Sign in to follow this  
Calabar

Restore clip's clutch power

In the last period I've seen many "C" clips (such as this one) from my sets that lost their clutch power.
So I've car doors that falls in a creator set, wing opened thanks to gravity in my micro x-wing, and so on...

I'm trying to find an effective way to restore or at least improve the clutch power.

For minifigure hands is almost easy, that because I can use a round 1x1 place, place it over the hand and leave it for days/weeks/months... At the end of the period the slight deformation is enough to restore a bit of clutch power.
Different kettle of fish for the "C" clips, where round plate don't fit. Any idea different from using a bench vise?

Edited by Calabar

3 hours ago, Calabar said:

I'm trying to find an effective way to restore or at least improve the clutch power.

The clutch of most joints can be completely restored using Humbrol Satin Cote. I explain the technique here in relation to minifigure legs, but it works just as well for other connectors.

If the joint is hidden, you can use a cote other than satin. But the satin one when dry is the same lustre as LEGO parts, so is completely invisible.

It is important to apply a very thin cote, allowing plenty of time for it to dry, testing it and, if necessary, applying another very thin cote. The mistake you want to avoid is applying too much at once. You may want to try it on some test pieces before you do it on anything expensive/difficult to obtain.

Another way is to put in a very slither of paper, or some tape on the part being clipped in.

Or just chuck them away and get new ones on bricklink, for most colours they are cheap enough.

Thanks for the answers!

@AmperZand
You mean I've to "kragle" my legos? :grin:

To say the true, I was looking for a way to "renew" the part without adding any density/layer. Maybe a solution similar to the round clip for minifigure hands that suits the "C" clips.

Obviously I could buy the loose part, but I like to preserve original parts of a set when possible.

I think if you squeeze them together and hold them long enough they will eventually have increased clutch (like you do for hands), but it is a lot of work for something so cheap. Local heating while clamped will help speed it up a bit.

I've thrown parts into boiling water, then retrieved them - you have a few seconds to bend the part into the desired shape before the plastic cools.  Take obvious safety precautions!

I usually use the hairdryer to heat parts and adjust them, but in this case the gap is millimetric, I don't think that a manual bending could be precise enough.