Didumos69

[WIP] Greyhound - 4WD RC Buggy with BuWizz 2 - Redesigned wheel hubs

Cool, love how it all fits...

Though I had to look twice to "see" the steering wheel.

The handles look kinda bulky, if you would use the connectors with 1.5L axles on it instead of the connectors with bushings on the end the handles will be half a stud longer and thinner to more resemble a steering wheel is my suggestion.

I'm not good with partnumbers, but they come with the Porsche set.

11 minutes ago, Permo said:

The handles look kinda bulky, if you would use the connectors with 1.5L axles on it instead of the connectors with bushings on the end the handles will be half a stud longer and thinner to more resemble a steering wheel is my suggestion.

Yea, it's kind a bulky, but hey, this is not a smooth car :wink:.

I think I know what you mean, but those parts are 3L long and it doesn't look right imo. The handles should be on the same level as the rotation point of the wheel. There is another option with thinner handles, but my favorite remains to be the middle one. Also because its stronger.

800x450.jpg

Ah, seeing them side by side I agree the middle one looks best :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Yea, it's kind a bulky, but hey, this is not a smooth car :wink:.

I think I know what you mean, but those parts are 3L long and it doesn't look right imo. The handles should be on the same level as the rotation point of the wheel. There is another option with thinner handles, but my favorite remains to be the middle one. Also because its stronger.

Did you consider this part?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40001&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

Thanks @kozso198700! I actually tried this, but with the turn-table wheel hub. Eventually I preferred the setup with 3L thin levers, because of their axle holes. They make a more stable hub alltogether. Btw, the main reason to have these complicated wheel hubs is that they incorporate the turn-tables and allow for the use of U-joint which can make a much sharper angle than CV-joints. I see you are using the normal wheel-hubs instead. Those normal wheel-hubs will bring the rim and tire half a stud closer to the hub, which will probably cause the tire to collide with the custom hub. The whole wheel-hub design comes very precise. It's optimized for max stability, max performance, minimal slack, max durability and max steering angle. Note that I also used rubber bands to reinforce the U-joints, belt-wheel-tires to reduce slack and squeezed rubber connectors to fixate the wheels to the hub. EDIT: Btw, your picture nicely shows the difference between the old 5.5L axle (which is slightly shorter) and the newer 5.5L axle (which has slightly rounder ends). The wheel hubs actually require the older (shorter) version.

800x451.jpg800x451.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

While I'm still trying to fix connectivity problems with 2 BuWizzes (which imo makes the BuWizz feel really amateurish), I continued the build. I spent a lot of time defining steps in LDD (in terms of groups) and had to make some changes to make it buildable. And today I modified the framework to incorporate the M-motor driving the V8 and to provide the necessary mounting points for the bodywork. Then I made start with the roof. I have all the parts available now, so it shouldn't take long before all is done.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Seats and bottom of the flanks, with a hole in the seats to reach the BuWizz mini-usb and the on/off button:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Good idea leaving access to the USB port and power button. Knowing your building style, the BuWizz bricks are probably a structural element and taking them out to recharge would be difficult. :laugh:

I have two BuWizz bricks here, but haven't used them in combination yet. I'll charge them tonight and do some tests this weekend. 

21 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Good idea leaving access to the USB port and power button. Knowing your building style, the BuWizz bricks are probably a structural element and taking them out to recharge would be difficult. :laugh:

I have two BuWizz bricks here, but haven't used them in combination yet. I'll charge them tonight and do some tests this weekend. 

Haha, the BuWizzes do not really add structure, but I did have structure prevail over removable BuWizzes. I might still make the BuWizzes removable from underneath, but I fear it would be practically impossible to put them back with all the wires routed correctly.

Would be great if you could do a test with two BuWizzes! It would be most useful if you could do that outside, or at least with about 10 meters distance. Sofar I only experienced problems outside.

Continued building yesterday evening. It's slowly taking shape. I have good faith the model can be carried around by the roof when all is done.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Hi!

I've been watching this buggy building for a long time. I got a taste of it and I built the chassis. Thank you Didumos69 I really enjoyed it and the finished chassis to. 
I separatly into three parts: center, rear and front units. I built it apart, then I put it together.

Edited by Milan
Removed oversized images.

1 hour ago, mj002 said:

Hi!

I've been watching this buggy building for a long time. I got a taste of it and I built the chassis. Thank you Didumos69 I really enjoyed it and the finished chassis to. 
I separatly into three parts: center, rear and front units. I built it apart, then I put it together.

Wow, that is really cool! I like it a lot when people take the time to build fidments of my imagination. It seems you are quite up-to-date with your version. You must also have experienced that the newer 5.5L axles in the front wheel-hubs are slighlty too long. The older version - with sharper (less-round) ends - fits better. I happened to have 4 of them. I also stabilized the rear suspension arms with T-bones and moved their shock-absorber mounting points half a stud forward to raise the tail a little.

1 hour ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

And knowing you, @Didumos69, you could probably pick it up by any point you wanted to! :laugh:

I fear so :grin:.

Edited by Didumos69

@mj002 Welcome to EB. Please read our Guidelines, regarding image size. I have removed your oversized images. Please upload only images of proper size.

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Wow, that is really cool! I like it a lot when people take the time to build fidments of my imagination. It seems you are quite up-to-date with your version. You must also have experienced that the newer 5.5L axles in the front wheel-hubs are slighlty too long. The older version - with sharper (less-round) ends - fits better. I happened to have 4 of them. I also stabilized the rear suspension arms with T-bones and moved their shock-absorber mounting points half a stud forward to raise the tail a little.

OK, you are right, I found 3pcs shorter 5,5L axles. I see the T-bones section, but I don't understand the connection. Could you show me on the lxf file? 

28 minutes ago, mj002 said:

OK, you are right, I found 3pcs shorter 5,5L axles. I see the T-bones section, but I don't understand the connection. Could you show me on the lxf file? 

Here is the latest LXF-file (chassis only), but please beware it's still work in progress.

EDIT: Just noticed some parts are missing in the area right above the mounting point of the rear arms.

Edited by Didumos69

11 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Here is the latest LXF-file (chassis only), but please beware it's still work in progress.

Thanks, I already undertsand the "half a stud" expression :wink:

This morning my son and I had a serious LEGO session. Me laying the final hand on this build and my son taking the remainders of 42056 apart. A few  last WIP shots:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

So I finished the build. Still need to address a few small things, but overall I am quite content. I was a bit concerned about the weight, but it hangs in it's suspension exactly the way I wanted it to. I'm especially happy with the overall ruggedness and the tight steering radius. Nothing got displaced while shooting this video. Btw, the model includes a V8 driven by an M-motor, but I decided to skip the spare tire. Did not have any trouble with the BuWizzes disconnecting this time.

Edited by Didumos69

It flows perfectly, love how the body tilts while cornering, and how well the independent suspension moves! :wub:

I am also happy about the engine choice, the look is much more sexy without the spare tyre. :thumbup: I demand You to take wallpaper quality photos now. :tongue:

This is incredible.
You managed something i always thought impossible: LEGO with the performance of a real RC-Car.