cimddwc

[MOC] Grand Palace Hotel

Hi everyone,

I've been building this hotel off and on over the past couple of years - most of the interior is still not built, but it was ready for display last weekend on Bricking Bavaria 2017:

38566931752_dc5f77cab0_c.jpgHotel lakeside 5 (BB2017) by cimddwc, on Flickr

Covering 5x2½ baseplates (including pavement and lake), featuring a total of 80 beds in 12 suites, 24 rooms and a group section, plus dining hall (presented earlier here), bar, two conference rooms, sun terrace, pool, gym, sauna, massage, lake access with a small beach and jet skis.

26822999099_9e6f0495ef_c.jpgHotel streetside 2 (BB2017) by cimddwc, on Flickr

Inspired mostly by the belle époque hotels in Montreux on the Lage Geneva shoreline, and others. In detail:

General architecture: Montreux Palace, Suisse Majestic, Eden Palace Au Lac.
Main colors: Montreux Palace, Suisse Majestic.
Level of decoration: Montreux Palace.
Raised ground floor: Eden.
Corner turret: Eden.
Main entrance: The Langham (London).
Dining hall: Salle Empire (Hôtel de Paris, Monaco).

Lego inspirations:
Some gables by Jonas Wide
Partial entrance decoration by eliza

26823000359_1de4878c88_c.jpgHotel streetside 1 (BB2017) by cimddwc, on Flickr

26823008369_6682a047dd_c.jpgHotel main entrance 2 by cimddwc, on Flickr

24727448928_3c1d00bca2.jpgHotel jet skis by cimddwc, on Flickr

26822996579_01900f9340.jpgHotel sun terrace by cimddwc, on Flickr

The interior of most of the basement and raised ground floor is complete: Reception, annual gathering of mascots and advertising characters:

38599762181_944b59881d.jpgHotel reception by cimddwc, on Flickr

26823007419_9661439128.jpgHotel mascot conference by cimddwc, on Flickr

Some shady business conference:

38599755841_9276eb56d6.jpgHotel business conference 1 by cimddwc, on Flickr

Gym, pool, sauna and massage:

38599749231_d44060cd51.jpgHotel gym by cimddwc, on Flickr

38566928592_ee4c51d9af.jpgHotel pool by cimddwc, on Flickr

26823006559_6e76319fb8.jpgHotel massage and sauna by cimddwc, on Flickr

» More images on Flickr

Future changes will include a complete interior, a detachable side wall (on the left, opposite the dining hall) so visitors can look inside, and probably some lights.

Further ideas and comments welcome, of course. Hope you like it. :)

Edited by cimddwc

This is amazing. Love the grey archs section on the side of the building. Hats off, mister.

Edited by Gongoro73

Excellent build! Your photo of just the entrance way look like an actual building rather than one made out of Lego. Love the humorous gatherings of minifigs. So many bathing suits required :).

This is simply incredible. I remember your Dining hall from last year, and I had no idea it will be a part of this large building. It's hard to point out just a few of the outstanding details, but here I go. The colors scheme is lovely, going from dark shades to very light ones. The yellow awnings are actually outstanding, I'd never go for a color combo like this, but it looks very good (need to remember it). The architecture is amazing, the walls have enough detail to make it interesting. My favourite part is definitely the top floors and roof. Will have to look into more details, I'm sure I'll find some interesting connections.

On the side note, seeing interior details, although not completely furnished, is just icing on the cake. It seems the hotel has everything you need. My favourite is definitely the pool area with the calming white and aqua tiles. Also, ''step'' to the pool are a nice hidden detail. Is there any view from the pool to the outside? I can't exactly place it. I wish I had a chance to see it in person (perhaps next BB2019?), there's a reason you're one of my favourite modular builders. Congratulations on this excellent building!

Thanks, everyone!

The yellow+tan+white color combo looks also great in real life in Montreux. :) And by the way, when I was there and took a photo of the Montreux Palace some years ago, there was one awning stuck on one side like in my MOC. No-one repairing it at that moment, though.

Regarding BB2019: It's likely (though not certain yet) that we'll move to the even years, so that would be BB2018 already.

Ok I was expecting something fantastic when you posted the dining hall but this is several levels above that...

The build is flawless. The proportions are as perfect as it can get. The details are wonderful and very well chosen without overdoing it. Your color selection is always spot on. And I don‘t even need to mention your dedication to sometimes quite funny interior details. I could go on and on. ;-)

What impresses me the most is that you pull off such builds without digital aid like LDD. When I compare the time I need for my builds digitally where I can swap around parts everywhere and anytime I can hardly imagine the time involved into such a project. :)

Astoundingly gorgeous MOC! The level of detail throughout every inch of such a massive build is staggering. Beautiful, amazing, master builder work. :wub:

That is one pretty thing to be proud of! You'll make all of us seem terrible useless builders! Having been to Montreux this summer, I must say that in Lego it works better than in real life. And that façade that would face the sea with all the terraces and balconies. You got me there! Particularly love the curved grey "greenhouse" thingy, it looks super and all the white decorations on top of arches and entranceways also look mind-boggling

Congrats!

I love this build. You did a very good job, i could never build that, even if it was my dream wish. Really great and fun looking build. :classic:

Delightful Hotel :wub:

I would like to have such a modular building in my collection! :grin:
The sauna and interior decorations are exceptional ... luxury drain off from every brick of this imposing building! :laugh:
The part I like most is the sea with water games! :thumbup:

Living just a couple of dozen km from montreux, I see the building that inspired this almost weekly.  I have to say you’ve captured the look and feel of the palace hotel, brilliantly.

Outstanding work. 

Gorgeous MOC, looks a bit like something you would see in Singapore

Thanks again, everyone!

3 hours ago, Good Old Dude said:

You can post this on Lego ideas!

I don't think they'd ever turn something with a piece count of several Millennium Falcons into an Ideas set. :)

Just now, cimddwc said:

Thanks again, everyone!

I don't think they'd ever turn something with a piece count of several Millennium Falcons into an Ideas set. :)

Yes,they don't want his set,because it's too big!