Didumos69

[WIP] Greyhound - 4WD RC Buggy with BuWizz 2 - Redesigned wheel hubs

21 hours ago, Permo said:

I like the hood with the black stripes, and I suggest to continue the black stripes over the rooftop and back of the car.

16 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Body is looking good so far. I like the stripes, make sure to continue them! :thumbup:

Yea, that was my idea, to continue the stripes over the rooftop all the way to the back of the car. And don't worry, I won't cover the whole framework :wink:.

I'm a bit on a crossroad now. I could very easily drop in a V8 engine and an M-motor to drive it. Would look cool I think, but will add extra weight and I actually decided to regard this as a model of an RC model, which in general don't have fake engines. I don't have a working steering wheel either. Any thoughts?

960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I'd say drop the engine.
This is clearly a performance model, not a display model.

Except is was your aim to create a "realistic" model, then it needs some kind of engine

I say make the golden middle: keep the engine, drop the drive for it - a fake fake engine. :classic:

It does add a lot to the look.

Edit: or keep the drive and add lights too, if you want to show the versatility of Buwizz for a certain contest...

For performance MOC, I would stick to my first suggestion.

Edit 2: speaking about contest - just for the contest purpose, You could add some brick built schematic seats - also a + to use the studs on Buwizz.

Edited by agrof

I think the M motor and the fake engine does not add a significant amount of weight compared to the overall weight of the car, so I'd keep it. Had a similar setup on my 42037 RC mod, the M motor did not have a visible effect on the performance.

Are you planning on putting a spare wheel or two in the rear to balance the weight and/or make the rear suspension more compliant?  If no, then you can use the fake engine to achieve the same effect.  If you don't need the weight in the rear then I would skip both the spare tire(s) and the fake engine.

I like the engine, and with all the power onboard I feel it will not compromise performance.

Not having it coupled mechanically to drive funtion it can run stationary wich is kinda cool, and if you have lights I would put some working lights on it also for cool factor.

It's already been said, but I vote spare tire in the rear. Though it won't make too much of a difference on power drain, you always want the drive to get all the power!

However... The engine does increase the cool factor by a lot... :laugh:

Amazing work!  I'd recommend keeping this pure performance with a minimal body work.

Could also pass for an all terrain vehicle too (ATV) if you don't want to go the buggy route.

Spare wheel in this size just does not look good, and covers a lot interesting bits - tried already in my designs, it destroys visually the nice lines.

Honestly, not much to look on a wheel, but an engine is definitely eye candy.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I think I will leave it in, as it adds to coolness. I will try to install it in a way that allows for easy removal, so I can always make it optional.  I agree with @agrof that an engine is more eye candy than a spare tire. The tires are actually a bit oversized for this scale, so a spare tire is going to rise above the roof and look massive. Another reason is that a spare tire somewhere in the back is going to wobble. And I don't like wobbly things, in case you didn't already know :wink:.

14 hours ago, agrof said:

I say make the golden middle: keep the engine, drop the drive for it - a fake fake engine. :classic:

If it ends up with a fake fake engine I will at least add a HoG to it, so it can be driven manually :laugh:.

14 hours ago, agrof said:

Edit 2: speaking about contest - just for the contest purpose, You could add some brick built schematic seats - also a + to use the studs on Buwizz.

Neeh. No contest. No bricks.

Edited by Didumos69

Slowly progressing towards the back. Though nothing is exactly the same as @agrof's class 1 buggy (the model that inspired me), I did try to have it breath the same spirit. Everything is firmly locked and in system.

I also added a rollbar (orange) and continued the stripes in the hood over the rooftop. They also continue over the back, but that section is not finished yet. If all works out fine, the model should be liftable by the roof.

Btw, I'm thinking of renaming this model to Wolf, or Red wolf.

Let me know what you think.

4WD%20RC%20Buggy%20IV%20-%20bod%20II_Cop4WD%20RC%20Buggy%20IV%20-%20bod%20II_Cop4WD%20RC%20Buggy%20IV%20-%20bod%20II_Cop4WD%20RC%20Buggy%20IV%20-%20bod%20II_Cop

Edited by Didumos69

Love how it looks from the front, it has that "move over, comming trough !" kinda look.

Not shure about the white roof, I guess I'm not a fan of white pieces in general.

The lightbar on top is cool !

(I just got me a set of those tires.... whoaaa, huge!)

Wow, I haven't checked this topic for a while, and I'm amazed by how much you've done! (and how cool it looks :sweet:)

I agree with @Permo, I don't really like the white roof, though I'm also not really sure what color would work...

BTW, I prefer "Greyhound" :wink:

Bobcat springs to mind.

Thank you for sharing as you go along - I always learn so much.

Regards, Darryl

Getting better, than I expected. :thumbup: :classic:

I like the color scheme, for me it didn't work, but here it looks good. I would change the roof sides for black - I experienced quite a bit time with colors, and the black "window frame" adds a bit contrast to the main colors. A bit like in cartoons, You see the contours a bit more appearant, also adds a bit illusion of roll cage.

I would also move the engine towards the cabin, at least for sake of optical center of gravity. I am following the build further with great interest!

Edited by agrof

Very cool build! 

You dont use a differential  dont you have the problem with steering (and slipping wheel) because the front wheels are making the same rpm?

I didnt read the whole topic, and the answer is already given i think, but i just wondering

Keep the updates coming! very nice!:thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

14 hours ago, Permo said:

Not shure about the white roof, I guess I'm not a fan of white pieces in general.

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I agree with @Permo, I don't really like the white roof, though I'm also not really sure what color would work...

I tried with orange roof / white stripes and with black roof / white stripes, but white stripes somehow don't work. After painting the roof white it reminded me of the color scheme of a Toyota FJ Cruiser that I like very much. That in turn made me color the rollbar orange, which gave a very nice effect in my opinion.

640x431.jpg

2 hours ago, agrof said:

I would change the roof sides for black - I experienced quite a bit time with colors, and the black "window frame" adds a bit contrast to the main colors. A bit like in cartoons, You see the contours a bit more appearant, also adds a bit illusion of roll cage.

I like the idea, so I tried, but it doesn't really work. It flows nicely with the A- and C-pillars, but with the black stripes in the middle it's just too much. EDI|T: Maybe I could make a black roll-cage tube right underneath the sides of the roof, one stud inward. Will try that.

3 hours ago, dtoerien said:

Bobcat springs to mind.

Great suggestion, but apparently Bobcat is also a well-known construction equipment brand, which might give the wrong association.

2 hours ago, agrof said:

I would also move the engine towards the cabin, at least for sake of optical center of gravity.

Would extending the engine bed with two studs to the back - without moving the engine - work too? I was already planning to extend the tail with two studs. I placed the engine this much to the back, because that is what I see a lot in Class 1 buggy's.

2 hours ago, Techniccrack said:

You dont use a differential  dont you have the problem with steering (and slipping wheel) because the front wheels are making the same rpm?

I did not see them slip on normal surface. I guess the RPM of the left and right L-motors is not the same in turns.

Here are some images showing the current state of the back side, but like I said, this section is still under development.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

And some close-ups of the cabin:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I'm typicaly not a "car guy" unless it's Lego, but that Toyota Cruiser, yup, that's my favorite also, if I ever get filthy rich I'm going to buy one just like that, in orange with the white roof...

Do free lance engineers get filthy rich at some point ? :sceptic:

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I tried with orange roof / white stripes and with black roof / white stripes, but white stripes somehow don't work.

I think white stripes work best with blue, but it's a matter of choice. While searching for a good example, I somehow stumbled upon this (can't attach the image because of pinterest, but it's the top left one). It's an interesting look, worth trying :)

First time post, although I've been following this ever since it's conception. I am also not in the white roof camp... I can't put my finger on it why I don't like it (too much Xerion? Too frivolous for such a beast of a car?, Too flat & straight?), but it feels out of place. How about ditching the roof altogether and just have a rollcage?

The rest of the car is shaping up great.

7 hours ago, zweihander said:

I think white stripes work best with blue, but it's a matter of choice. While searching for a good example, I somehow stumbled upon this (can't attach the image because of pinterest, but it's the top left one). It's an interesting look, worth trying :)

Thanks for the suggestion. It does give inspiration. I will try a few schemes tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

First time post, although I've been following this ever since it's conception. I am also not in the white roof camp... I can't put my finger on it why I don't like it (too much Xerion? Too frivolous for such a beast of a car?, Too flat & straight?), but it feels out of place. How about ditching the roof altogether and just have a rollcage?

The rest of the car is shaping up great.

Thanks @Jeroen Ottens! So it's clear the roof needs rework. I didn't realize the Xerion has a white roof, but I get your point. Perhaps I can use some curved 3x13 panels to make it less flat. I'll figure something out.

16 hours ago, Permo said:

Do free lance engineers get filthy rich at some point ? :sceptic:

Perhaps not, but.let.this be a comfort: Dreams bring more.spirit than money :wink:.

I think if you ran a white stripe on the sides, and made the roof black/orange, it would look great.

And in my opinion... That lightbar is puny. :tongue: Something like the one @Madoca 1977 used in his Trophy Truck would look much better.

Overall though, I like it. A lot. Though my bank, wallet, and job do not. :laugh:

Thanks @Leonardo da Bricki! I get your point. I don't want to add too much finery, mainly because I want nothing too fall off during a rough ride or even a roll-over. But I'll see what I can do when I rework the roof.

Edited by Didumos69