Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL - Nov FB] Lighthouse of Puerto Desafio

Puerto Desafio sits at the mouth of the Harlin River, where it empties into the Bay of Good Hope on the west side of Isla de Victoria. The river widens gradually, and while the delta is not particularly hazardous, a marker is needed to safely guide ships into the waterway. When Mardier first discovered the island and founded a settlement here, they built a lighthouse on a small rocky outcropping on the far western edge of the delta. During the Eslado-Mardierian war of 616-617, the upper half of the lighthouse was destroyed, but now Eslandola has rebuilt it and returned the lighthouse to full use.

05.jpg

Here we see the keeper of the lighthouse and a lovely visitor.

02.jpg

She comes to the lighthouse often to gaze across the bay and think about the time her merchant beau will return from his trade run.

03.jpg

Meanwhile, the keeper takes a break from his work and scans the sea as well.

04.jpg

But soon he will have to be back to work. The lighthouse uses dozens of tallow candles, and they often need to be replaced.

71.jpg

Some additional views:

Spoiler

01.jpg 

06.jpg

11.jpg    12.jpg

As usual, all C&C welcome!

Very nice @Capt Wolf! The lighthouse is very well textured, and coloured. The water is well done, and I like the story. 

So, what's your take on the type of property a Lighthouse is? :grin:

Great use of those prefab corner-tower pieces there, Capt Wolf - I must admit, I didn't even notice them for the first couple of looks!  Another excellent lighthouse in BoBS here, and the newly-built Eslandolan part looks quite good with the older structure below :thumbup:  I'm especially liking the sloping pattern there at the transition! :pir-classic:  The water is quite nice as well, and great to see another build for Puerto Desafio! 

Which reminds me - I should really get around to that micro-build I won sometime soon! :pir-grin:

Another great light house - I really like the use of sand green on top, and the stone tower is very well done! :thumbup: 

Nice one, puts mine to shame! I like the use of tan and white (which is good as that is what I did!), but I think your addition of the grey section at the top really adds to this build and I wish I had thought of it! I also like the addition of the vegetation to the rockwork and the water looks really good. Great job (as usual!) 

Today is lighthouse-day! Great work. The water and vegetation are a great addition.

I really don't like the big prefab parts from Lego too much, but I love it when builders better than myself manage to intregrate them fluently into their MOCs. I haven't seen many better integrations of those large parts before, fantastic!

Edited by Elostirion

8 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Very nice @Capt Wolf! The lighthouse is very well textured, and coloured. The water is well done, and I like the story. 

So, what's your take on the type of property a Lighthouse is? :grin:

Thanks all around! As for a property license :pir-grin: ... I'll just mind my own business and go for a medium commerce.

8 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Great use of those prefab corner-tower pieces there, Capt Wolf - I must admit, I didn't even notice them for the first couple of looks!  Another excellent lighthouse in BoBS here, and the newly-built Eslandolan part looks quite good with the older structure below :thumbup:  I'm especially liking the sloping pattern there at the transition! :pir-classic:  The water is quite nice as well, and great to see another build for Puerto Desafio! 

Thanks. I've had that inverse slope pattern in my pocket for awhile, and this was a good chance to use it. And if you didn't immediately notice the prefab corners, I did my job!

8 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Another great light house - I really like the use of sand green on top, and the stone tower is very well done! :thumbup: 

Thanks. I liked the sand green too. Glad you like it!

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice one, puts mine to shame! I like the use of tan and white (which is good as that is what I did!), but I think your addition of the grey section at the top really adds to this build and I wish I had thought of it! I also like the addition of the vegetation to the rockwork and the water looks really good. Great job (as usual!) 

Thanks. You're too kind. Your work usually outshines mine. I got lucky with the vegetation; it was a late addition because the rocks just needed something. But I've been thinking about this tower design for some time and finally found some time to build and a way to use it!

5 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Today is lighthouse-day! Great work. The water and vegetation are a great addition.

I really don't like the big prefab parts from Lego too much, but I love it when builders better than myself manage to intregrate them fluently into their MOCs. I haven't seen many better integrations of those large parts before, fantastic!

Yes, it's lighthouse day! :pir-grin:  I enjoy finding ways to incorporate the prefabs if they don't stand out, and it worked this time. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Excellent job on the first pic! Very eye catching!

Thanks! I have trouble photographing tall builds sometimes. I'm glad the shot works.

Wow, nice build! I like the lighthouse, the rocky base is very well made, so does the water, and the keeper looks really cool with the classic pirate torso.