Now that we have pictures of the new 1H 2018 flagship model, let's discuss them ...

42078_00.jpg

42078_01.jpg

42078_02.jpg

42078_03.jpg

42078_04.jpg

42078_05.jpg

42078_06.jpg

42078_07.jpg

B - model ...

42078_08.jpg

42078_09.jpg

Edited by AndroTech

I'm browsing b-model pictures and noticed half-pin bush in DBG color at the HOG ... is this just shadow ...

42078_bmodel.jpg

What do you think ?

Shadow - you can see a similar effect in the LBG axle and pin crossblock on the lift above and to the right (compare pieces on the left and right sides)

I don't like the mix of system and technic to this extent. If system, then why don't go full system?
Lego is really passing my by...

See 1x5 liftarms in green and I think also 1x11...

But I really like the bulldog... I chrome it would be perfect.

What a beautiful set - must have :wink:

No powerfunctions inside, but I think this is an advantage: if there is no need for updates it would be boring. The 42030 came completely motorized - nothing left to do ... so I built it, played a little and since then it stayed in the shelf.  

And I do like this mix of system and technic. Seems like Lego had to right a wrong from the 42070 (which really looked unfinished somehow). 

I will order it as soon as possible :thumbup:

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

23 minutes ago, Pat-Ard said:

But I really like the bulldog... I chrome it would be perfect.

Gold Bulldogs indicate that the whole truck is made from Mack parts, whereas a silver (or chrome) bulldog indicates non-Mack parts (normally Volvo engines and gearboxes) have been used in building the truck.

Wow, I haven't seen any pictures so far, but this is a really nice shelf model.

The main color will be DBG, right? If so, there are a lot of parts in this color I haven't seen so so far. New panels and 3L axle connector with pin hole. This looks much better than 50 shades of blue in 2017.

The mixture of system and technic pieces give it a lot of details, I like it. For a shelf model. But DBG is a good color and even the technic details look good.

The technical functions looks pragmatic to me, nothing new. But it will have a good playability and performance.

Nice parts in new color, great looks and intuitive functions - cool set. True eye catcher after 2017.

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

I don't like the mix of system and technic to this extent. If system, then why don't go full system?
Lego is really passing my by...

Many on the 2018 set thread have made similar comments about the mix of Technic and System bricks.  Really, I don't think there are tons of system bricks, when looking at only the number.  They are just very strategically placed. It does appear somewhat like a Creator set, or something similar, but I think it is less about the amount of system bricks as much as it is about how and where they are placed.  Which... in my mind, is all about what building is about.  So.... for my money, I love the look and don't mind the mix of parts at all......

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Gold Bulldogs indicate that the whole truck is made from Mack parts, whereas a silver (or chrome) bulldog indicates non-Mack parts (normally Volvo engines and gearboxes) have been used in building the truck.

Wow, never knew that! You learn something new every day!

2 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Thanks for telling, very interesting.

56 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Do you think it is the same width as 42024?

Yup - 42024 was 13 studs wide for the cab, 15 at wheelbase. Same as this.

Finally another set with the 3 by 11 panel in green. Also I spotted some blue toggle joints at the back of the truck cabin. I reckon the logo/figurehead has an axle on the bottom. 

What an amazing set! I really like it. For pieces we get 2 LAs,  2 Mini LAs,  a lot 5x11 Panels and DBG panels and pieces and it's another set with curved 3x13 panels in black . Some may complain about only black,  grey color scheme,  but Wasn't it we really wanted after "color coding" on 42070? Anyway,  it guaranties a full use of every piece on MOCs. For example my inventory is based on 3 sets,  and I haven't used many pieces due its color (orange,bright green). About System pieces, as @nerdsforprez pointed,  the % is pretty small compared to technic pieces,  and they are only predominant on the front. Those pieces are refreshing,  otherwise we could have seen the same boring bend liftarms as fenders  To understand the felling,  just look the 42077. The designer used the same technique for fenders from 42039 :look:

The only bad thing that I see on this truck is the lack of gearbox for functions,  I mean,  it's about Lego Technic and a big set, right?  Hehe.... Would have been pretty awesome a gearbox on the trailer,  but I guess it's something we have to make...  It's Lego Technic after all,  right? :laugh:

Definitely will try to buy it 

Edited by Jonfensu

Like the big amount of technic panels in DBG colour! This will extend the building opportunities!

15 hours ago, Pat-Ard said:

See 1x5 liftarms in green and I think also 1x11...

Yes, this is first use so far...

I wonder why there are two CV joints under the container, I think they are for B model but I cannot see them anywhere

Was there any indication of price on this set so far? I was hoping that Lego wouldn't attempt another 42070 in terms of pricing.

1 hour ago, Ivan_M said:

I wonder why there are two CV joints under the container, I think they are for B model but I cannot see them anywhere

Probably just there to make assembly easier. The 42055 is a good example of this strategy.

EDIT:

A question: Could the wheels and tires of the 10258 London bus be an option to achieve double rear tires on the Anthem? They are smaller in width but also in diameter (43 mm versus 49.53 mm according to Brickset), I wonder if this would be too small for the Mack. Can anybody who own both types of tires  post a side by side comparison or maybe even a picture of a similar scaled truck (8052 or 42024 for example) with the 10258 tires?

Edited by Cumulonimbus

12 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Yup - 42024 was 13 studs wide for the cab, 15 at wheelbase. Same as this.

So that makes it smaller scale than 42043 Arocs then? I think 42043 is 17 cab 19 stud chassis IIRC.

The Arocs is significantly bigger, it rolls on 62,4-er tires, which also look a bit tiny for the truck. The Mack has 49,5-er tires.

@Cumulonimbus Just pooped into my mind (posted in"wrong" topic) too, I believe, they would look just bad. The tires are spot on, based on the actual LEGO tire palette.

1 hour ago, lee82gx said:

Was there any indication of price on this set so far? I was hoping that Lego wouldn't attempt another 42070 in terms of pricing.

~170 Euro.
I'm sure you'll be able to find it both cheaper and more expensive depending on where you look.
Here in Sweden you can always find sets at 15-20% cheaper than the by TLG recommended price, typically in webshops.