Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

45 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

Lol. Are you serious?

Yea. Everyone here are hyped up and think the sets are the greatest ever, but for what you pay you get lackluster sets. Because sets have a spiderman figure doesn’t mean they are worth the overpiced retail price. 

But the sanctorum looks okay although I expected more after all the positive rumors. It just seems that everybody thinks quarter/half builds or random vehicles are amazing.

Like the wave overall but here are just a few of my gripes:

Hulkbuster set looks like an Iron Man version of Lex Luthor’s new mech in the sense that both are very mish-moshy. The complaint with the Hulkbuster last time was that it was too big (it was but I thought it was fine; I loved it actually) and now its even bigger and somehow worse! 

Falcon’s brick built wings are cool, not sure why they just didn’t recolor the mold from last time but whatever.

The Wakandan wall looks like a quick MOC any one of us could whip up; not Lego set quality.

Milano lacks in terms of a build and figures. They had a perfect design this last wave and they just had to go and ruin a good thing. 

Edited by Legocity2713

6 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

Yea. Everyone here are hyped up and think the sets are the greatest ever, but for what you pay you get lackluster sets. Because sets have a spiderman figure doesn’t mean they are worth the overpiced retail price. 

But the sanctorum looks okay although I expected more after all the positive rumors. It just seems that everybody thinks quarter/half builds or random vehicles are amazing.

We do not know yet the price tag of the sets, nor the pieces count - so how can you judged the sets by that?

2 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

We do not know yet the price tag of the sets, nor the pieces count - so how can you judged the sets by that?

We know the prices.

Attack of Riders (76101)
Set price: €14.99
The Search for Thor’s Weapon (76102)
Set price: €24.99
Corvis Glaive Attacks (76103)
Set price: €39.99
The Hulkbuster Fight (76104)
Set price: €34.99 
Thanos: The Last Battle (76107)
Set price: €79.99
The Battle in the Sanctum Sanctorum (76108)
Set price: €99.99

Edited by Scarilian

4 minutes ago, Legocity2713 said:

Hulkbuster set looks like an Iron Man version of Lex Luthor’s new mech in the sense that both are very mish-moshy. The complaint with the Hulkbuster last time was that it was too big (it was but I thought it was fine; I loved it actually) and now its even bigger and somehow worse! 

I wouldn't say it's worse at all. If you compare side by side the new one clearly is a lot more detailed. Bigger, probably, but it doesn't seem to have exposed technic parts like the old one did at the hips and such. The only problem I have is that I'd rather just have more buildings and locations than another hulkbuster.

5 minutes ago, Legocity2713 said:

The Wakandan wall looks like a quick MOC any one of us could whip up; not Lego set quality.

I think the wall looks very good. Have you seen the alternate builds for 31075? :laugh: 

@Scarilian

Great, about $35 USD for 76104 isn’t bad at all!

Sets look amazing, especially the Sanctum Sanctorum, but isn't the escape pod in the Thor set supposed to connect to the back of the Milano? That would look quite odd.

5 minutes ago, TheBrickLord said:

Sets look amazing, especially the Sanctum Sanctorum, but isn't the escape pod in the Thor set supposed to connect to the back of the Milano? That would look quite odd.

why? look at the colors, they continue well through the escape pod from the milano (the orange and the sand blue I think)

15 minutes ago, TheBrickLord said:

...isn't the escape pod in the Thor set supposed to connect to the back of the Milano? That would look quite odd.

I totally forgot about this! I’m very intrigued to see how that looks, as well as the inside of the Milano.

Well the day has come. The day I have been looking forward too for 3 years. The day I get to see Infinity War set pictures. Here we go.

First up the Outrider Dropship Attack. Honestly this might be one of the best $13 sets in a long time. The minifigures are fantastic! Great new Cap and Widow and some amazing Outrider's. The build is also very cool, love the blue colouring and love the very blue feel of the whole set. 

Thor's Weapon Quest. The minifigures are very good this time around, Rocket is the same as last time but he does not need a big change. Groot looks cool but a bit weird in my opinion, I think the arms just don't look right, I love the head but honestly I think this my least favorite Groot so far. Thor's looks cool and the torso is great but the eyes, that's all I'm going to say. The side build is nice, looks like a location so I'm ok with that. The vehicle is weird to be honest, I'm not sure I like it. Maybe it will look better combined with the Milano, but on its own it's just weird. 

Hulkbuster Smash-Up. This has the worst minifigures selection I think, Próxima Midnight looks great but the rest are bleh, Same Bruce, Falcon is too similar, and no Hulk. The tower is alright. The Hulkbuster is great for people who don't have the 2015 one but I do have that version so this is useless. It does look like an improvement except the arms which look ugly to me. The rest is fine, and if it's $30 then it's a great price, but it is still my least favorite of the 6 sets.

Corvus Glaive Thresher Attack. If the big set was not so damn good this is the one I would get (still might too). Minifigures are solid, new ones are cool but the repeat's drag the figs down. The Thresher looks cool, but the main thing is that build of the wall. Oh man is it cool. I was originally thinking it would be a dull tan colour so the fact that it's a very good mix of black, purple, and gold is a very pleasant surprise. Definitely a very cool playset, love the walkways on the wall, and it seems like a very cool interior. Definitely a great $40 set and most of the time I would absolutely but it, but on this occasion we have an unusually good $100 set, we'll get there latter. 

Thanos The Last Battle. Minifigures are cool, glad Gamora is different, and the new Iron Man is very cool. Thanos seems to be very controversial here, I think he looks cool. Besides his head I think the rest of him is fine. His helmet is unnecessary but does not ruin the figure and will probably be fixed in time for next year Infinity sets. Star-Lord being the exact same is disappointing though, he could have been different. I actually like the Milano, or at least I like it better then last year's. The 2014 is still the best and that may never change. But this one is alright, colouring is weird but it seems like it has a descent interior which is more then last year's. 

The Battle Of The Sanctum Sanctorum. Minifigures fantastic! Love all of them which besides the $13 set is the only one I can say that with in this wave. New Spidey is great and very appreciated, same with Iron Man. Doctor Strange still looks great and the new hair piece fixes the last one's big problem. Ebony Maw is also great and my 2nd favorite of the Black Order. Cull Obsidian is my favorite member though and one of my favorite figs of this wave. But on too the build! Oh my this is one hell of a set! The exterior itself honestly looks like a modular! It's just so fantastic! And Sanctum Sanctorum's Windows might be my favorite part of any Marvel set ever! I can only imagine what the interior is like but from what I have heard it's going to be just as good as the ex. All this said this might be my favorite Superheroes set ever. Jokerland and The Ultimate Bridge Battle are close but I think this overall is better. In fact this Is I think better then some modular's including the new Downtown Dinner (which I love). It's just Soo good and the price is only $100. For that I can definitely say I am buying this. I would not be surprised if when I make my favorite sets of the year list this is very high up. 

Overall very good. Minifigures which are most of the time the main draw to Superheroes sets are the week part of the wave. But the mostly fantastic builds make up for that completely. Here is my ranking of the sets. 

6. Hulkbuster Smash-Up 

5. Thor"'s Weapon Quest 

4. Outrider's Dropship Attack 

3. Thanos The Last Battle 

2. Corvus Glaive Thresher Attack 

1. Battle Of The Sanctum Sanctorum 

I have downloaded the sets if anybody needs them. 

Edited by Khscarymovie4
Changed mind on Flickr upload

Really like all these sets! While I will be getting the Sanctum,  I still prefer mine! (Hopefully the photo doesn' show up getting,  I've put it as a link but it' displaying in full....)

Dr Strange : The Sorcerer Supreme's Sanctum Sanctorum

Ow wow that Sanctum! That clear dish with the sanctum print. I love it! I am never really into mcu stuff but this is going to be on my must-get-list. It even isn’t feeling mcu, but has more the modular feel to it. Plus it has lots of stuff to play with. Once i made an attempt on ideas for a spiderman skyline set and this one will tickle my urges to make something like that out of it. Well done Lego. I want to see more pics of it please :-)

I was trying not to look and read too much on this thread because of spoilers, but i really love the Milano set as well. Thanos and his gauntlet are fresh and the milano despite being a different colour i was used to looks also very nice. I like that it doesnt have the technical blades as wings, but plates. Plates are more (easier) usefull for building something different

minifig Groot is also superb. 

By the way, has Thanos a new weapon piece?

Edited by Borex

Thought time :3

76101; The Outrider Dropship Attack €14.99 - 4 figures (1 repeated)
(Same Price as 'Iron Man Vs Ultron)

• If this is meant to replicate the drop pods that fall onto Wakanda, the colour scheme does not really fit.
  • The claws do not fit Captain America much, would have been improved if a darker colour also.
  • Inclusion of extra Outrider justifies the price

76102; Thor's Weapon Quest €24.99 - 3 figures

• Ship looks 'ok' nothing special, might be more interested in it when seeing it attached to the one in the Ultimate Battle set.
  • Small side build seems a bit pointless, not sure what it is trying to represent...
  • Thor's weapon looks alright but could have been improved by having the colour of the axe match the back of the weapon piece.
  • Really needed Thor's eye-patch.
  • I guess Groot/Rocket are meant to justify having fewer figures but neither really stand out much (from pics of the figures)

76103; The Corvus Glaive Thrasher Attack  €39.99 - 5 figures

• The Thrasher itself looks unnecessary, perhaps it's a fun mechanism to play with, but it's not particularly interesting in terms of design.
  • The wall build looks great (depending on how much of it is stickers) and it appears to have a function given the technic piece inside.
  • Corvus's Weapon looks good here.

76104; The Hulkbuster Smash-Up €34.99 - 4 figures
(Same Price - 76031; The Hulkbuster Smash)

• The Hulkbuster itself is an improvement over the last version, the level of detail is increased and it overall appears more accurate to the movie. A few aspects could definitely be improved though, most noticeably the inner thigh and the feet having noticeable Lego studs that could have easily being covered up. The Dark Red CCBS shoulder piece is something i've wanted for a while.
  • In regards to the rest of the build i would personally have sacrificed the shooter to improve the Hulkbuster more, it's an 'ok' design but nothing about it really adds to the set much in my view. The clear trans-purple Nexo Knights shield piece however could be very useful, I'd guess its part of the Wakanda defenses given the colour scheme.
  • Proxima's weapon is bland
  • Falcon's brick built wings are fine but not necessary and probably sticker covered

76107; Thanos' Ultimate Battle €79.99 - 3 figures + 1 big fig
(Same Price as 76051; The Superhero Airport Battle)

• Ship is odd, not really interested in it but it's cheaper getting this set than buying the figures on their own.
  • Has a similar price to Superhero Airport battle and unfortunately looks like the ship has roughly the same size despite the set only having a ship build from what i can tell. Not sure where the rest of the budget for this set went.
  • Does not really feel worth the price
  • The figure count is insanely low and even a big fig Thanos does not justify it - in comparison 'The Superhero Airport Battle' had 6 figures, 1 microfigure and 1 giant brick-built Ant-Man along with a Quinjet and an Airport build. This feels incredibly lackluster in comparison.
  • It needed two more figure at least, i probably wont get it at full price.

76108; The Sanctum Sanctorm Showdown €99.99 - 4 figures + 1 big fig
(Same Price as 76057; Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle)

• Exterior build of the Sanctum looks fine, i like the new Window piece, seems accurate
  • Need to see the interior, but from the exterior it looks small and empty on the inside
  • The other segment does not really feel suited to the Sanctum and would have gladly sacrificed the exterior detail on the other segment to get a thicker Sanctum segment
  • Cull Obsidian looks good, should really have had something to separate the legs from the torso in terms of colour. Hammers is an odd choice of weapon for him but perhaps he uses them in the movie
  • It needed one more figure at least to justify the price

Main critiques
Some of these sets simply dont justify the price in terms of appearance due to a low amount of figures or poor builds - coupled with inaccurate or badly done figures (Looking at you Captain America) I find this a bit of a difficult wave to rank, but here goes.

6. 76101;The Outrider Dropship Attack €14.99
5. 76102; Thor's Weapon Quest €24.99
4. 76107; Thanos' Ultimate Battle €79.99
3. 76103; The Corvus Glaive Thrasher Attack €39.99
2. 76104; The Hulkbuster Smash-Up €34.99
1. 76108; The Sanctum Sanctorm Showdown €99.99

Neither of the most expensive sets I'd feel comfortable with getting at retail value, though admittedly Sanctum feels more justified for the price than Thanos Ultimate Battle. Sanctum remains in a high position for the moment as i need to see the interior before judging, but it could easily drop lower if the interior sucks.

Edited by Scarilian

1 hour ago, GeekByKnight said:

Reddit's lego page

Thank you!

Wow! These sets look great! Honestly this is best superheroes wave for builds! I love the builds in every set! The Sanctum set is a day one buy and I love that it can be displayed open and looks amazing! So much detail! I love the new Milano! The hulkbuster set is great! I love how the feet look now! Falcon’s wings are great! I think they finally nailed that. No complaints here! Well done LEGO! Can’t wait to see the last two sets to round out the minifigure selection! 

Sanctum Sanctorum looks a lot better than I anticipated, it's very modular looking. The panther set's structure looks nice, and the hulk buster looks better than the last one but it's still too big. The outrider set looks like a good army building set, Thor set looks decent, but that Milano(?) set is looking a little bland, like I thought there'd be some kind of structure to house that gauntlet stand.

Overall I think all these sets except for the Thanos set were well done, but just not interesting enough for me to buy, except that Sanctorum. I can't wait to see clearer images of it.

Looking at the Sanctum build, it's significantly more accurate than I was expecting.  (If you have it available,) compare the build to the MCU's Sanctum:

548?cb=20161105181503

It has the first floor, third floor, and roof level, with many, many details copied from the real thing.

It has the curved roof to the balcony, the off-white pillars with crowns against a brick-red exterior on Floor 3; on the top, it has the grating along the roof edge, the windows flanking the Seal, off-white trim, and multiple sets of chimneys in groups on the corners of the roof; and the ground floor has the funky and dingy parallel lines represented in gray tiles.

Heck, even the breaks between floors are pretty well represented by the studs out construction.

Pretty much the only egregiously inaccurate things about the exterior are the size (unavoidable), that floors 2 and 4 are missing (unavoidable for same reason), and that the roof isn't green.  The last is the only thing they could've really done better about the facade on their budget, and I'm not sure why they didn't fix it.

Damn. Will have to get them all, including at least one more Sanctum without figs in order to make a larger building (or two).

It seems like both Sanctum and Milano have Mk50 Iron Man, which is great, but where did updated Mk43 which was leaked a while ago go? Is it inside Hulkbuster or in exclusive set?

Also surprised by just 3 minifigs in Milano set. I know bigfig counts for more than 1 fig, by c’mon Lego, would it kill you to include 1 or 2 other minifigures? Drax and Mantis would be great addition to this set.

Edited by benderisgreat

4 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

It seems like both Sanctum and Milano have Mk50 Iron Man, which is great, but where did updates Mk43 which was leaked a while ago go? Is it inside Hulkbuster or in exclusive set? 

It's not listed among the figures in the Hulkbuster set... it could potentially be in that set, it would help to further justify the cost given the original had a big fig. I expect it's in the exclusive set, though i'd question why we have seen that and not the rest of the figures in the exclusive set.

7 minutes ago, N_Cat said:

Looking at the Sanctum build, it's significantly more accurate than I was expecting.  (If you have it available,) compare the build to the MCU's Sanctum:

548?cb=20161105181503

Main difference is really the width, could have done with the side segment being sacrificed to give us a wider building. If the door is double sided then I'll be buying two and giving it the wider look it needs. The side segment really is from somewhere entirely different, i'd guess it's mostly related to Spider-man.

Edited by Scarilian

The more I look at new Milano the more I like it. Sure 2014 one still looks better, but it seems to be quite large, hopefully there some interior besides cockpit. And the fact there's detachable pod adds to my liking the ship. 

The fun thing regarding the Sanctum set is that if you buy more of them to make it bigger, you’ll be able to sell those figs quite easily i guess for a good price. So a second sanctum should be cheaper.