Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

Funny everybody is raving on how much they like this set, I see it and say crud more mechs two in one set none the less, I literally have an army of mechs and don't really want any more. I do understand there are people out there though that love mechs and just can't get enough of them and that's cool. Hopefully they are really good ones, since I will probably get this set anyway. 

2 hours ago, Mattallica said:

is that a new part on the venom ankles?

Do you mean the ankle piece or something else? To me it looks like a regular ball joint.

4 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Funny everybody is raving on how much they like this set, I see it and say crud more mechs two in one set none the less, I literally have an army of mechs and don't really want any more. I do understand there are people out there though that love mechs and just can't get enough of them and that's cool. Hopefully they are really good ones, since I will probably get this set anyway. 

Well to be fair the Venom "mech" isn't really a mech. Its more like Venom in big symbiote form and as such it is more appealing. I agree that the Spider-Mech is a bit odd but for play purposes I do understand why they included it.

I Think its actually Monster Venom, just a big version of him, as said above.

Edited by Walter529a

1 hour ago, Catanas said:

...and Spider Gwen looks seriously bland. The colours that really make her costume pop just aren't there. 

Agreed. Love the character and her inclusion in an official set, but the minifig could definitely use more printing.

Now that’s a cool set! Sure Spider mech looks horrible, but giant symbiot build is great! Minifigs wise 50/50 new Venom and Spidey, old (no pun intended) aunt May and then there’s Spider-Gwen. It seem they took her LMS2 version and kinda downgraded her with lack of arm and leg prints. But overall it’s a good looking set, but not for 50$, 40 at most.

I really, really like this set. $50 for 600 or so pieces is a great deal! The December 1st release is also pretty smart as well. The new Spider-Man based off of his Into the Spider-Verse appearance is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm so glad we're getting another new variant for Spidey. The new Venom is a nice upgrade of the old one and certainly looks great. Aunt May is nice as always, and SPIDER GWEN!!! FINALLY!

Spider-Man's mech is a little "meh" in my opinion considering we're getting a Batman one as well in the same time frame. I'll have to judge it in person, but I do like it's design and how it integrates the web pieces into the build. Monster Venom or his "mech" looks amazing. I love the look of it, I love the tentacles, I love how the head is built, I love it all. Can't wait to build that. I can probably see myself keeping the Monster Venom built while parting out the Spider-Man mech within the year or so. Gwen's hoverboard is nothing special. It looks nice, I guess.

Lastly, I love the web pieces. They're so useful for display! I love that we're also getting web handcuffs as well, seeing that Spidey does that a lot in the comics. This makes me really hopeful for at least a few more comic sets this year. Daredevil may finally become a reality!

19 minutes ago, Savage Oppress said:

probably going to skip the set, Venom and Aunt May are just repeat minifigures from the earlier sets that they were in.

Nope. Aunt May has a new variant (not that anyone really cares, it's just a different torso), but Venom is completely different from his previous version

Something that I don't think anyone has noticed yet is that the press release makes note of a 'tech spider'. And if you squint at the stud shooter arm of Spidey's mech, you can see what to me looks like one of the Tech Critters from the last Nexo Knights wave. That's interesting. 

But this set looks awesome. People are calling out the Spider-Man Mech for being skimpy with details, but to me it just looks like they kept it smooth, so that it would be agile and manoeuvrable, like Spider-Man himself. And the giant Venom is pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

I'm pretty sure that's just a repeated City torso with fleshie hands on Aunt May, but the Bridge Battle set a couple of years back was out of my budget at the time, so I won't protest the chance to get her. And Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider seems to have come from the same place that the Wasp did, but I guess poorly detailed Spider-Gwen is better than no Spider-Gwen. 

Definitely getting this ASAP. If it really releases December, it'll be just in time for the Christmas sales. 

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

Is that a new piece in red next to Spidey’s stud shooter, or have I missed something?

I think that is 4081b and two 20482.

42 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Nope. Aunt May has a new variant (not that anyone really cares, it's just a different torso), but Venom is completely different from his previous version

To be fair, Aunt May's torso has been used in so many city sets so it's not new.

1 hour ago, Savage Oppress said:

probably going to skip the set, Venom and Aunt May are just repeat minifigures from the earlier sets that they were in.

Venom face print is actually new, can't tell with the torso.

That's probably the best Spider-Man figure since the Homecoming sets. Judging by the symbol and the faint blue in the eyes the costume is based on his all new all different appearance. Giant Venom is pretty cool, and the new Venom figure does look better than the last one. I also like what looks like web handcuffs.

Edited by Raptor of Vengeance

This set is Incredible! Spidey's Mech is a cool build, same as Gwen's hoverboard. Giant Venom is one of my "all-time favorite builds"! It's so perfect. I love it so much! But those minifigures! Finally a new Spider-Man. Dual-molding! Aunt May is alaways cool, Spider-Gwen is awesome! No foot printing like in Lego Marvel 2, but it's awesome. Venom is the best! FINALLY a new variant. Old one had awful face printing. This one is perfect. Price is great! For 604 pieces, I would guess a 60-70$ price. But it's 50$! It may be my favorite Marvel set.

On side note: 76117 Batman Mech vs. Poison Ivy Mech. 76115 Spider-Man Mech vs. Venom Mech. So unoriginal :grin:

4 hours ago, Borex said:

Giant Venom looks awesome. New spidey looks good too (when will they start printing the dualmoulded legs and arms with webbing). I also like the new venom minifig, even though i’m not sure what version i like more. Spidergwen is a cool fig for all of her fans. I really love all the web pieces, and even web handcuffs? Spidey does that all the time in the comics, so yay for web handcuffs! The spideymech on heels is a bit too much for me. Also way to many stickers. I probably won’t build it. Too bad we get another Aunt May, i rather saw someone else thrown in 

I didn’t notice those were handcuffs! That’s awesome! Nice eye!

Gonna sell the actual Spider-Mech, but giant Venom is awesome (and I say that as someone who doesn't like Venom), the new Spidey minifig looks great (awesome to get an upgraded comics based Spidey, was not expecting that at all), and I'm super jazzed to get Spider-Gwen (even if that custom has completely spoiled me). And then also an Aunt May, which... I don't need another of, but always good to get more civilians, and the last one was in a $100 set, so not mad to get her out there again.

Awesome set overall, and I'm super excited we're getting a non-MCU wave!

I dunno if this is already mentioned but the new Spider-man head is perfect for Iron-Spider MCU!

Looking forward to that piece!!!

Venom’s torso is new as well, I saw a picture of the new and old side by side and there are some subtle differences. Also, I feel like Spider-Gwen couldn’t be improved unless they gave her arm printing and I guess they didn’t have room in the budget given the totally new Spider-Man and Venom figures as well as the new web pieces. I can’t tell what piece makes up the monster Venom’s head- is it new or just a constraction shoulder piece?

29 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Venom’s torso is new as well, I saw a picture of the new and old side by side and there are some subtle differences. Also, I feel like Spider-Gwen couldn’t be improved unless they gave her arm printing and I guess they didn’t have room in the budget given the totally new Spider-Man and Venom figures as well as the new web pieces. I can’t tell what piece makes up the monster Venom’s head- is it new or just a constraction shoulder piece?

I believe it's the Hulkbuster/Detroit Steel should piece

6 hours ago, Mattallica said:

this looks to be a cool set indeed, im thinking that the large venom is to be just that a "grown" version of the character and NOT a mech, notice the way the musculature is sculpted, the more organic feel of the tongue, claws and tendrils,and the minifig is not in any kind of cockpit. plus it makes much more sense character wise that spidey creates a large mech to battle a giant venom, instead of venom using a mech.

is that a new part on the venom ankles? looks good

Actually the official set description is up and says that the Venom mech DOES have a cockpit.

45 minutes ago, HyperOnion said:

Awesome set overall, and I'm super excited we're getting a non-MCU wave!

Are we? That would be great! Hopefully more comicbased villains as well (proper green-yellow Electro) and maybe some different spider-man versions (symbiote spidey is now possible because of the new torso Venom has and the sdcc one would still be exclusive). Bring them on!

Just now, Range Trooper said:

Actually the official set description is up and says that the Venom mech DOES have a cockpit.

Yeah playfunctions for kids of course, but we pretend it’ll be Venom that is grown by the Beyonder or  by drinking some weird potion or whatever :-)

Just now, Borex said:

symbiote spidey is now possible because of the new torso Venom has and the sdcc one would still be exclusive). Bring them on!

Technically not because we still need a generic black head with white eyes

Just now, Quicksilver838 said:

Technically not because we still need a generic black head with white eyes

Which could be the same as the sdcc one