Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

2 hours ago, TurnOffTheDark said:

My hulkbuster smash up set arrives today! I'm so happy about the minifig selection in the set as well as the updated mech

I agree, I like it very much. I purchased it in-store at a Walmart last night after getting out of work. My 76101-76103 and 76107 came in the mail today (after a shipping delay from winter weather).

Its going to be a fun weekend!

41 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

I agree, I like it very much. I purchased it in-store at a Walmart last night after getting out of work. My 76101-76103 and 76107 came in the mail today (after a shipping delay from winter weather).

Its going to be a fun weekend!

I hope you have fun! I hope to pick up the sanctum at some point as well

Just built the first three sets as well as the ship polybag. They’re amazing! I absolutely love this wave, even though it’s not perfect. I got multiples of the Outrider Dropship Attack, and the build is very nice when finished. Cap and Widow are both amazing figures and I adore the Outriders- they’re my favorite army builder figures yet! The escape pod in the Thor set is great, I love the design and the weird curves. Groot and Thor are awesome although I wish Thor had his eyepatch. The forge is okay, nothing very special and I feel like there could’ve been a better way to reveal Stormbreaker other than pushing a drawer open. The new Hulkbuster is my favorite set so far. Proxima Midnight is great and Falcon’s wings aren’t as bad in person (the new Redwing is much better too). The Wakandan turret is a cool build with a simple and easy play feature, but the new Hulkbuster is truly something special. Everything is improved! The articulation is great and the arm swinging feature is fun, and I’m very impressed that they included an official way to remove the feature. My biggest problem with the sets are actually the pieces used to hold figures in place- those T shaped Friends seating parts. They make the Outriders rattle around in their ship, Groot can’t stay sitting in the pod unless he leans against the glass window, and the slightest disturbance will detach Banner from the Hulkbuster. I like my figures to be securely connected to wherever they’re sitting or standing, and these pieces have just gotten extremely annoying. I’ll probably modify all of the sets with this issue to actually connect my figures to studs. 

sAf39v1.jpg

Finished the ucs hulkbuster. Excuse the shitty picture but I think the proportions are actually good outside of the head being a bit too big. Everyones saying hes too skinny but im just not seeing it. The head just needs to be 5 studs wide instead of 6 and it would be spot on.

Just saw that the Thanos Ultimate Battle Set is selling in my local Argos in Ireland for 27 Euro. If it wasn't for the damn snow I'd run down there and get it.

2 hours ago, fire117 said:

Just saw that the Thanos Ultimate Battle Set is selling in my local Argos in Ireland for 27 Euro. If it wasn't for the damn snow I'd run down there and get it.

If you've been following brickset you'd see people are only being given the thor,rocket and Groot set, as it's a mistake.

9 hours ago, chezzymann said:

I think the proportions are actually good outside of the head being a bit too big. Everyones saying hes too skinny but im just not seeing it.

I really don't understand all the negativity around this set, I think it's a very well realized recreation of the hulkbuster, proportions and all. 

Edited by IllustriousVar

1 hour ago, IllustriousVar said:

I really don't understand all the negativity around this set

The negative viewpoints stem mostly from the following;

• The inaccuracies regarding the colour scheme (A lot of silver/dark grey)
  • Lack of articulation (no knee, no forward/backward leg articulation, only forward/backwards elbow movement)
  • The shoulder pads which people feel could have been better handled
  • Exposed blue pins which easily could have been replaced with black to standout less and fit with the colour scheme more.
  • Exposed technic pieces including holes which could have been covered
  • Allocation of pieces/budget

People have other issues with the set also, but those are some of the main. It mostly comes down to it not being good enough to be a display piece and not being able to pose enough for playability. Personally think the legs and feet are great designs - if it had articulation it would be perfect in those aspects. It's just each aspects of the build is unfortunately let down by one aspect or another.

1 hour ago, IllustriousVar said:

proportions

yVKkR.jpgHot-Toys-Hulkbuster-Iron-Man-Scale-Size-LEGO-Marvel-Hulkbuster-Ultron-Edition-76
The Mark 43 suit is 6 feet 5 inches.The Hulkbuster is 11 feet exactly. As demonstrated via the official image (left) and the most accurate scaled Hot Toys version (middle), this means the legs are a minimum of  6 feet 5 inches tall, meaning the height of the body and head is no taller than 4 feet 5 inches (and that's including the dome of the head). If they were going for similar scaling in terms of proportions then the body should be shorter than what we got in Lego form. The head is also larger and more dome shaped in the Lego version - while it's more flatter and elongated for the official head, though that's somewhat excusable as it would have required Lego to create a new dome piece solely for this set.

Edited by Scarilian

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

The negative viewpoints stem mostly from the following;

• The inaccuracies regarding the colour scheme (A lot of silver/dark grey)
  • Lack of articulation (no knee, no forward/backward leg articulation, only forward/backwards elbow movement)
  • The shoulder pads which people feel could have been better handled
  • Exposed blue pins which easily could have been replaced with black to standout less and fit with the colour scheme more.
  • Exposed technic pieces including holes which could have been covered
  • Allocation of pieces/budget

People have other issues with the set also, but those are some of the main. It mostly comes down to it not being good enough to be a display piece and not being able to pose enough for playability. Personally think the legs and feet are great designs - if it had articulation it would be perfect in those aspects. It's just each aspects of the build is unfortunately let down by one aspect or another.

yVKkR.jpgHot-Toys-Hulkbuster-Iron-Man-Scale-Size-LEGO-Marvel-Hulkbuster-Ultron-Edition-76
The Mark 43 suit is 6 feet 5 inches.The Hulkbuster is 11 feet exactly. As demonstrated via the official image (left) and the most accurate scaled Hot Toys version (middle), this means the legs are a minimum of  6 feet 5 inches tall, meaning the height of the body and head is no taller than 4 feet 5 inches (and that's including the dome of the head). If they were going for similar scaling in terms of proportions then the body should be shorter than what we got in Lego form. The head is also larger and more dome shaped in the Lego version - while it's more flatter and elongated for the official head, though that's somewhat excusable as it would have required Lego to create a new dome piece solely for this set.

I think the ratio between the legs and torso is actually around 4/6, the legs seem to be slightly taller than the torso. maybe the torso could be one brick shorter but its pretty close. That image of the lego one you posted is just from an overhead angle which makes the torso look larger. In my opinion what makes the set look odd to a lot of people is the head being too big and the shoulder pads not being the right shape. But in my opinion they're close enough considering its lego and theyd have to sacrifice articulation and make a new dome shape specifically for this set to fix those problems. 

The only glaring issues I have with the set are the lack of leg articulation really. I think the whole thing is fantastically detailed like nothing we have ever seen from a lego mech. Even the backside is detailed up beautifully. Honestly could be in my top 5 sets this year depending on how the rest of the year goes. 

Just now, chezzymann said:

I think the ratio between the legs and torso is actually around 4/6, the legs seem to be slightly taller than the torso. maybe the torso could be one brick shorter but its pretty close.

UJnFAiE.png
Yeah, was trying to find a good shot of it not posed - i think a better photo displaying the issue might be this one from the review posted earlier. It's not massively out of scale, but i do feel it is a brick too tall. The back, legs and feet are probably the best parts of the build and it has a lot of potential - just needs better articulation and possibly altering the proportions of the main body. I can't wait to be able to mod it and give it the articulation it should have had - may make the issue of proportions less obvious if you could bend the knees for example.

I just feel like the proportion issue is blown out of proportion just a bit (no pun intended). It's by no means perfect, but I think it's fairly close. The head is definitely too big, but I actually think the legs are proportioned very well with the torso in terms of length, the problem actually stims from thickness. They're noticeably thinner than the Hot Toys version, which makes them appear taller than they actually are and the angle definitely doesn't help. 

ezimba11737032846900.png

Articulation is definitely a big issue though. It's slightly forgivable as this set was obviously intended to be displayed, but it's hard to defend the inability to even move its legs forward.

I think this set should be commended for it's coverage and added detail though. There's a level of attention I rarely see with most mech sets and I'd love if this were the first of many higher-tiered LEGO figures.

Edited by IllustriousVar

On 03/03/2018 at 12:07 AM, Scarilian said:

Just ordered the Hulkbuster; Ultron Edition. Used VIP points to drop it to £74.99 - still qualified for the three promotions. Looking forward to modifying it :)

Will wait for other promotions for the other sets - in no rush :P

On 03/03/2018 at 5:02 AM, Aegis2000 said:

@Scarilian I definitely like your idea of broadening those shoulder blades/pads, that’s a must.

I just ordered the Sanctum from Shop@Home and received the Kendo Zane training pod, The Guardians’ Ship polybag, and the color artwork print. 

No Groot keychain.

So I bought the UCS Hulkbuster this morning but I only had to GWPs. The small ship and the coloured art print. What was your third freebie? Was it the blank art print? 

Im hoping that they showed me the picture of the coloured one but I’ll actually get the blank. But who knows

2 minutes ago, legoSDR said:

So I bought the UCS Hulkbuster this morning but I only had to GWPs. The small ship and the coloured art print. What was your third freebie? Was it the blank art print? 

Im hoping that they showed me the picture of the coloured one but I’ll actually get the blank. But who knows

I received the ship, a ninjago dojo pod (Zane), as well as both a colored and uncolored art print with my purchase.

Im ok with some of the issues.. but the lack of leg articulation just straight up sucks. Like you're not even able to "kick" anymore. If designers can't manage, they should bring out new technic parts for mechs, to allow for stability, articulation and decoration.

@legoSDR To answer you’re wuestion I received a Ninjago Kendo Zane Battle Pod in addition to the two Marvel promos. 

I’d like to point out to you guys a pleasant surprise I found while building 76104: the return of The One Ring!

21 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

@legoSDR To answer you’re wuestion I received a Ninjago Kendo Zane Battle Pod in addition to the two Marvel promos. 

I’d like to point out to you guys a pleasant surprise I found while building 76104: the return of The One Ring!

I was surprised by that! I picked up the wedding favor set as well and when building it I was like “wow, the One Ring. I wonder if it’s in any other new sets because I haven’t seen it in a while.” Then I saw the ones in the Hulkbuster and I was astonished! It’s nice that we’re still getting two extras of that piece since it’s so useful. 

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Im ok with some of the issues.. but the lack of leg articulation just straight up sucks. Like you're not even able to "kick" anymore. If designers can't manage, they should bring out new technic parts for mechs, to allow for stability, articulation and decoration.

I'm only going to use it for display, so I'm not HUGELY upset about the lack of articulation in a set that isn't really meant for play. I do hate that it forces the the Hulkbuster into a ramrod-straight position, when the real thing has TERRIBLE posture. Really, that's why it looks wrong to me--it's standing straight up, when the real thing always looks hunched over.

6 hours ago, scoiltreasa said:

If you've been following brickset you'd see people are only being given the thor,rocket and Groot set, as it's a mistake.

I don't go on Brickset.

52 minutes ago, Aegis2000 said:

Really? I haven't seen it in any non LotR sets. That's great. I have like 6 of them but cool.

1 hour ago, legoSDR said:

So I bought the UCS Hulkbuster this morning but I only had two GWPs. The small ship and the coloured art print. What was your third freebie? Was it the blank art print?

The three promotions it showed me were the black & white art print, the coloured art print and the Guardians Spaceship. The black & white art print was limited to the first 13,000 customers, and i expect the system likely automatically removed it as an option after the limit was reached.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Really? I haven't seen it in any non LotR sets. That's great. I have like 6 of them but cool.

It’s been in a couple romantic sets (weddings, Valentine’s dinner) and in the Parisian Restaurant. I’m surprised at how much it gets around, but it makes sense since it’s the only ring piece Lego has to offer. 

I got the B&W print, the color one, the Ninjago pod, the mini Guardians ship, and the Year of the dog set 40235 for free with my purchase