I fully accept that opinions will differ and that everyone is entitled to their point of view. In matters of taste, there is no right and wrong: de gustibus non est disputandom. But I was curious about the lack of love for the Hulk vs Red Hulk set ( @AntiKragle @ElectroDiva ). Sure the vehicles are goofy and not needed by enraged monsters that can bound faster and probably for longer than one of those trucks can go. But the figs in that set are great: a classic bigfig Hulk, with Red Hulk, She-Hulk and Red She-Hulk just as one would imagine them in LEGO. No? 

@AmperZand - I actually don't mind the figs in that set - they're not bad (apart from that red hulk fig which I didn't like)

For me it's what the set represents. £55 for 4 ok figs and 2 crappy vehicles. It just seemed a pretty cynical money grab to me. This approach was evident all across the 2017 Marvel superheroes theme this year. Essentially phoned in builds as a figleaf for selling "premium" minifigs and bigfigs.

Luckily there were lots of other great sets this year so I voted with my wallet and bought those instead. 

Edited by ElectroDiva

On 09/12/2017 at 8:10 PM, Vindicare said:

Why so much dislike for Batman Movie sets? I recently built 70917, it’s a fun build & a cool & creatvive model. I don’t like low riders in any form, but I adore Joker’s. The Batmobile is a fun, different take on the vehicle. I will echo some sentiments though...

Because I don't think they are very good for the most part. Not all the sets are bad, but the cars are particularly bad for me. The Joker lowrider looks terrible to me and the Batmobiles just plain awful. Whereas the Penguin's arctic roller is a really nice car. And the choice for the minifigure, it is all down to Robin's glasses. The torsos he has are not too bad, but the stupid glasses wreck the figures. I know they are movie accurate, and that is the problem.

Like ElectroDiva, I used Robert8's formatting:

Best Theme: Lego Ninjago Movie (the sole reason why I'm glad the Lego Ninjago Movie exists)

Honourable mentions: Ideas, Lego Batman Movie, Star Wars Rogue One (if you can call two sets a "theme")

Best Minifigure: Killer Croc (the one from the Tail Gator, not that abomination from the Sewer Smash set)

Honourable mentions: Yondu, Glam Metal Batman, 4-Lom, Batgirl (both the one from the Lego Batman Movie and the one from DC Superhero Girls)

Best Set: Saturn V

Honourable mentions: Green Ninja Mech Dragon, Y-Wing Bomber, The Scuttler, The Goblin King's Evil Dragon

Worst Theme: BrickHeadz (when the best sets in the theme are all convention exclusives, there's something wrong with that theme)

Dishonourable mentions: Disney's Moana, Dimensions, everything from Star Wars that wasn't from Rogue One

Worst Minifigure: Kiss Kiss Tuxedo Batman (because it never became a real minifig)

Dishonourable mentions: all the Teen Titans minifigs, Lloyd and Sensei Wu from the Lego Ninjago Movie Collectible Minifigures series (because they were nearly identical to the minifigs that came in other sets)

Worst Set: Harley Quinn to the Rescue

Dishonourable mentions: Spider-Man ATM Heist Battle, Moana's Ocean Voyage (that Maui bigfig is a thing of nightmares), Nexo Power Packs (they sold so poorly that Lego didn't even release Series 2 in the U.S.)

Most Anticipated in 2018: Jurrassic World Fallen Kingdom sets (I love dino molds)

Honourable mentions: everything else (based on rumors so far, 2018 looks like a promising year)

Edited by bobasdad

Best Theme: The Lego Batman Movie (honourable mentions: Ninjago Movie, Star Wars, Speed Champions)

Best Set: Ninjago City (hm: Saturn V, Millennium Falcon)

Best minifigure: The Riddler (hm: Bane, Spider-Man, Iron-Man ANAD, Two-Face)

Worst Theme: Marvel Superheroes (HM: DC Superheroes)

Worst Set: ATM Heist Battle (HM: First Order Heavy Scout Walker, Hulk Vs Red Hulk, Captain America Jet Set) 

Worst Minifigure: Shocker (HM: The Vulture)

most looking forward to in 2018: Harry Potter and Infinity War!

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

Best Set: Ninjago City (hm: Saturn V, Millennium Falcon)

first mention of that set... perhaps no one has it yet, still

Best Theme: The Lego Ninjago Movie. Incredible range of sets, all very high quality throughout different price points and all wonderfully varied. You have beautiful large sets like Ninjago City and Destiny's Bounty which will go down in LEGO history I think as some of the most loved sets ever produced; you also had several really wonderful mid-range sets like the Green Ninja Mech Dragon; and even genuinely delightful small sets like Master Falls, Ninjago City Chase and Spinjitzu Training. It was really a theme that had something for everyone, even if they weren't previously interested in Ninjago; a dragon, a ship, a gorgeous pseudo-modular, jungle settings, mechs, flying craft, you name it.

Honorable mention: Ideas. This didn't get the top spot simply because it didn't have the sheer range that the Ninjago Movie did, and because the Adventure Time model wasn't good in my opinion. However, the Women of NASA set was a nice thing to get; and of course, the theme smashed it out of the park with the Old Fishing Store and Saturn V, again, two sets that will be very fondly remembered in the future.

Best Minifigure: I honestly have no idea for this one, as I tend to focus on builds rather than minifigs at this point.

Best Set: Old Fishing Store. This was a really tough one to choose, as there were some FANTASTIC sets this year; however, I gave the Old Fishing Store the edge purely because of its originality. It's a gorgeous, visually appealing set that also has a ton of interior details (it's incredibly generous with the things it gives you) and so much character to it - you can tell that it was designed out of the love of a fan. I also chose it because of its price point: it's pricey (as all large LEGO sets are) but not completely out of the reach of children who want to ask for it as a big gift. It's just a lovely set that can appeal to a wide range of people and is wholly unique.

Honorable mentions: Ninjago City, Destiny's Bounty. These are both gorgeous sets! I couldn't give Ninjago City the top spot simply because of its price point - I think the 'best set' should appeal to kids too. Destiny's Bounty is glorious and I really struggled to decide between it and the Old Fishing Store, but ultimately my town-building side won. Still, Destiny's Bounty is the first ship that has appealed to me enough to buy it, as well as being well-priced, packed with fantastic details and including every ninja minifigure, as well as being an absolutely stunning model.

Worst Theme: BrickHeadz. I understand that these are meant as collectables ala Funko Pops, but I have a real problem with LEGO producing renditions of characters with absolutely no pose-ability, movement or play features at all. A LEGO set that does not want to be played with is not a good set, in my opinion.

Dishonorable mention: Nexo Knights. That colour scheme remains very garish to me.

Worst Minifigure: Again, no idea really.

Worst Set: All of the Brickheadz. All of them. :laugh: