KikoTube

Chevrolet C10 1972 / WIP - Physical Model

Hey Guys,

Im gonna post my Progress on this Moc in this Topic. So stay tuned! :laugh:

Let´s start with some Specs:

• Chevrolet C10 1972 Pickup-Truck
  • Suspension:
    • The back Suspension, is pretty rare. Well i have not seen something like this before.. It's like a triangulated link axle :grin: 
      • 530573_deb3f3b2d4_low_res.jpg
    • Front Suspension is a simple Independent Suspension.
  • The original has a 350cc V8:wub:
  • My moc will Feature:
    • The same suspensions
    • as many original Details as possible
    • RC 

Here's the original car:

530489_fd1e589767_low_res.jpg

Colour is not decided yet.. Progress on the cab, still much to do with that front :laugh:

P.S.: The headlights were pretty hard to do...

800x450.jpg

Comments and Critism are appreciated! :D

Edited by KikoTube

Front looks very nice, and realistic but lets see the progress...

@I_Igor Thanks, there's still some Things that could be improved.

5 hours ago, aminnich said:

As the Chevy fanboy that I am, I will be following this build very closely.  I cannot wait for progress!!

That's good to know. :thumbup: Im gonna satisfy your desire with some new Progress :grin: The back axle:

Already tested, the part at the axle which holds the link has to be stronger...

Achs2.lxf.png

Comments and Critism appreciated :wink:

Edited by KikoTube

You can ask @BrickbyBrickTechnic I give my suggestions, they are not to be taken in a bad way.  They are only suggestions, you do with them as you please.  

In my opinion, the rear axle is too big and bulky comparing it to the picture of the rear axle you posted.  Try not using the 5x7 frame.  In your build, you are not using a diff, so if you plan on not using one, then the 5x7 frame is unnecessary.  If you do plan on using a diff, I would still recommend trying something a little bit more condensed.  

Nice to see progress!

@aminnich

As i said, i appreciate helpful critism. And that's what you gave me! :wink: 

Well, if I would use a diff it would just be too big. The real axle is not reproducable in lego. Well it could be built, but not realy stable. Im not going for full Looks, more like 50% Looks, 50% Playability. 

Im gonna try, build it less bulkier, but i can't promise that it will be succesful :grin:

18 minutes ago, aminnich said:

I give my suggestions, they are not to be taken in a bad way.  They are only suggestions, you do with them as you please.  

I completely agree with this statement. @aminnich is quite helpful.

As for your truck, looks good so far! Following with interest.

In the larger scale and the smaller scale of my current build, I learned a lot from 2 builders specifically.  You do not need to over complicate things all the time.  I do not know if you have these parts, but here is just a really simple concept.  The axle and hubs would be held by the suspension (just like the real truck).  As @Beck knows, I am not the best at suspension, so I leave that for you.  

idea.png

This design is not super compact, but it is a little bit better than what you have.  

EDIT: @BrickbyBrickTechnic I try and help whenever I can :classic:

Edited by aminnich

Just now, aminnich said:

In the larger scale and the smaller scale of my current build, I learned a lot from 2 builders specifically.  You do not need to over complicate things all the time.  I do not know if you have these parts, but here is just a really simple concept.  The axle and hubs would be held by the suspension (just like the real truck).  As @Beck knows, I am not the best at suspension, so I leave that for you.  

idea.png

This design is not super compact, but it is a little bit better than what you have.  

EDIT: @BrickbyBrickTechnic I try and help whenever I can :classic:

Some helpful points... Thanks!

Good idea with the hubs held by links. Ill try this :blush::thumbup:

Good to see that you've gotten back to building!

Ok so I really like your bodywork so far, but I would change the plate or brick behind the headlights to be LBG or if you want to get fancy you could use metallic silver (using plate 1x1 and plate 2x2 corner).

To address your axle: I really like your axle frame design, but I honestly believe using knob gears and not using the differential are mistakes. Firstly, if you don't want to use a diff, just use regular toothed gears. Knob gears are not meant to be used in place of regular toothed gears and contrary to common belief, they are not more robust. Secondly why don't you want to use a differential? Its diameter is not that much more than the three stud thick design you already have built. Unless you wanted to make your axle even skinnier, I see no reason to not use the differential. 

PS

Do you ever think you're going to build your TGX IRL?

13 hours ago, KikoTube said:

@I_Igor Thanks, there's still some Things that could be improved.

That's good to know. :thumbup: Im gonna satisfy your desire with some new Progress :grin: The back axle:

Already tested, the part at the axle which holds the link has to be stronger...

Achs2.lxf.png

Comments and Critism appreciated :wink:

This is most realistic idea for rear suspension and @Lipko gave you very good suggestion how to make it stronger :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I would definitely try to put in a differential, as that will really improve driving performance.

that should be mandatory :wink:

14 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I can tell this will be great, that front end is amazing. I would definitely try to put in a differential, as that will really improve driving performance.

Thanks :blush:, im gonna build in a diff, after all those comments I have to :grin:

6 hours ago, Beck said:

Ok so I really like your bodywork so far, but I would change the plate or brick behind the headlights to be LBG or if you want to get fancy you could use metallic silver (using plate 1x1 and plate 2x2 corner).

Done!

6 hours ago, Beck said:

To address your axle: I really like your axle frame design, but I honestly believe using knob gears and not using the differential are mistakes. Firstly, if you don't want to use a diff, just use regular toothed gears. Knob gears are not meant to be used in place of regular toothed gears and contrary to common belief, they are not more robust. Secondly why don't you want to use a differential? Its diameter is not that much more than the three stud thick design you already have built. Unless you wanted to make your axle even skinnier, I see no reason to not use the differential. 

Thanks for the Input! As i said on top, i am going to use diffs. :classic:

6 hours ago, Beck said:

Do you ever think you're going to build your TGX IRL?

For Sure, it's just a matter of time! :grin: I don't have too many parts, and that's why i often build digitally. I have still 3 files, which Need to be build, before i continue with the TGX :classic:

Gonna start Building the new Axle!

Ah, a thing I always wanted to build: a classic C10! You are going to build a panel version like in the photo or a stepside? Stepsides look more interesting in my opinion :wink:

Just now, Immo said:

Ah, a thing I always wanted to build: a classic C10! You are going to build a panel version like in the photo or a stepside? Stepsides look more interesting in my opinion :wink:

Yea, also on my wanted-list for a while :blush: No, going to be a Panel Version, the Stepside doesn't suit my liking  :grin:

1 hour ago, KikoTube said:

Yea, also on my wanted-list for a while :blush: No, going to be a Panel Version, the Stepside doesn't suit my liking  :grin:

And I thought we'll be friends... :wink:

Nah, but seriously though, I love those American pickups in all versions. It's just the more 'muscular' feeling of the stepside that leans me towards it. This, and Roadkill:

Just now, Immo said:

And I thought we'll be friends... :wink:

Nah, but seriously though, I love those American pickups in all versions. It's just the more 'muscular' feeling of the stepside that leans me towards it. This, and Roadkill:

We can still be :grin:

I can understand that, looks more sporty. Thanks for showing me Roadkill, I did not know that series. Looks like a lot of fun :)

Btw, i think i have the perfect axle. The links are directly connected to wheelhubs so there is almost no force on the Connection between diff and hubs. Also with panhard-rod

800x415.jpg

As always, Comments and Critism appreciated :laugh:

Just now, aminnich said:

Decided not to use hubs? 

Yes, there was no simple way to connect them with the links stable

Edited by KikoTube

1 minute ago, KikoTube said:

We can still be :grin:

I can understand that, looks more sporty. Thanks for showing me Roadkill, I did not know that series. Looks like a lot of fun :)

Roadkill is where I get 90% of my enthusiasm and knowledge about cars and modifications. And inspiration for building Lego cars and overcoming technical issues.

I love those guys for their authentic passion for everything they do, they are so natural compared to all the staged 'reality TV' about cars you see everywhere.

Perhaps you should build it like Unimog U400 only with big ball joint inverted and without portal hubs. Frame 5 x 7 could be connected with ball joint like on your posted image above...

Edited by I_Igor