes I have no idea what to do with another car (thankfully less ugly than the Palace Cinema limo, but then again what isn't), and yes I don't like this new trend of putting random studs on the sidewalks now. But the trend that really gets me down is just the continued shrinking of the envelope. I want another full 32 studs devoted to just one building again.

I think this is really really cool. Significantly better than the hodge-podge that was assembly square.  I love this.  Good Price point. will get it first day of release.

Also. complaining it "Doesn't fit" ignores the fact that most cities are NOT homogeneous. IMO, this makes a city feel more realistic, and less "Thomas Kinkaid"

Edited by jlassen
more thoughts... same topic.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I think the problem is that the pictures are in CMYK color instead of RGB ;)

I think it is a beautiful building! I also do not mind that they trew out the smiley faces, my city is full if cmf and regular figs anyways.

Just now, legojeroen said:

I think the problem is that the pictures are in CMYK color instead of RGB ;)

If the images were in CMYK they would be more muted, not more saturated. I believe the issue is related to the colorspace of Jim's computer or browser... e.g., Flickr may be converting the images improperly upon upload if he's using, say, a newer Mac with a Wide Gamut/HDR (High Dynamic Range) monitor and a browser that doesn't support the expanded colorspace properly (like Firefox). Or it's a translation issue between RGB and sRGB.  Something along those lines.

1 hour ago, BrickRally217 said:

What’s up with the grill hood on the inside too? Surely they could have made that so it doesn’t stick out to the other side, requiring inverted slopes and creating ugly gaps. I think they might have used the small dump truck/ scooper piece? Completely unnecessary.

The other side where it sticks out is the output, because the building doesn't have a chimney to funnel the smoke into. I think the creativity there is really amazing, myself, and the tiny gaps it leaves are pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things — it's not the first building to have tiny gaps between slope pieces like that.

The jukebox is the only let down for me, I dig the art deco fusion design and fresh original ideas for the upper levels.

Full marks Lego as what a set to release for the 60th birthday of our favourite brick as we know it today :sweet:

I'll buy it, now I'll ask this question of everyone and perhaps a mod might want to start a poll......classic smile faces or modern city style faces ?

Will people switch heads either way ?

13 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Will people switch heads either way ?

I plan to - that or find modern faces to put on all the modular minifigs.

I like the style of this modular. I think it will go well next to the detective's office in a street setup. The faces don't bother me as I have a mixture of minifigures in my layout and if you are really bothered it is an easy fix.

Not a huge fan of art deco but they nailed the style and there is plenty to like about this set. For starters I love the use of City faces, that was the right move and hope it stays for any future modulars. Really like the tiled studs-not-on-top facia of the Brick Yellow portion of the building as I always enjoy uncommon fraction-of-a-plate/brick offsets. The opening skylight and back staircase are awesome and there's interesting and subtle but clever connections throughout, many that I want to try out right now. Sad to see the 4-petal flower ('bracelet') pieces go but thats pretty insignificant and the pink car parts could go towards a number of other useful Town vehicles. And as always with the modulars if you don't love it 2480 pieces at 170 is still a great deal. 

I don't understand why there is so much dislike for the car in this set. There's nothing extraordinary about it, but I can't find anything particularly bad about it either. 

Other than that, I'm certainly looking forward to the New Elementary review and breakdown of this modular! :classic:

The modulars have always been in my rear view mirror and this one has really come close to being on my wish list. The Nighthawks type diner is a great look, and the contemporary feel of the gym and recording studio shows a greater eye for detail. On a side note, no one has madd mention of the fact that Ron Burgundy is in the gym. With a stunning bouffant, to boot.

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

On a side note, no one has madd mention of the fact that Ron Burgundy is in the gym. With a stunning bouffant, to boot.

Yeah, while I didn't mention it, it was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the figure. I never even thought that I would ever see a male minifigure don that hairpiece, but it does surprisingly work. *huh*