Recommended Posts

Just now, AVCampos said:

I don't like long beams for chassis much, as they twist and flex a lot if they don't have lots of bracing. It's a bit cumbersome to integrate with studless techniques, but a studded chassis is rock solid.

But it has 13 5 x 7 frames so this could help prevent chassis bending :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After realizing my complete lack of truck/crane operator knowledge I created a new video where the trailer is connected to the truck when I'm lifting the container - this time the trailer was much more stable. I also did another weight lifting test with a moderate load - container and the battery boxes were 600g together - and the cranes were able to deal with it, although it was pretty hard to turn the knobs. I also created a quick proof of concept RC mod with a Servo motor, L motor for drive and a rechargeable battery box (works with AAA as well). Could be IR controlled but I used an Sbrick so I was able to hide it. L motor direct drive is apparently to quick for the truck so it seems to be unrealistic, might be better geared down or with an XL (better towing capabilities as well). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any possibilities to easily motorize the trailer-functions as well (not necessarily RC)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this second video! Nicely done and informative!

Makes me eager to buy the set and motorize it as well, including the trailer. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RC conversion worked so easy, I am thinking the model was designed for it - then it is surprising that this isn't an official mod with instructions, etc. as per prior RC-optional models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

The RC conversion worked so easy, I am thinking the model was designed for it - then it is surprising that this isn't an official mod with instructions, etc. as per prior RC-optional models.

Usually if Lego offers a PF upgrade that's really "remove 2 parts and add the motor" style. Here I had to rearrange a lot of things, e.g remove the bunk bed completely, remove the 5x7 frame supporting the rear section, rearrange and move the steering mechanism, find a new way to get the drive from the motor to the fake engine etc. And it was only a proof of concept to see if the components can be shoveled in the box. To make it properly - e.g. whith an easily accessible battery box - I'll need to redesign the whole innen structure of the cabin's rear section including the steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful 2nd video.  Lifting 600 grams was a big surprise, even if it was hard to do.  Other models, even well-loved ones put out by TLG, like 42042 and 8288 could not lift this much without some modification. 

I think lifting 600 grams should appease most buyers......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I think lifting 600 grams should appease most buyers......

How much are you planning on your trailer being able to lift? 

I am not sure you are including yourself in "most buyers" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you mean here. 

In the video @kbalage lifted 600g.  That is what I was referring to. 

I do not think most people will be even attempting or surpassing that.  Most than that would seem excessive, given that other Lego models whose primary function is to lift stuff (8288, 42042, 42009) didn't lift that much without modifications or some difficulty .

 

Upshot:  I think the lifting capability on this this model is above average. 

 

In fact, even though @kbalage showed that the model can lift 600 grams not sure many will want to actually do that and drive the truck around.  Remember the weak connection pointed out by some of the trailer to the truck....I am sure this would bend even more with heavy load in the container......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, this model does seem to perform extremely well, is a pleasant mix of system and Technic, looks nice. can have PF added, not as easy as TLG PF upgrade options for other models, but it is still very possible, and the B model is also very nice. All in all, looks to be a great addition to the 2018 Technic line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a somewhat related note, where can I find/buy the Figurines Kbalage uses in his videos?

 

Update: Nevermind, I think I found some. 

Edited by u118224

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, kbalage said:

After realizing my complete lack of truck/crane operator knowledge I created a new video where the trailer is connected to the truck when I'm lifting the container - this time the trailer was much more stable. I also did another weight lifting test with a moderate load - container and the battery boxes were 600g together - and the cranes were able to deal with it, although it was pretty hard to turn the knobs. I also created a quick proof of concept RC mod with a Servo motor, L motor for drive and a rechargeable battery box (works with AAA as well). Could be IR controlled but I used an Sbrick so I was able to hide it. L motor direct drive is apparently to quick for the truck so it seems to be unrealistic, might be better geared down or with an XL (better towing capabilities as well). 

5

Awesome work!

Is there space in the trailer to automate the crane? Would be nice to see it :)

I am impressed with this set, 2600 bricks for a 1H set... It is almost the 42009!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@evortigosa There's definitely space in the trailer to put motors in it, although you'll need some rearrangement either of the axles or the support beams.
 

@BrickbyBrickTechnic I managed to buy the Mack and the Rally Car only. I'm planning to get the First responder as it looks interesting to make RC but it's not available yet around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mack is built and it is a very nice Set with many good parts

38317442355_a677ec54aa_c.jpg
Step 1 and surprisingly only one bag
39194261481_c93a9a9cce_c.jpg

finally....
25329195508_177ca52e7b_c.jpg

38318889365_81ce19d636_c.jpg

Step 2
38319205795_87d1807d38_c.jpg

39168140832_b2bef6d344_c.jpg
Nice, but short Bed

39170490432_b73feedd6a_c.jpg

a nice surprice to see no panels as seats
39170491302_e7e5051b64_c.jpg

Step 3 and the Doors simply one pin hinges. very wobbly
39170492092_294ae8dc64_c.jpg

39170492922_6fce0cdfe8_c.jpg


Step 4 and the Anthem is done
38323021135_277022e3d7_c.jpg

The silver parts and the Mack emblem are printed.
38323021635_176f83a23d_c.jpg

The sleeper looks not wide enough
38323022165_d418ae1c1c_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the extra pictures Efferman.  Does anyone know what "MP 8" on the engine block refers too?  I am thinking its obvious but I am somewhat dense sometimes.

 

Also, I am not liking the assemtrity of the three slope bricks just below the dog.  Shouldn't it be 2-1-2, rather than 2-2-1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, efferman said:

I think it is for better stability.

Yes, because of the intersecting plates there, it needs that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Yes, because of the intersecting plates there, it needs that way.

On the box picture, the one stud slope is in the middle ... I wonder what the instruction says ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

Thanks for the extra pictures Efferman.  Does anyone know what "MP 8" on the engine block refers too?  I am thinking its obvious but I am somewhat dense sometimes.

 

Also, I am not liking the assemtrity of the three slope bricks just below the dog.  Shouldn't it be 2-1-2, rather than 2-2-1?

If you check the box art it should be 2-1-2, I also built it that way. The panels underneath have 2 layers so despite the asymmetry there they support each other. The instruction also shows 2-1-2 layout.

PANA9778_EB_ret.jpg

Edited by kbalage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndroTech said:

On the box picture, the one stud slope is in the middle ... I wonder what the instruction says ...

That is odd, they usually do it 2-2-1 in those cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.