Didumos69

[TIP] Pure LEGO turn-table based wheel hub

Modern LEGO wheel hubs are known to suffer from a lot of slack. Other drawbacks are that you can only use them with CVT joints - not with the stronger and more angleable U-joints - and the section inbetween the pin holes of the hub is wider than 1 stud.

11950c01.png

While playing with one of them I noticed that part of the slack is because the DBG pins don't sit very tight in the wheel's pin holes. It helps a little if you have an axle running through the wheel which extends into the DBG-part of the hub.

Now I know @nicjasno sells modified wheel hubs based on small turn tables, which have much less slack than the original wheel hubs. But than you still can only use them with the weak CVT joints. And you have a modified part. So I looked into using a turntable as wheel hub for the 15038 wheel (with 6 pinholes) without modifying it and it gives quite a good result. Better than the LEGO wheel hub:

800x450.jpg

The turn table is attached to the wheel with 2 3L pins. The assembly inside the wheel makes sure the turn table's pinholes are attached to a pin and not to an axle (which would give slack) and sits tight against the inside of the wheel to give stability. Finally an extra belt wheel is attached to the wheel to give even more stability to the 2 3L pins that connect the assembly to the wheel.

Spoiler

800x150.jpg

800x225.jpg

800x225.jpg

800x225.jpg

800x225.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

This is a clever and small solution. I like brickbuild wheelhubs more than standard LEGO ones anyways, mostly because of slack, but also to allow for more realistic geometry.

I recon this solution will only work on non-steered axles. If you add steering, the steering pivot would be way outside (to the inside...) of the wheel, so a bit unrealistic. Unless you add virtual pivot steering...

It is indeed ingenious. I guess the reason you chose not to use double crossblocks was to prevent the slack a 3L axle would give, right?

I am a bit surprised that the pivot point seems to be half a stud more inward, apparently I never really checked the geometry of the normal hubs...

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

I recon this solution will only work on non-steered axles.

I've seen examples where the wheel hub with two pin holes - normally used for rear axles - is used for front axles, for instance in Nathanael Kuiper's Predator. The pivot depends on how you use it.

800x450.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I guess the reason you chose not to use double crossblocks was to prevent the slack a 3L axle would give, right?

Indeed. And this arrangement sits slightly against the inside of the wheel, giving the whole setup stability without keeping the 3L pins from 'clicking' into the wheel. The pivot is indeed a little less than half a stud worse compared to the LEGO wheel hub.

4 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Thanks for showing this. It's a bit large for most of my builds, but maybe in the future this will be handy...

I don't know what you mean with large, but if it's the wheel size, you can do more or less the same for the 56908 wheels. With crossblocks. The only drawback compared to the bigger version is that there are two 3L axle running through the turn-table pin-holes, which introduces a little slack, but still much less than the LEGO wheel hubs:

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Intetesting idea. I'll note that one, perhaps it could be usefull in future with credits to Porsche perfectionist :wink:

BTW what happened to your breadcrumbs?

Very nice. I think my Class Xerion tires should get ready for some new hubs. I currently do not have the Porsche wheels, but I would prefer to use them without the traditional wheel hubs. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify these turntable wheel hubs or something else for the Porsche wheels? Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I don't know what you mean with large, but if it's the wheel size, you can do more or less the same for the 56908 wheels. With crossblocks. The only drawback compared to the bigger version is that there are two 3L axle running through the turn-table pin-holes, which introduces a little slack, but still much less than the LEGO wheel hubs:

*removed photo*

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure it would fit with these hubs. Good to know, I just might try those out today.

I just figured that when you would replace the two 3L pins by this (see image), the wheel will never come off the turn-table :sweet: (idea of replacing a 3l pin with this from @agrof's class 1 buggy, and probably used by others too).

800x225.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69