MKJoshA

Episode XVII: The Battle For Endor

shadowsofeurobricks_titlecard.png

Episode XVII: Battle For Endor

37676803875_c16cbfdaae_c.jpg

SoNE Episode XVII

28996017411_1c068ea79c_s.jpg: Many Bothans died, and perhaps many of you will too. But this is it everyone. We must take out the Shield Generator if our ships are to have a chance to take out the Death Star II. If the Empire keeps us from knocking the generator out, it's likely most of our troops and ships will be destroyed.

SoNE Episode XVII

Rex: Come on men! Solo said we needed to meet up with him in the trees somewhere. We have to get out of these grass lands!

SoNE Episode XVII

Stormtrooper: Keep moving men! We have to reinforce the Shield Generator! Vader says the Rebels are going to try to blow it up. We must stop them for the Emperor!

30287059074_544c206cba_c.jpg

Game Play

• Both teams will work to achieve the most XP and end the game. The game ends when the first team reaches the shield generator.
  • The game will be broken up into 1 week periods. During each week period, each team may submit a MOC depicting the terrain of their team's marker. They must also state a direction of travel and an intended destination, no more than 5 squares away (unless a bonus is in play).   Each MOC will earn XP which will equal the number of squares a team is allowed to move. RULE UPDATE: Each XP earned will allow a team to move twice as far. This will look something like:
    • The previous entry earned 4XP so the team gets to move up to 4 squares.
    • Bob posts a build showing the grasslands his team is on.
    • Bob chooses where to move with the 4 movement points.
    • He picks to try to head to F2.
    • Map is revealed based on Bob's movement.
    • Bob's build is judged (3XP).
    • The week ends and a new one begins.
    • Jane posts a build, based on the terrain of the square where Bob ended his movement.
    • She chooses where to move with the 3 movement points.
    • And so on.
  • Each team has a beginning square. For the first week, since there was no previous build, each team gets to move up to 3 spaces. Each team can see the squares directly connected to them (not diagonally connected to them) as well as all previously revealed squares. Teams can see the squares revealed by both teams.

37603168534_d3e0233e86_o.jpg

• Movement direction must be specifically declared each turn. For example, move left 3 spaces to F1 and down 1 space to F2. You can also just say "I want to head towards F2, avoiding obstacles." At that point the Game Master will choose the route for you that best avoids obstacles and collects bonuses.

37603168394_b3f8fe7207_o.jpg

• Throughout the map are various obstacles and bonuses. Bodies of water and mountains cannot be crossed without a bonus enhancement. Rivers can be crossed at any time. If the declared movement of a team results in them being stopped by a barrier, their movement will be modified. When stating the desired movement (move left 3 spaces to F1 and down 1 space to F2) the player must also state a preference of "up" or "down" and of "left" or "right." This preference will dictate the modified movement.
  • For example, if a player submits a MOC and states they want to "move down 3 spaces and right 1 space;" but they hit a mountain:

37603168224_e6f7a4ef57_o.jpg

• Then if their chosen preference was "down" and "left" the movement would look like this:

37603168064_f704b65d20_o.jpg

• But if the chosen preference was "down" and "right" the movement would look like this:

37603167844_eb6c4af794_o.jpg

• Bonuses are obtained if a team lands on or passes through the squares containing the bonus. Bonuses can be revealed but not obtained if a team reveals a square within 3 spaces of the square containing a bonus. Bonuses included, but are not limited to:
    • extra XP earned for the team in increments of 5, 10, and 25XP
    • extra movement allowed next turn
    • the ability to cross bodies of water
    • the ability to cross mountains
    • negative movement restrictions applied to the opposite team
  • For example, if a team moved down and left and there were 2 bonuses near by, this is what the map would look like:

24677167718_19bf589b41.jpg

• Spoiler

• For reference, here is the full revealed example map:

37603167694_c6fbc81f9a_o.jpg

• MOCs will need to display the terrain the team is currently on. If the team is on a square with grasslands, then some sort of plains should be displayed. If they are on a square with a body of water in or next to it, then a shore line should be part of the build.
  • The list of different terrains you might encounter is: Forest, Plains, Mountains, Shore, Lake, or River.
  • Each team starts on a Forest square.
  • Each MOC will be scored as quickly as possible. All MOCs will be scored by the Monday afternoon after the game week ends. Each MOC will be scored on a scale of 5 points. If the MOC does not match the terrain the team is on, it will not score any points regardless of quality. The judges will be understanding on this point if your collection is limited, but please try to be creative.
  • 1 XP earned allows a team to move 1 square into the unknown/fog or 2 squares into what has already been revealed. This allows teams to travel back to collect bonuses faster if needed.
  • Each player can submit as many MOCs for this episode as they want. But any one player cannot submit more than 1 every 2 weeks.
  • Each MOC must be at least 16x16. There is no maximum size requirement.
  • A game week starts and ends on Sunday at noon, Central Standard Time.
  • The team that reaches the Shield Generator first will receive a bonus of 25XP. At that point the game will end and all XP will be tallied to find the winning team.

Some other points of interest:

• Teams will need to plan in advance for building on different types of terrain. You may want to have a few MOCs in reserve if you land on a different terrain type.
  • The bonus XP that can be found across the map can make or break the game. Don't discount it!
  • The map may have more surprises. Be ready for anything!
  • You can depict your team fighting with locals or forces from the other team. Each team only has one "game piece" to move across the board, but that doesn't mean you can't show skirmishes with other Rebel or Imperial forces you happen to come across in your MOCs.
  • Game masters can build and submit MOCs, but they cannot choose where to move the game piece. Another member of the team must do that.

Rules

• All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Nar Eurbrikka subform, the title prefixed by "[Ep. XVII]", your team, the week you're building for, and your personal title. For example, "[Ep. XVII] [Empire] [Week 3] Dealing with Ewoks." 
  • The Episode will start on November 25 and end when a team reaches the Shield Generator.
  • Entries will be judged on a 1-5 point scale, however the judges see fit.
  • This episode/contest is open to all players of Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka, even if they joined EB or signed up for the game after the episode has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win XP or prizes; the EB admins and moderators, who are not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP; and the episode host, who is not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the episode. Exceptions can be made if you want to enter your MOC for another, current contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO or with Lego Digital Designer. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts.
  • Post pictures no larger than 1024x768, as specified in the EB Member Guidelines.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on as many shots as you like. At least one shot must be posted (under a spoiler tag, if desired) with no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited,.
  • All rules in the Core Rules topic apply unless otherwise stated in this explanation or the rules above.

Rule Updates/Clarifications:

• As stated in the rules teams can move 2 spaces through spaces that have already been revealed. However, this only includes spaces revealed on previous turns. It could be argued that the space in front of a team is revealed as they move forward so therefore every space is "revealed." This is not the case. When counting revealed squares for movement, you must round down. Therefore, if you move through 3 revealed spaces, it would count as 2 movements. 1 for 2 revealed squares and 1 for the remaining square. If you move through 3 unrevealed squares and 1 revealed square it would take 4 movements.
  • Squares like the revealed D23 and S2 can be landed on without any bonus even though the square contains much water. As long as at least 1/4 of the square has land on it it can be treated as a land square.

Prizes

• All players with the winning fleet will receive this tag 26970706609_2be79188e2_o.jpg to commemorate their victory. You can only have one of these tags or one of the Community Build tags at a time, but a log will be kept of all the tags you've earned in your profile in the Player Index.
  • Physical prizes are also available! The 75178 Jakku Quadjumper will go to the player with the highest amount of XP earned during this episode, and 75183 Darth Vader Transformation to the player who submitted the most builds during the episode, regardless of XP gained (should that player be identical with the first winner, the second prize will instead go to the player with the second-highest amount of builds).
  • You will receive XP equal to the number of points you are awarded from the judges for each MOC.
  • The winning team may choose any one unclaimed planet to add to their faction's territory.
  • The players on the winning team will be given bonuses at the beginning of SoNE 2.0

Game Updates:

MapWeek27

Bonus:
Rebels:
R3 - 5 Extra Movements
R4 - Each week, 2 players may submit a build instead of just 1
L9 - 5 Extra Team XP
C14 - 5 Extra Team XP
A15 - Rebels can move across mountains
D6 - Rebels receive 3 extra XP and movement points for next week
B6 - Rebels can move across bodies of water
B3 - 25 Extra Team XP
E1 - 10 Extra Team XP
J2 - 5 Extra Movements
M5 - 10 Extra Team XP
S1 - 10 Extra Team XP
T7 - Rebels receive 3 extra XP and movement points for next week
T11 - 15 Extra Team XP
T25 - 25 Extra Team XP
S25 - Rebels can enter the Shield Generator

Empire:
E19 - Each week, 2 players may submit a build instead of just 1
H17 - The Rebels receive 2 fewer XP and movement points next week
I21 - The Empire receives 3 extra XP and movement points for next week
O19 - 5 Extra Movements
U15 - 5 Extra Team XP
T9 - Empire can move across mountains
P14 - The Rebels receive 2 fewer XP and movement points next week
F2 - Empire can move across bodies of water
G13 - 15 Extra Team XP
D19 - The Rebels receive 2 fewer XP and movement points next week
K24 - 5 Extra Team XP
U25 - The Empire can enter the Shield Generator

Week 1:
Rebels - movement gained (3)
Empire - movement gained (3)

Week 2:
Empire - movement gained (1)
Rebels - movement gained (2)

Week 3:
Rebels - movement gained (1)
Empire - movement gained (2)

Week 4:
Empire - movement gained (4)
Rebels - movement gained (2)(+5 movement)

Week 5:

Week 6:
Rebels lose 2 XP and movement netting (4) for this week.

Week 7:

Week 8:
Empire - movement gained (5)
Rebels - movement gained (4)

Week 9:
Empire - movement gained (3)(+3 XP and movement)

Week 10:
Empire - movement gained (2)(+5 movement)

Week 11:

Week 12:

Week 13:
Empire - movement gained (5)

Week 14:

Week 15:
Rebels - movement gained (1)(+3 XP and movement)

Week 16:
Empire - movement gained (4)
Rebels - movement gained (5)(-2 XP and movement)

Week 17:

Week 18:

Week 19:
Empire - movement gained (3)(+3 XP and movement)

Week 20:
Rebels - movement gained (2)(+5 movement)

Week 21:
Rebels - movement gained (2)(+3 XP and movement)

Week 22:
Rebels - (-2 movement)

Week 23:

Week 24:
Empire - movement gained (3)

Week 25:

Week 26:

You guys keep impressing with new and fresh ideas to shake things up for each episode. Brilliant. I'll make sure not to miss out on this one again, it's just too much fun and I'll finally have an opportunity to put my foliage pieces to good use, yay! I would also like to stress how cleverly you solved the duration/deadline discussion for this episode. Don't think this has been gone unnoticed. :wink:

As always though, I have to hassle you with additional questions :excited: It's about the terrains:

Here, we have depictions of grassland, water and mountains/rocky terrain. As Endor is known for its woods, does grassland equal forest/woods terrain as well (the Imps are shown next to large trees in the briefing, but the rebels are not)? Or is there a specific "forest terrain" as well where we get to show lush woods and vegetation? Will we get a list of possible terrains or at least a broader sense of what do expect in that terms, something along the lines of "Expect the unexpected" or "You'll get to be creative"? :wink:

Also, the text in the opening crawl is cut off a little bit at the right side.

Edited by Cody Startale

Looks very interesting! Landscapes are more my thing than spaceships so I'll definitely make an effort this episode!

8 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

You guys keep impressing with new and fresh ideas to shake things up for each episode. Brilliant. I'll make sure not to miss out on this one again, it's just too much fun and I'll finally have an opportunity to put my foliage pieces to good use, yay! I would also like to stress how cleverly you solved the duration/deadline discussion for this episode. Don't think this has been gone unnoticed. :wink:

As always though, I have to hassle you with additional questions :excited: It's about the terrains:

Here, we have depictions of grassland, water and mountains/rocky terrain. As Endor is known for its woods, does grassland equal forest/woods terrain as well (the Imps are shown next to large trees in the briefing, but the rebels are not)? Or is there a specific "forest terrain" as well where we get to show lush woods and vegetation? Will we get a list of possible terrains or at least a broader sense of what do expect in that terms, something along the lines of "Expect the unexpected" or "You'll get to be creative"? :wink:

Great questions! First, Endor is known as a "forest" moon, but it has much more than just trees. You can see the terrain variation in the planet shot in the first post, as well as here. I'll add the list of different terrains in the rules, but in short it's Forest, Plains, Mountains, Shore, Lake, or River. How you depict these is totally up to you, and creativity is encouraged!

And sorry about the title crawl. I just tried to edit it in Gimp, but I can't find a fast way to do it. We'll just have to live with it for now.

On 11/22/2017 at 10:59 AM, MKJoshA said:

Great questions! First, Endor is known as a "forest" moon, but it has much more than just trees. You can see the terrain variation in the planet shot in the first post, as well as here. I'll add the list of different terrains in the rules, but in short it's Forest, Plains, Mountains, Shore, Lake, or River. How you depict these is totally up to you, and creativity is encouraged!

And sorry about the title crawl. I just tried to edit it in Gimp, but I can't find a fast way to do it. We'll just have to live with it for now.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:41 AM, Cody Startale said:

As @MKJoshA said , it is a lot more than forest. I personally know this from playing start wars battlefront. I would recommend all of you to maybe watch some clips to what the terrain might bring.

Edited by LegoRacer1
forgot the said, and I'm not Mkjosha.

5 hours ago, LegoRacer1 said:

As @MKJoshA, it is a lot more than forest. I personally know this from playing start wars battlefront. I would recommend all of you to maybe watch some clips to what the terrain might bring.

Good suggestion.  You could also, if you wanted to go the extra mile (1.6 km), sit down to watch Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle For Endor.  Apparently, Endor even has a desert region.  

UPDATE! Prizes are going to be available for the player with the highest XP and the player who submits the most builds. Check it out in the Prizes section.

Just now, MovieMocs said:

I wanna play. How do I join a team?

First of all you choose a fraction the Rebels or the Empire, you then go and read the general rules, once that's done introduce yourself in the introduction thread. That's all

But that's just a simplification.

Also @MKJoshA are mods also available to win the prizes too?

17 hours ago, LegoRacer1 said:

Also @MKJoshA are mods also available to win the prizes too?

I'm going to make an executive decision and say that game masters are allowed to earn XP (as usual) but not physical prizes.

1 hour ago, Markov Zinhae said:

When do I post my MOC? 

You can post freebuilds anytime in the main Nar Eurbrikka forum. If you want to post for the contest I suggest working with your team in the private message you're a part of. You may not be able to interact with the message until you have 10 posts. The easiest way to get to 10 is to comment on some of the other fantastic builds here on SoNE.

The game is underway! Updates will be made in the 2nd post. Scores will be given by Monday, but I saw no reason to wait to update the map. The Empire is still on a Forest square. The Rebels are now on a Plains square.

Wait...Endor ends at noon today or starts at noon today? So Can I post my moc for endor right now?

And when I post a moc for my team how do I know how many movements I have to work with?

Just now, MovieMocs said:

Wait...Endor ends at noon today or starts at noon today? So Can I post my moc for endor right now?

And when I post a moc for my team how do I know how many movements I have to work with?

I believe your build is judged on a scale of one to five and that's how many movement points you get.

3 hours ago, MovieMocs said:

Each week starts and ends at noon today. Which for me, was 1.5 hours ago. So the new week has started.

3 hours ago, LegoRacer1 said:

I believe your build is judged on a scale of one to five and that's how many movement points you get.

Correct.

2 hours ago, MovieMocs said:

Alright, I have a forest and river moc build and ready for posting. Should I post them now?

If you're team is on board, you can now post a MOC for the week for your team. The Empire is on a Forest Square now so I suggest using that build.

2 hours ago, MovieMocs said:

@MKJoshA

Thanks man, I already posted my forest moc in the nar eurbrikka fourms page...I think that was the right place?

You posted it in the right place!

And what if our team has multiple entry's for the same week, we both should use the same xp from last week?

Edited by Gubi0222