Sign in to follow this  
Seasider

Wanted - Small(ish) model car ideas / suggestions

Please bear with me on this one.

On my desk at work i currently have a space under my 2 monitors that is occupied by my MOC version of the 40th Anniversary Chassis, I did also have my Lego Marvel heroes display case but thats to the side of my desk and another story.

But as the Christmas break approaches and looking to the New Year I want a new model to adorn my desk at work in 2018 ... and I'm just not sure what to put there

In the past I've also used this space to display my version of @BrickMonkeyMOCs Mazda MX-5.

What I'd like is a car (because of where i work) which is predominantly Technic and has Technic functions but on a small scale, suspension, steering, diff, engine ... all the "usuals".

Ideally no more than 35-40 studs long, 20 wide and the critical dimension 17 studs high to fit in the gap underneath the monitors

I'm not great in modelling at a small scale so I'm after suggestions if someone doesn't mind me copying their model, or perhaps some techniques to creating small scale technic cars with as many functions thrown in.

I don't want PF in it

so can you help ?

@LvdH my MOC 40th Chassis will be retired from my desk and find a new place at home

So the new model doesnt need to link to an existing model on my desk

35-40 studs long and 17 studs high is a "small" MOC? Guess I'm a minimalist :laugh:
I'm a kind of guy who loves that size of models. Above 40 studs I get this feeling that 'all could be fitted' and it presents way less challenge.

Like my favorite build, the Hob Rod (37 studs long, ~11 studs high). Has supercharger, steering (steering wheel + hog), opening suicide doors and tailgate and some other small feats:
14967748152_DISPLAY.jpg

Having that said, I'd go with a hot rod, of course. A proper rod has several advantages for a thing to be displayed, but crammed in a tight space: simple (yet sometimes demanding) bodywork, exposed engine that shows off functions, the overall 'flatness' of a chopped kustom car and the feeling it's gonna smoke tires any second now :wink:

But then again, you don't have to heed my suggestion, I'm a hot rod guy, half of my MOCs and C-Models are hot rods :laugh:

@Jurss that’s a great little model.

is it complicated to build ?

@Immo I always think of hot rods as very American, not the sort of thing for my office. Not really my cup of tea

a small “race buggy” however could be cool

Edited by Seasider

5 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@Jurss

@Immo

a small “race buggy” however could be cool

How about my street buggy, I could make instructions for it.

IMG_3444.JPG

14 minutes ago, Seasider said:

is it complicated to build ?

Won't be easy, becasue there is just partial LDD and pictures.

How about a 1967 Ford 20M P5 (It's my summer car.)

rbKILW6.jpg
fUTtIAb.jpg
Y8Da7fB.jpg

If anybody can make this car out of legos. I'd love to get some instructions. I'd order the parts from brickowl in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

It might be a tad bit too large for your desk, but how about Natanael Kuipers' Pony Car? It is less then 17 studs high, ~20 wide and I think somewhere between 40 and 50 long. It packs all supercar functions you could wish for in such a scale. And it has no PF.

I once reverse engineered it from the available photographs (mine included PF...) and I have to say: it is a masterpiece. But you can also get the instructions for a small fee through Crowkillers' website.

800x450.jpg

Or Madoca1977's Corvette? Again, slightly too long and wide (but not higher than 17 studs), and also a true technical gem. Is has PF, but I think it would not be that hard to MOD in a traditional manual gearbox. Can't find a pic of my own build anymore... 

Both will also serve as good startingpoint for MOCcing in this scale

Edited by Rudivdk

This thread is really useful! i'm sorry I don't have anything to add myself, but I'll search!

EDIT: just remembered about this: Thirdwigg's porsche 911!

Link: https://thirdwigg.com/2016/03/01/porsche-911-cup-car/

Image: 01.jpg?w=700&h=

Not sure about dimensions, but it's worth checking!

EDIT 2: Desert Eagle's lancia stratos

Video: 

Edited by letsbuild

I'm following this topic with interest, as I do the same for my desk, and like @Seasider I'm looking for something new.

I thought about self-promoting my 911 (thanks @letsbuild), but I don't have instructions. It is 13 studs tall. My F1 would fit the bill, but it's a little simple (Instructions).

As mentioned, the Pony Car is a great option, and I think the 919 from @steph77 would be great.

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I thought about self-promoting my 911 (thanks @letsbuild), but I don't have instructions. It is 13 studs tall. My F1 would fit the bill, but it's a little simple (Instructions).

I'm sure it could easily reverse-engineered from the images provided!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone ...

I'd rule out the Stratos right away, I want something as a static display on my desk. I think the rest of the office wouldn't appreciate an RC car racing up and down the walkway!

The F1 style car I'll rule out too. it's a bit F1/Indy car to my liking and in the past I've displayed @RoscoPC's amazing FW14B and MP4/4 at work when I built them, though not under my screens as they're huge

The 919 Porsche ... again I'm going to rule out. I'm a big fan of Motorsport (F1, Le Mans, GT3 and Touring Cars), but if I was to build and LMP1 car it would either have to be the original Panoz GTR-1 (my favourite car from when I used to go to Le Mans) or a Bentley Speed 8 (for obvious reasons)

So I think I'm trending to trying to make a version of @Thirdwigg's 911 ... the question is how big is it ? and can i make it in Yellow ?

the stratos bodywork and wheelbase can serve as a good base for a version with rear suspension and fake v6 though, ill be counting my flex axles tonight!

I cannot say if my creations would fit match your needs and as self-promotion is allowed, I can put some of my creations here as examples.

They are on rebrickable with LXF only, no instructions.  They all have independent suspension and 4speed gearbox. Some have other regular functionality like a fake engine or opening doors but as far as I remember only fiat does not have fake engine (others have boxer 4 or boxer 6 or v6).

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-10963/scynox/small-scale-supercar/#comments

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-9087/scynox/roadster/#comments

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-6042/scynox/1970s-fiat-124/#comments

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-6052/scynox/chevrolet-camaro/#comments

@Seasider the 911 dimensions are 45x21x13 studs (L, W, H). I don't have instructions for the build, nor is it still built, but you should be able to get pretty close with the pictures posted. The front steering is a little complicated, but I can help you as you go through the build. PM me as needed.

Yellow is doable. The only part missing (I think) is panel #21 and #22 below the front headlights, as this is not in yellow.