Wedge09

[MOC] TIE/D Automated Starfighter (UCS style)

38604308426_f4cea72fbb_z.jpg

Greetings,
this is a UCS-style MOC of a lesser know TIE Fighter, the TIE/D Automated Starfighter.
It's the only TIE which has, as a pilot, a droid brain and no sentient.

This is the second installment of my growing family of UCS-style TIE Fighters.

35174455463_f707153586_z.jpg

35174445553_6d97a5a93d_z.jpg

37773077435_0371c51ca0_z.jpg

All photos can be found on my Flickr.

:classic:

I really like what you've done with the cockpit interior. The way the light is hitting it it almost seems back lit in reds. There is enough space inside, I wonder if you could pull off something with a light brick or two. The only thing I see that feels a little off to me is the pylons, they seem long in comparison to this reference from wookipedia.

On 26/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, EnderWiggen said:

Wow nice and shiny.

Thank you :classic:

21 hours ago, theDeanoRama said:

I really like what you've done with the cockpit interior. The way the light is hitting it it almost seems back lit in reds. There is enough space inside, I wonder if you could pull off something with a light brick or two. The only thing I see that feels a little off to me is the pylons, they seem long in comparison to this reference from wookipedia.

About the interior: glad you like it, there is space inside for some lights, not fully sure for LEGO lights but for a third-party led, yes. 

That's the reference on which I worked on. Slightly (given by the pieces inside), but the wings are in scale with the cockpit so that should compensate, yes? :classic:

54 minutes ago, Wedge09 said:

About the interior: glad you like it, there is space inside for some lights, not fully sure for LEGO lights but for a third-party led, yes. 

That's the reference on which I worked on. Slightly (given by the pieces inside), but the wings are in scale with the cockpit so that should compensate, yes? :classic:

Don't get me wrong, this rocks my socks and I'm hoping your going to be sharing/selling an ldd or pdf based on this build sometime in the future. I'm starting to turn into a bit of a TIE collector. Currently working my way through some of the Rebel Builder models. I'm more curious than anything else if there is/was a way to shave off 2 or 3 studs in length on the pylons.

3 minutes ago, theDeanoRama said:

Don't get me wrong, this rocks my socks and I'm hoping your going to be sharing/selling an ldd or pdf based on this build sometime in the future. I'm starting to turn into a bit of a TIE collector. Currently working my way through some of the Rebel Builder models. I'm more curious than anything else if there is/was a way to shave off 2 or 3 studs in length on the pylons.

Ahem... there is no LDD files cause I just worked from the image directly on bricks, so I don't think I'll make them anytime soon :grin:

It could be possible to take away 2 studs changing the internal pieces yes, 3 would be too much and it would compromise stability too I think.

And that's the second of a growing series so I'll post more somewhere in the future :wink:

On 30/11/2017 at 12:55 PM, Wedge09 said:

I've been playing with this in LDD. The big caveat is that I've not yet tested my hinge solution in real bricks to see if I can attain and maintain my desired angle. Over the Xmas break I may try mocking up the pylon to see if it will do what I want it to do. I'm using a couple of these hinge combos to attain what you see here. I managed to squeeze in 2 light bricks with room to add a couple of part 44728 to lock the switches on from the top hatch. The 14 stud beams used in the original pylons have been shortened down to 6 studs to bring the solar array wing panels in closer to the cockpit.

On 7/12/2017 at 4:56 AM, MovieMocs said:

Sweet design! Love the ucs scale. Not a common ship but you make it look sick none the less :)

On 7/12/2017 at 8:25 AM, sander1992 said:

Great UCS version of the TIE/D Fighter.

The shape of the cockpit is really nice. :classic:

Thank you to both! :thumbup:

On 7/12/2017 at 12:37 AM, theDeanoRama said:

I've been playing with this in LDD. The big caveat is that I've not yet tested my hinge solution in real bricks to see if I can attain and maintain my desired angle. Over the Xmas break I may try mocking up the pylon to see if it will do what I want it to do. I'm using a couple of these hinge combos to attain what you see here. I managed to squeeze in 2 light bricks with room to add a couple of part 44728 to lock the switches on from the top hatch. The 14 stud beams used in the original pylons have been shortened down to 6 studs to bring the solar array wing panels in closer to the cockpit.

That's a really nice work! :thumbup: Instead of using that hinges, I used more movable pieces and found the right angle to position the wings (making it more transportable too) :classic:

On 16/12/2017 at 2:31 AM, Wedge09 said:

Thank you to both! :thumbup:

That's a really nice work! :thumbup: Instead of using that hinges, I used more movable pieces and found the right angle to position the wings (making it more transportable too) :classic:

Thanks :D I potentially changed what I may consider for articulating the panels. Take a look in PMs. I was second guessing myself tonight as to whether or not the ratchet on the hinges would hit just the right angle.