Didumos69

[WIP] Greyhound - 4WD RC Buggy with BuWizz 2 - Redesigned wheel hubs

I wold recommend to make more room for the cables(maybe lift the buwizz 1 stud). At the end of the day you could use the current set-up but you don't want to damage your wires, don't you?

34 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

Yes, that's right. I didn't realize the outputs were so far in. It is quite possible that it will work.

18 minutes ago, IA creations said:

I wold recommend to make more room for the cables(maybe lift the buwizz 1 stud). At the end of the day you could use the current set-up but you don't want to damage your wires, don't you?

Thanks for the advice guys! I checked and I think I'm good. It doesn't give any stress to the cable. I will keep an eye on this of course and if it somehow doesn't feel right, I will change the setup to make more space.

800x450.jpg

I am a big '' cable purist'' and I always like  to have the cables straight, not with bends like in that picture.

2 hours ago, IA creations said:

I am a big '' cable purist'' and I always like  to have the cables straight, not with bends like in that picture.

Okay, I'm new to all these cables, so I will take these comments quite seriously.  I should be able to improve on this. I can lower the BuWizzes, which would allow the cables to run through the 5x7 frames. Or I can make the distance between the 5x7 frames 9 studs and place the BuWizzes on a half stud grid. Back to the drawing table.

That space is more than enough for the cables, I did not have any issues yet with such setup.

2018-02-03-11.37.33_EB_ret.jpg

Good to see progress here too (it was very reasonable pause seeing your TC13 entry :wink:)!

I am also with Kbalage, but if You will find a way to have the cable straight at connector, than it will not hurt for sure.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

That space is more than enough for the cables, I did not have any issues yet with such setup.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

I am also with Kbalage, but if You will find a way to have the cable straight at connector, than it will not hurt for sure.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys! I'll leave things the way they are and will first build this version. Then I will figure out how to route the cable exactly. The cables are much longer than needed, so I have to put them away somewhere too.

Edited by Didumos69

Yesterday I had some time to build the real life model. The chassis is very rigid, it can probably do with less parts to reduce the weight a little. The rear suspension arms were actually more easy to build than I thought. Things to improve:

• The rear suspension is a little too rigid. I will have to lower the chassis mounting points of the shocks or combine a hard shock with a soft shock.
  • The front suspension is a little too soft. I will have to lift the chassis mounting points of the shocks.
  • The rear suspension arms need to be mounted better. There is too much slack in the swing arm - chassis connection.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Is that bigger than your hammerhead? Idk why I have that feeling... what color will you use for the bodywork?

17 minutes ago, IA creations said:

Is that bigger than your hammerhead? Idk why I have that feeling... what color will you use for the bodywork?

It has the same wheelbase and track-width as my hammerhead and it currently is a few studs shorter. But to me it seems bigger too, I think because it is higher. I don't have a clue on what to do with the bodywork, but I want to keep it lightweight, so it will probably be something minimalistic. But I first wanted to test-drive the chassis.

Thanks guys!

I think I have made the necessary changes to the design to fix the issues. Here are some renders of the complete chassis.

960x360.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks guys!

I think I have made the necessary changes to the design to fix the issues. Here are some renders of the complete chassis.

Wow... that is one wide framework! Very original, I'm keen on the bodywork too. This things like a monster truck!

Wow, really moving along here! When do you start the body? Or have you already? I keep feeling jealous of this beast... Please don't make a video. :tongue:

3 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

*snip* This thing's like a monster truck!

WHHAAAAATTT?! *oh2* A monster truck?! NO! Class One Unlimited Buggy! Though I am not surprised you don't know the difference*, all you ever build are epic supercars... :wink:  :laugh:

* Technical description of difference can and will be provided upon request.

Looks nice (the frame) but a bit busy, and awesome (the whole chassis). What about to build the frame more monochromatic in LBG?

One thing what I don't really understand, beside the 9L links look good in the front area, do they actually have structural role? As I see, the red connectors, which to they are connected, can rotate freely, or are the inner axle connections fixed somehow? 

Edited by agrof

9 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Wow... that is one wide framework! Very original, I'm keen on the bodywork too. This things like a monster truck!

Thanks for your interest @Lox Lego! I'm especially focused on making everything form-locked. And the shape of the frame is very much guided by that requirement. Eventually I want this to be as much fun as a real RC buggy. Nothing should fall off or come apart during a rough ride.

5 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow, really moving along here! When do you start the body? Or have you already? I keep feeling jealous of this beast... Please don't make a video. :tongue:

WHHAAAAATTT?! *oh2* A monster truck?! NO! Class One Unlimited Buggy! Though I am not surprised you don't know the difference*, all you ever build are epic supercars... :wink:  :laugh:

Thanks @Leonardo da Bricki! I have no ideas for the bodywork yet. You're right that this model is mostly inspired by the class one unlimited buggy, although it has 4wd, which is not very common for a class one buggy. However, I deliberately used a neutral title to allow myself some freedom. It might turn out to be some kind of concept buggy.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

Looks nice (the frame) but a bit busy, and awesome (the whole chassis). What about to build the frame more monochromatic in LBG?

One thing what I don't really understand, beside the 9L links look good in the front area, do they actually have structural role? As I see, the red connectors, which to they are connected, can rotate freely, or are the inner axle connections fixed somehow? 

Thanks @agrof! I'm using my Porsche as a parts source, which is why I use a mix of black and lbg parts.

The 9l links really add something. Actually, they form-lock the liftarms connecting the inclined front module to the center section. They sit very tight, they don't fit in LDD. The orientation of the red connectors is defined by the axle on the inner side. That axle runs through the outer end of a bent liftarm.

1 hour ago, agrof said:

I had the same doubt, but on second look it seems they are fixed to the top of a 6x4 bent liftarm.

Edit: didumos beat me to it...

Edited by Rudivdk

Great work on this MOC so far!  I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

With regards to the BuWizz's and cables - have you considered putting the BuWizz's in up-side-down, or sideways?  This might make it easier to turn them on/off too.  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

The 9l links really add something. Actually, they form-lock the liftarms connecting the inclined front module to the center section. They sit very tight, they don't fit in LDD. The orientation of the red connectors is defined by the axle on the inner side. That axle runs through the outer end of a bent liftarm.

I see now, thanks. In LDD sometimes You need to rebuild assemblies in different sequence - that might help. Background: the constrains which are automatically created, might block the placement of a new part due the system senses it as overconstraining. Bit annoying, but with rebuild in most cases I could solve such issues.

Edited by agrof

14 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

hahaha Thanks Leonardo, I'm a little slow to pick up on other vehicles :sadnew:

Your attention to minute details and finding perfect solutions is admirable; however, with L motors you won't get to see the fruits of your labour.  They are just too slow IMO and you won't really "test" the ruggedness thoroughly.  Now if you used Buggy motors......

17 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Really like how this has progressed!! Been checking this thread for a while and fantastic progress. Good luck with the body!

Thanks!

On 2/6/2018 at 11:49 AM, Splat said:

Great work on this MOC so far!  I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

With regards to the BuWizz's and cables - have you considered putting the BuWizz's in up-side-down, or sideways?  This might make it easier to turn them on/off too.  Just a thought.

I did not, but thanks for the suggestion. I don't see a reason to change their position though. They are secured well right now and sit satisfyingly low.

16 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Your attention to minute details and finding perfect solutions is admirable; however, with L motors you won't get to see the fruits of your labour.  They are just too slow IMO and you won't really "test" the ruggedness thoroughly.  Now if you used Buggy motors......

You are right that the L-motors ate not  going to give the speed buggy motors would. However, my intention is to build something strong rather than fast. It should be able to perform in rough terrain and take climbs with ease. Besides that I prefer using present time parts. And I use two BuWizzes to get the best out of these L-motors. Earlier in this thread @kbalage posted a nice video of all kinds of 4 L-motors configurations. That video made me decide to go with 2 BuWizzes.

Today I received the BuWizzes, but before I start test-driving I wanted to reinforce a few things. For instance the way the wheels are attached to the the turntable wheel hubs. After a few drops the wheels detach from the pins even with bars inserted in the pins. So I replaced the pins with 4L axles with end-stop. At the ends sticking out of the wheel I attached half bushes and several 3L levers (yellow). I tested this setup thoroughly and now the wheels stay put. Other things I improved: I improved the front suspension by moving the mounting point for the shocks on top of the suspension arms one stud inward. And I reinforced the way the rear suspension arms are mounted to the chassis. All feels very solid now and I'm slowly getting confident this is going to work out fine. Here's a short video.

Edited by Didumos69

Hi Didumos69! I'm following the thread closely, just haven't commented yet. It's a beautiful structure you have there. If I was shown it without knowing who has built it, I would immediately recognize your style. No pinhole wasted. Can't wait to see it drive.