Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

In a new action figure from Hasbro, Thanos has a sword similar to the Lego set and, above all, the helmet! Is there a possibility that our bigfig is not so wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wonkyeye1 said:

Teen Groot with a new expression according to J2G.

Huh. Well that’s a waste - did we really need that? I’d have rather liked to see one of the characters from the film that are actually missing from the line of sets, like Wong, human Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc - but perhaps they’re being saved for the yet-unrevealed seventh set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legozebra said:

Huh. Well that’s a waste - did we really need that? I’d have rather liked to see one of the characters from the film that are actually missing from the line of sets, like Wong, human Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc - but perhaps they’re being saved for the yet-unrevealed seventh set.

I rather have 2xVIP points.

 

Can i dream for both? Have Lego ever done that?

 

Just notice that Lego has put an infinity stone in each set LOL

 

Edited by just_one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, legozebra said:

Huh. Well that’s a waste - did we really need that? I’d have rather liked to see one of the characters from the film that are actually missing from the line of sets, like Wong, human Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc - but perhaps they’re being saved for the yet-unrevealed seventh set.

I agree. I can't believe out of all the characters they could've just from, they supposedly narrowed it down to Groot? Maybe it was to  save costs and reuse his specialized headpiece, but even so, Bucky, Wanda, Wong, War Machine: they wouldn't need new pieces either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wonkyeye1 said:

Teen Groot with a new expression according to J2G.

He mentioned it is rumored, so still a chance that it's not a Teen groot with a new expression. If it is though, it's disappointing. As others have said we have a variety of characters they could have given us - instead we get Groot. Hopefully the polybag, if it is Groot, has arm/leg print.

3 hours ago, just_one said:

Can i dream for both? Have Lego ever done that?

Potential release of the Polybag;

  • Polybags are normally for purchases of a specific set or with purchases of a wave of sets, for exclusive figure those tend to be tied to a specific set, the like sets being 76015, 76107, 76108.

Has double VIP coincided with an exclusive figure release before;

  • 2015 had Double VIP points for March which tied in with the release of the UCS Helicarrier which had an exclusive Winter Soldier figure.

Is there anything that may apply to us getting, or not getting, double VIP during March;

  • We know Star Wars is getting a double VIP promotion applied to those who brought the Millenium Falcon. It's unclear if this makes it more or less likely for another theme/themes to receive double VIP points. On one hand it's unlikely to be the only promotion as otherwise those who couldn't afford the Falcon would be annoyed while on the other hand it's unlikely Lego would offer double VIP points to Star Wars if they were going to offer double VIP points to a range of sets (unless it stacked and enabled quad VIP points)

In summary, it could happen as it's occurred before. Chances are if it did occur it would be specifically for the Superheroes sets given the lack of advertising double VIP points in the March Calendar, which would normally be done if it was for a range of themes. We'll have to wait and see though. Hopefully tomorrow gives us the prices via the NYTF.

Edited by Scarilian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think polybags are best when they're variants of figures currently in an available set/minor characters as they're generally harder to get than sets, so I'm glad it's a Groot variant instead of a main character in the film.

Edited by ood0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from Black Panther, and am super glad Shuri is in the IW line, because I'd be so disappointed if we missed out on a minifigure of her entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HyperOnion said:

Just got back from Black Panther, and am super glad Shuri is in the IW line, because I'd be so disappointed if we missed out on a minifigure of her entirely.

My thought exactly. One of my favorite characters! I wish we would’ve gotten a new mold for her panther gauntlets but we can’t have everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

My thought exactly. One of my favorite characters! I wish we would’ve gotten a new mold for her panther gauntlets but we can’t have everything. 

I don't mind the gauntlets--they're close enough, and they're not so defining to the character that having a "close enough" piece stand in for them bugs me. Not that I'd poo-poo custom gauntlets, obviously!

I'm more disappointed we're getting her in a fairly generic outfit / head instead of her more distinctive clothes / face paint. Although I'll gladly take it if that minifigure means she goes undercover at Peter's school and they become Science Bros and that becomes the rest of the movie, because there is literally nothing more I want to watch right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we got more Black Panther sets I’d really want to see

a casino fight one (undercover versions of Okoye/Nakia, unmasked T’Challa, Ross, maybe Klaue) and a Warrior Falls set (T’Challa, Zuri, M’Baku, Ramonda). I hope we get a sequel and more sets with new characters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen Black Panther yesterday on IMAX, have some thoughts:

First of all, great movie. It is so different. It creates a whole culture up to the smallest detail, and with that succeed in telling a compelling story with well-made characters, music and cinematography. 

Now to the sets:
I am glad Lego made sets for this film and wasn't scared due to it's different nature. However, I do not understand the lack in leg printing and overall detailed figures. Nakia and Okoey could have definitely got printed legs. They are so colorful it's a shame they didn't get printed legs. same goes for a lot of the figures in the infinity war wave that should have gotten printed legs (groot, outriders, shury...). generally Lego for some reason kind of cheaps out on the marvel line. (Of course, not all bad. I do love the build in most of the sets, and the figures are pretty good, just needs a little more).

Spoilers ahead!

Spoiler

As I have said I'm In love with the royal taloon build and with the mechanical rhino. The choices of figures are not clear to me. Don't get me wrong. I love klaw and kilmonger. but they're misplaced. 

I think the ultimate sets for this wave would be: 

40$ - "Royal Taloon Final Battle": Includes the rhino and the royal taloon. minifigures:  Kinetic suit black panther (PURPLE, with an extra head and hair fot unmasked t'challa), Klmonger (Gold panther suit), okoye,  W'Kabi.

40$ - "Klaw's Casino Chase": Includes a small casino, and a car for Klaw. minifigures: balck panther, Nakia, Klaw, everret ross, mercenary bad guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official pictures and the press release for the Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition are up on brickset.

1,363 and only US $120!

“Available from 3rd of March, no VIP early access.”

If we’re gettjng a press release, and a quote about no VIP early access, it can’t just be the retail exclusive.

I’ve got to say, I like the price and the price to part ratio. And I really like the model, seeing it in official pictures. There is plenty of detail on the back, and I like the building up of some areas, mainly joints, so as they don’t look too plain. It won’t be a day one but, but I will hopefully be picking this up. Much more affordable than 76042.

Additionally, there is but one light brick, centered in chest reactor. My biggest gripe with this is the minifigure. Lego could’ve included more Iron Men, but my main problem is with the one they did. They could’ve gone all out on detailing like with Boba Fett in the UCS Slave I. But instead we got no arm or side leg printing. Something on par with the Silver Centurion suit would’ve been greatly appreciated, but alas.

Edited by Aegis2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$120 is much better. The back of the build is surprisingly well detailed and the inside looks nice. Still annoyed that the legs can’t move but I’ll figure out a solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrcngrck said:

after seeing pictures I think Im gonna pick up this. would old head piece be more accurate? 

No, it’d be far too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Negatives;

  • I thought it would at least have knee articulation - but with no forwards/backward leg articulation, no knee articulation, all the Mech can do is stand straight or with legs apart and move it's arms. Why even bother with arm articulation if you cannot put the Mech into poses? You cannot accurately replicate any scene from the films because it cannot move it's legs. It just stands there with the option to raise or lower it's arms on joints that will weaken quickly because (as we know from Fire Mech) they cannot support the weight.
  • The price is too high for what the set is, not counting the amount of pieces the mech is smaller than all others main Ninjago Movie Mechs released recently
  • Head is too large/domed to replicate the Hulkbuster helmet which is less domed
  • Tons of stickers - virtually no printed pieces other than the helmet from what i can see
  • Unnecessary greebling, random tiny pieces all over the set, a majority dont really fit and seem like they would fall off. This coupled with unnecessary colours being thrown into the mix makes the design of the Hulkbuster look unfinished (probably the intention) but it's not something I'd want to display in its current state
  • Jackhammer arm is not accurate, the movie version replaces the entire arm including an altered shoulder and altered designs of the entire arm

Positives;

  • I am surprised that we have a rotating torso. I think this is the first time a Lego Mech has had a rotating torso, though i may be wrong about that.
  • The price to parts ratio sort of justifies it, but a majority of that is taken up with aspects of the set which are not needed such as the large unnecessary base.
  • The coverage is also fairly good, the back of the hands require a little work but otherwise it seems good - i'd question how sturdy certain aspects are though and a few aspects feature exposed technic pieces that could probably be covered up easily
  • Addition of a light brick is nice, but the set desperately needed more - the hands are clearly meant to include one given the design is sort of lacking around that area and it seems easy enough to swap out a brick for a light brick to give him repulsor hands

Overall;
I think combining aspects from Quake Mech, Fire Mech and UCS Hulkbuster could work quite well. In particular Quake Mech has a better arm connection method and Fire Mech has a better leg connection method enabling forward/backward articulation. I will be attempting this when i eventually get the set, but the price is still way too high to be a purchase without a promotion. I have VIP points enough to knock it down to a more reasonable £75 though so perhaps will pick up the set sooner just for the sake of modding it. Shall probably spend a while replicating it in LDD to get a sense of what would need to be altered to give such articulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

Official pictures and the press release for the Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition are up on brickset.

1,363 and only US $120!

“Available from 3rd of March, no VIP early access.”

If we’re gettjng a press release, and a quote about no VIP early access, it can’t just be the retail exclusive.

Hogwarts Great Hall wasn’t D2C and got a press release so it’s possible, but I agree it definitely doesn’t look promising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mrcngrck said:

I wouldn't be so sure

 

I believe what he means is the helmet would be too small on the LEGO build itself, otherwise too much of the inner armour would be exposed. Also as evidenced in this photo here, the helmet uses a different clip on function to the 2015/IW helmets

76105_Func_01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So;

  • Leg Articulation
  • Knee Articulation
  • Shoulder pads
  • Cover Technic pieces
  • Scale issues with chest/head
  • Colour scheme fixing

Anyone else got any suggestions of improvements for the modification? Will probably set to work on it now and see how it goes (Some nice music for the project) :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think im gonna make this a little bit smaller using old head. I love foot design

Edited by mrcngrck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Negatives;

  • I thought it would at least have knee articulation - but with no forwards/backward leg articulation, no knee articulation, all the Mech can do is stand straight or with legs apart and move it's arms. Why even bother with arm articulation if you cannot put the Mech into poses? You cannot accurately replicate any scene from the films because it cannot move it's legs. It just stands there with the option to raise or lower it's arms on joints that will weaken quickly because (as we know from Fire Mech) they cannot support the weight.
  • The price is too high for what the set is, not counting the amount of pieces the mech is smaller than all others main Ninjago Movie Mechs released recently
  • Head is too large/domed to replicate the Hulkbuster helmet which is less domed
  • Tons of stickers - virtually no printed pieces other than the helmet from what i can see
  • Unnecessary greebling, random tiny pieces all over the set, a majority dont really fit and seem like they would fall off. This coupled with unnecessary colours being thrown into the mix makes the design of the Hulkbuster look unfinished (probably the intention) but it's not something I'd want to display in its current state
  • Jackhammer arm is not accurate, the movie version replaces the entire arm including an altered shoulder and altered designs of the entire arm

Positives;

  • I am surprised that we have a rotating torso. I think this is the first time a Lego Mech has had a rotating torso, though i may be wrong about that.
  • The price to parts ratio sort of justifies it, but a majority of that is taken up with aspects of the set which are not needed such as the large unnecessary base.
  • The coverage is also fairly good, the back of the hands require a little work but otherwise it seems good - i'd question how sturdy certain aspects are though and a few aspects feature exposed technic pieces that could probably be covered up easily
  • Addition of a light brick is nice, but the set desperately needed more - the hands are clearly meant to include one given the design is sort of lacking around that area and it seems easy enough to swap out a brick for a light brick to give him repulsor hands

Overall;
I think combining aspects from Quake Mech, Fire Mech and UCS Hulkbuster could work quite well. In particular Quake Mech has a better arm connection method and Fire Mech has a better leg connection method enabling forward/backward articulation. I will be attempting this when i eventually get the set, but the price is still way too high to be a purchase without a promotion. I have VIP points enough to knock it down to a more reasonable £75 though so perhaps will pick up the set sooner just for the sake of modding it. Shall probably spend a while replicating it in LDD to get a sense of what would need to be altered to give such articulation.

Rotating torsos have been around for a while in Lego mechs. Both Samurai X mechs (normal and ghost version) have had rotating torsos, as well as Zane’s robot from the ghost Samurai Mech set. The original Power Armor Lex set had a rotating torso as well. I’m sure there are other examples but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Rotating torsos have been around for a while in Lego mechs. Both Samurai X mechs (normal and ghost version) have had rotating torsos, as well as Zane’s robot from the ghost Samurai Mech set. The original Power Armor Lex set had a rotating torso as well. I’m sure there are other examples but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. 

Ah, never brought any of them and dont think i've seen reviews of them. Though yeah, i guess at least it has the rotating torso here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.