Didumos69

[WIP] Greyhound - 4WD RC Buggy with BuWizz 2 - Redesigned wheel hubs

14 hours ago, proran said:

Hi Didumos69! I'm following the thread closely, just haven't commented yet. It's a beautiful structure you have there. If I was shown it without knowing who has built it, I would immediately recognize your style. No pinhole wasted. Can't wait to see it drive.

Thanks @proran! I regard that as a big compliment. Btw, I somewhat enhanced the dark video of last night...

Edited by Didumos69

2 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

great video to show one of the very important parts of this car!! Have you tried any test runs for the speed of this baby??

Here's a first raw video of drive inside the house. I don't have any experiences with RC, I'm a terrible driver so far, haha. Not in the fastest mode yet.

And here a longer raw demo.

2 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nice suspension travel there, looks likes it's properly soft and responsive! Does it hit the ground? It sounded like it did a couple of times.

Could be, it can hit the ground. Travel is beyond the ground.

Good speed, I'm expecting some pretty decent off-roading capabilities from this buggy! Can you show the chassis with the Claas tires? I think that would be awesome.

Any particular color scheme picked out yet?

1 hour ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Good speed, I'm expecting some pretty decent off-roading capabilities from this buggy! Can you show the chassis with the Claas tires? I think that would be awesome.

Any particular color scheme picked out yet?

I tried with some obstacles under a carpet and it performs really well. I'm thinking of shooting a video outside tomorrow. The only weak point sofar are the towballs connected to the gearrack. When one of the front wheels hits something hard, one pops out.

Sadly enough II don't have the Claas tires.

Edited by Didumos69

After a first drive inside our house I made a few small changes. I decided to introduce a little toe-out by default to compensate for the toe-in that results from traction. And I now use an 8L axle with end-stop to avoid the 12t thin bevel gear from sliding off it's axle.

So this morning I took it outside and made a first outdoor test-drive. And this did not disappoint me. In normal mode (fast mode, ludicrous turned off) it handles really well. In ludicrous mode (fast mode, ludicrous turned on) I had a hard time steering (this is my first RC outdoor drive ever :laugh:) and eventually it bumped hard into frozen mudd and gave me this:

800x450.jpg

And here's a compilation video of the rides I made this morning:

Edited by Didumos69

Very impressive!!  but it looks heavy..??  Very good endurance and workmanship!!  The speed is awesome!!  and don't feel bad on the rc controller.. I also have just started and the Lego controller i have is small !!  Is ludicrous mode12 volt bump on the 9 volt platform???

Edited by sirslayer

4 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Very impressive!!  but it looks heavy..??  Very good endurance and workmanship!!  The speed is awesome!!  and don't feel bad on the rc controller.. I also have just started and the Lego controller i have is small !!  Is ludicrous mode12 volt bump on the 9 volt platform???

Thanks! I don't know about the exact voltage in ludicrous mode, I thought 9V.

It's weight is currently 1250gr including BuWizzes. I hope to keep it under 1750gr eventually. I try to keep it as light as possible, but I also believe many LEGO Technic buggies are too light for their suspension. The vehicle should hang in it's suspension to make it float. I've seen too many videos with models that actually bounce and shake more because of their suspension.

Edited by Didumos69

yes I do agree about how suspensions should be handled. You should check out the Lego 42068 thread by efferman...  I have recently made some mods and my latest video shows that the balloon tires are very effective over terrain with no/ little suspension added to the design. since it was a light weight model, balloon tires is sufficient enough!! please look at the thread...   On the Buwizz thread it only states 10.4 volts or higher on ludicrous mode  I was interested in purchasing the device but if it is a voltage hack then II can make my own..  Thank you for sharing your project  

Looks like a fun car to drive, and to build as well. I'm looking forward to see it completed !

18 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Sadly enough II don't have the Claas tires.

They've been added to LDD with the latest update (version 4.3.11), so you can try to make a render with them. :wink:

1 hour ago, Isamudyson said:

wow. loving how well it moves.

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Leewan said:

Looks like a fun car to drive, and to build as well. I'm looking forward to see it completed !

They've been added to LDD with the latest update (version 4.3.11), so you can try to make a render with them. :wink:

Didn't know that, thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly put them on in LDD to see how they look.

It is indeed fun to drive, but after taking stock of the damage I'm afraid I will opt for a more easy surface next time. Probably a gravel road, a cobblestone road or grass. I don't really mind having broken one U-joint, because I blame the ludicrous mode, which I wouldn't mind avoiding anyway. Ludicrous mode is like playing with fire imo. No, I'm more concerned about the scratches all over the bottom side:

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

21 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Can you show the chassis with the Claas tires? I think that would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Leewan said:

I think it looks awesome :wub:. It would also add speed and ground clearance :thumbup:.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

1 minute ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

The video had me convinced. This should perform well after completion!!

:thumbup:

The hardest challenge would be to design a strong system body on the Buwizzs.. It wouldn't really be an outdoor buggy after that, would it?

Stunning work as usual!:thumbup:

Indeed, it looks even more powerful with the Claas tires. But they might not be the best solution if you want to limit the weight, if you put them instead of the Unimog tires you almost add 50 grams to the MOC.

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

No, I'm more concerned about the scratches all over the bottom side:

If you step on the Lego RC off-roading path be prepared for such injuries, especially with a BuWizz powered vehicle :classic: 

P9080616_EB_ret.jpg

P9080612_EB_ret.jpg

Awesome creation. The hard shocks however are not the cheapest.. Would you consider a version with yellow or red (small) hard shocks?

Those renders... :wub_drool: Oh how I wish I had the parts for this! Looking beastly, when is the off-road test video?

EDIT: Missed the video above... :facepalm:  :grin:

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki

Maybe on how to figure a sort of skid plates to protect the bottom of your model. I was using tape but that tends to foul up the differential if the tape got loose. I was even thinking of using the smallest rubber tires from Lego's city set and mount them at various places for an example, under the front bumper or any lowest point so it can roll over with the tiny tires. It would be odd to most but if you want to protect the bricks, what else can you do?? Taller tires would help..    

13 hours ago, kbalage said:

If you step on the Lego RC off-roading path be prepared for such injuries, especially with a BuWizz powered vehicle :classic: 

1 hour ago, sirslayer said:

Maybe on how to figure a sort of skid plates to protect the bottom of your model. I was using tape but that tends to foul up the differential if the tape got loose. I was even thinking of using the smallest rubber tires from Lego's city set and mount them at various places for an example, under the front bumper or any lowest point so it can roll over with the tiny tires. It would be odd to most but if you want to protect the bricks, what else can you do?? Taller tires would help..    

14 hours ago, Leewan said:

Indeed, it looks even more powerful with the Claas tires. But they might not be the best solution if you want to limit the weight, if you put them instead of the Unimog tires you almost add 50 grams to the MOC.

16 hours ago, ThatOneBuilder said:

The hardest challenge would be to design a strong system body on the Buwizzs.. It wouldn't really be an outdoor buggy after that, would it?

Stunning work as usual!:thumbup:

Here's what I will do. I'll accept the injuries that come with RC. I just have to get used to that. I will try to protect some parts, especially the front wishbones. They are quite vulnerable being all up front. Yesterday a hard frontal crash ruined the wishbones and the wheel hubs. I will also accept the extra weight of the CLAAS tires, even though they do not completely match the class one look. They look awesome and give me more ground clearance and more speed. On uneasy surfaces, gravel or cobblestones, it currently has so much power that speed is not affected. So I reckon I could trade some power for speed.

12 hours ago, emielroumen said:

Awesome creation. The hard shocks however are not the cheapest.. Would you consider a version with yellow or red (small) hard shocks?

I might. I have 8 yellow small shocks laying around so it would only involve the necessary refactoring. I will do that after finishing the default design..

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I might. I have 8 yellow small shocks laying around so it would only involve the necessary refactoring. I will do that after finishing the default design..

Thanks, that would be great :)

On 2/9/2018 at 3:01 AM, Didumos69 said:

After a first drive inside our house I made a few small changes. I decided to introduce a little toe-out by default to compensate for the toe-in that results from traction. And I now use an 8L axle with end-stop to avoid the 12t thin bevel gear from sliding off it's axle.

So this morning I took it outside and made a first outdoor test-drive. And this did not disappoint me. In normal mode (fast mode, ludicrous turned off) it handles really well. In ludicrous mode (fast mode, ludicrous turned on) I had a hard time steering (this is my first RC outdoor drive ever :laugh:) and eventually it bumped hard into frozen mudd and gave me this:

800x450.jpg

So although this build:

had some major areas of improvement I did learn some things.  One thing I learned is a little technique to help increase the strength of u-joints so that the above did not happen.  The principle I used can best be demonstrated byj the Slo-Mo guys in this video:

Here elastics are wound many many times around the watermelon until it bursts.  Well, U-joints are very weak around the connecting ends of the element because of the cut-outs in the plastic.  But, if you wind an elastic around the ends many many times the force strengthens the joint.  When I made the above truck the torque from the XL motors was splitting the U-joints all the time.  With the below technique, I never split one.  They would, on occasion separate in the middle, but (1) the frequency in which this occurred was minimal compared to before the technique and (2) they were only separated; not broken.  I saved myself tons of U-joints by using this technique. 

15182696491_DISPLAY.jpg

15182696502_DISPLAY.jpg

15182696503_DISPLAY.jpg