Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

Well, bike feature in new Milano set is djust as issapointing as I expected. But at least it looks like cockpit could be easily redesigned to look normal. Hopefully there's at least some way to make more room in the middle of the ship, but I don't have much hope of that. Really like the way pod from 20$ set connects to the big ship. As for Sanctum, exterior looks great, but no interior is very dissapointing. Needs a lot of modifications!

2 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

But at least it looks like cockpit could be easily redesigned to look normal. Hopefully there's at least some way to make more room in the middle of the ship, but I don't have much hope of that. Really like the way pod from 20$ set connects to the big ship.

- The Escape pod fits three figures.
- The Gauntlet is on a 4x4 stand with the back section of the new Milano featuring room to store it - this could easily fit two figures if modified.
- The front cockpit of the Milano is seemingly 4 wide also by the looks of things - not sure how deep though. Two figures fit there currently via the 'bike'.

If you can modify the back section of the main spaceship, where the Gauntlet can be put, to store two figures then the spaceship will be able to fit seven figures - which in theory should be enough; Star Lord, Gamora (front), Drax, Mantis (Middle), Groot, Rocket, Thor (Back).

Edited by Scarilian

8 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Sadly I’m not going to hunt early since I’m waiting for VIP points and special offers and I’d like to get an entire wave at once for the first time. Good luck to everyone else though! 

Completely understandable. There isn’t a planned gift with purchase at this point for the Ultron Hulkbuster, correct? There’s nothing mentioned on the calendar, but I’ve read rumors of an Infinity War polybag on here.

I'm really looking forward to 76108 Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown. The set looks fantastic and will be a great display piece. I just don't like the technic beams used for support between the floors. Thor's Weapon Quest also has a cool looking ship and teenage Groot! Hopefully these sets aren't too expensive.

9 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Official image thoughts;

76101;Did not realize it could fit two of the Outriders in the pod/vehicle. Still just a figure pack though with two inaccurate Outriders and a poorly printed Captain America

76102; Sliding compartment under the Kiln is something i did not expect, but does not really add anything to the build. Spaceship being able to fit all three figures is good

76103; 'Interior' has an interesting design, medic bay set-up is simplistic but does the job i suppose

76104;Interior of the Hulkbuster actually looks improved over the last version, you see some of the inner workings and the front folds away via three segments rather than just one.The 'go to sleep' feature is inaccurately named as it's instead a smashing feature and not like the punching AoU 'go to sleep'

76107; The Bike feature looks silly and seems to take up all the interior as no sign of anywhere for the characters to fit, instantly making it the least useful Milano being completely over-taken by the play features leaving no room to seat the characters, definitely a downgrade from the previous Milano. Using the bike and seperate escape pod you can fit five characters whereas the Guardians is comprised of at least six (Starlord, Gamora, Rocket, Groot, Drax, Mantis). Escape pod attaches how we expected, ship still looks way too wide. You can put the Infinity Gauntlet on its stand into the back of the Milano, but this just takes up space and it's clear they did not account for the combined form where you'd be unable to open the compartment because the escape pod from 76102 is attached. Probably going to empty out the interior and rework it to fit four/five seats for the Guardians which should be easily done given the space is there, it's just taken up with play features.

76108; Allocation of pieces seems incredibly odd - mostly for the Pizzeria segment. It does not feel like 1000 pieces as a result. Lots of technic pieces. The descriptions were inaccurate originally, nowhere to store the Iron Spider suit - just a winch mechanism. Set would require quite the rework to be more focused on Doctor Strange - only two rooms out of the six really seem focused on Doctor Strange elements. Probably going to scrap the pizzeria side of the building and use it to extend the Doctor Strange segments, add some smooth floors, etc...

I don’t think the go to sleep function was ever meant to be on this small Hulkbuster. It’s clearly there on the large UCS one so I bet someone just assumed the function would be present on the small set since it was the only new Hulkbuster known to exist at the time.  

This Milano is a lot better than the GotGV2 one. It looks very unique and can fit 5 figures with the pod attached, whereas the old one could only fit 4 in an extremely cramped space that was hard to place figures into. At least the storage space should be easy to modify.

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

Going over the sets again, what’s with almost all the figures lacking leg printing and good detailing? I’d feel as if Infinity War would be the set range where they’d go all-out on designs, figures, etc, but no. Only the figures in the two largest sets have leg printing, and even there, figures that clearly are made to have dual molded legs do not have them, like Iron Spider. Proxima Midnight, Falcon, the Outriders, the list of figures with no leg printing goes on. Some of the worst offenders are in Thor’s Weapon Quest set, where Groot has very simplistic torso printing and no leg printing and Thor has a really simple torso print with no leg print as well. Does anyone know why these choices were made in regards to the figures of this wave?

25 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Going over the sets again, what’s with almost all the figures lacking leg printing and good detailing? I’d feel as if Infinity War would be the set range where they’d go all-out on designs, figures, etc, but no. Only the figures in the two largest sets have leg printing, and even there, figures that clearly are made to have dual molded legs do not have them, like Iron Spider. Proxima Midnight, Falcon, the Outriders, the list of figures with no leg printing goes on. Some of the worst offenders are in Thor’s Weapon Quest set, where Groot has very simplistic torso printing and no leg printing and Thor has a really simple torso print with no leg print as well. Does anyone know why these choices were made in regards to the figures of this wave?

It's not like Lego has any more capability of going "all out" with this wave than they would with any other. Dual molding in particular requires specialized equipment that makes up a much smaller portion of Lego's production line than the general-use molding machines that churn out single-color parts. Additionally, extra processes like additional printing and dual molding add extra production time compared to unprinted or single-molded parts, meaning the production output is lower—a factor that might be unacceptable for the production of the smaller sets that have to satisfy a much higher demand. Lego's more limited use of these sorts of techniques in smaller sets isn't just a matter of being stingy or trying to incentivize bigger purchases—there's a hard limit on the production resources that are available to them at any given time, and as such newer production techniques that use more specialized equipment are often reserved for sets that are produced in lower quantities like the biggest and most expensive sets.

These are all REAL underwhelming. At least the Cap/Widow set will be a good army builder/supply of legs with decent generic leg printing. Even then, these are all wait for discounts/3 for 2 offers sets. 

It's a shame, but maybe there just arent a lot of Lego friendly scenes in the movie.

36 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

There are some extra pictures on instagram which shows the sanctum closed up. 

Yeah, I really get the modular feel from it when it’s closed up, so long as you view it from the front. It gives illusion of depth.

Edited by Aegis2000

Can anyone tell what colour the walls of the middle floor of the Sanctum are? I thought they were medium dark flesh, but now it looks more like dark orange . . ?

After seeing Black Panther, I have to say that I wish Klaue used Zane's hair in black, and the other side of the head had his tattoo on it instead of an alternate face.

2 hours ago, ood0 said:

After seeing Black Panther, I have to say that I wish Klaue used Zane's hair in black, and the other side of the head had his tattoo on it instead of an alternate face.

It doesn't look so messy like it should be. It is really straight and like a bucket.

All the sets are good. I love them all. Now I even like Hulkbuster set.

It's really cool that escape pod fits 3 minifigures. I love Wakanda wall. It is a really cool and fun build. Hulbuster is an improvment, but I really dislike Falcon's wings. After seeing official pictures, I love new Milano. It just looks so cool. Amazing build, has a motorcycle and can fit 4 minifigures. But it looks even better with 76102. If you combine them, it can fit 7 minifigures! That's great. I don't like the space bike, but it is nice to have something like this. I love Sanctum Sanctorum as a set, great minifigures and build from the inside, it's amazing that this set has so many play functions also, but I don't know if I like it from the inside. It just looks so grey, has too many pin holes, and it hasn't got enough of decorations. It looks plain and boring.

After official pictures, I start to think that the best set of the wave is not Sanctum Sanctorum, but Milano. I still love SS, but inside it is just not so incredible as on the outside. And Milano looks so good in the inside as on the outside.

Alright so after watching Black Panther, here's a little review of how accurate the sets are

Wakandan Mine: pretty damn accurate to the final battle, the only error is Okoye is riding the Rhino whereas in the film she is fighting it

Talon Fighter: This really isn't based on a certain scene, more like it's just filling up the minifigure spaces of plain BP, Nakia, Killmonger and Klaue plus the fighter. Klaues arm really isn't accurate at all and Killmonger never used a rocket launcher are the only inaccuracies here

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's not like Lego has any more capability of going "all out" with this wave than they would with any other. Dual molding in particular requires specialized equipment that makes up a much smaller portion of Lego's production line than the general-use molding machines that churn out single-color parts. Additionally, extra processes like additional printing and dual molding add extra production time compared to unprinted or single-molded parts, meaning the production output is lower—a factor that might be unacceptable for the production of the smaller sets that have to satisfy a much higher demand. Lego's more limited use of these sorts of techniques in smaller sets isn't just a matter of being stingy or trying to incentivize bigger purchases—there's a hard limit on the production resources that are available to them at any given time, and as such newer production techniques that use more specialized equipment are often reserved for sets that are produced in lower quantities like the biggest and most expensive sets.

Well said, that’s a very valid point. The distribution of the more expensive dual molded elements and even printed legs has always been something that confused me - for example, Spider-Man debuted with dual molded legs in a $30 set for Civil War and proceeded to be included in $20 and $40 sets. Even Deathstroke had dual molded legs in a smaller sized set, which is why I was questioning at least the non-inclusion of dual molded legs for Iron Spider in the upcoming $100 set. But dual molded aside, it didn’t seem like lack of leg printing was anything that stopped Lego before, even in extremely small sets, so the lack of leg printing for the figures was still a bit confusing to me - I understand the cost issues, but if so, why not restrict costs on sets made for movies that aren’t as big as IW, such as Doctor Strange (a $30 set with three figures, all with leg printing)?

The newspaper sticker on the mailbox for the Sanctum Sanctorum set has Daredevil on it! I like to call that foreshadowing. 

In case anyone wants to try their luck!

76101 - DPCI: 204-00-2132
UPC: 673419282017

76102 - DPCI: 204-00-2133
UPC: 673419282000

76103 - DPCI: 204-00-2134
UPC: 673419281997

76104 - DPCI: 204-00-2135
UPC: 673419282475

76105 - UPC: 673419281928
UCS Hulkbuster Ultron Edition

76107 - DPCI: 204-00-2136
UPC: 673419281805

76108 - DPCI: 204-00-2137
UPC: 673419281782

2 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

In case anyone wants to try their luck!

76101 - DPCI: 204-00-2132
UPC: 673419282017

76102 - DPCI: 204-00-2133
UPC: 673419282000

76103 - DPCI: 204-00-2134
UPC: 673419281997

76104 - DPCI: 204-00-2135
UPC: 673419282475

76105 - UPC: 673419281928
UCS Hulkbuster Ultron Edition

76107 - DPCI: 204-00-2136
UPC: 673419281805

76108 - DPCI: 204-00-2137
UPC: 673419281782

Thanks! Is the UCS Hulkbuster being sold in regular stores? I thought it was a D2C...

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Thanks! Is the UCS Hulkbuster being sold in regular stores? I thought it was a D2C...

I believe that it's actually the store exclusive; off of that, either 76106 or 76109 would be the D2C.

This would be an excellent time to stop calling it the UCS Hulkbuster.

Edited by Azani

49 minutes ago, Azani said:

I believe that it's actually the store exclusive; off of that, either 76106 or 76109 would be the D2C.

Is this true? Now I'm confused. 

2 hours ago, Azani said:

On 1/29/2018 at 3:08 AM, Scarilian said:

As a side-note, a foreign Lego price comparison website known as brickmerge has the following;

Lego Marvel Avengers: Infinity War 76105 €49,99
Lego Marvel Avengers: Infinity War 76106 €159.99

Given it is a price comparison website it has no reason to falsify the pricing, as doing so would turn away users as they come for accurate comparisons - even though it unfortunately does not seem to show a source. It may admittedly be old news, but i know there was confusion about the D2C pricing.

If it is the store exclusive then perhaps the much lower price is correct with the larger Hulkbuster being $49.99 - if so then that would be great and could explain the size, lack of figures, etc...

Originally i dismissed it as the website having the two prices swapped around... but perhaps this is not the D2C and we still have the D2C to come! D:

Alternatively the Hulkbuster is priced high and is just an expensive store exclusive while the D2C is cheaper.

Edited by Scarilian