It's amazing the difference sorted parts/numbered bags makes to the build. I built the Saturn V in under 4 hours, while 42069 took a few evenings and for all it's colour coding I couldn't find the hook till there was almost no parts left! Numbered bags are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than colour coding parts.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

It's amazing the difference sorted parts/numbered bags makes to the build. I built the Saturn V in under 4 hours, while 42069 took a few evenings and for all it's colour coding I couldn't find the hook till there was almost no parts left! Numbered bags are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than colour coding parts.

Agree completely, but for my taste sets are to colorfull, so color coding is even more complex... But at least on Mack (unwanted) colors are hidden as much as possible 

On 10-3-2018 at 11:07 AM, allanp said:

I build my 42069 the past 2 evenings. I liked the end result, but really hated the build without numbered bags. Seriously, even just having the entire undercarriage labelled as "2" would have saved myself alot of annoyance on that build since that would pretty much half the amount of parts on my table. I too left the hook until I could find it later.

So, good to see numbered bags return in 2018 for a set like this.

Anyone know the purpose of the spare steering wheel above the seats in the A model?  I put it in as per the instructions, but I cannot see the point?  Or was this just using a part which is needed in the B model?

And I thought it was to represent a small satellite dish, for communication and location information, Foolish me.

Hi, guys. After getting this model and building it over the last couple evenings, I noticed that there were a couple problems.

- The steering system, while working just fine after connecting it and all that jazz, was experiencing issues with the finished model. When I try to steer left, some part of the linkage is getting caught on something, preventing me from turning it while it is driving on the ground (it is fine in the air) :sceptic:

- The crane arms on my trailer are having issues with the container. The lower, large actuators work just fine, but the upper ones can hardly lift the (empty!) container, and there is a lot of grinding noise when I operate the gears. I built the gears as usual, trying to create the least amount of friction possible, yet they still grind and move very reluctantly.

If anybody has any solutions, they would be welcome!

EDIT: I also noticed another thing: both problems occured after installing part 4558692 gear bracket

4558692 Does something about this part with the two 12T bevel gears cause a lot of friction?

Regards,

Magical Duck

Edited by Magical Duck

1 hour ago, Magical Duck said:

If anybody has any solutions, they would be welcome!

Could you make a movie showing these problems?

The steering issue is definitely a problem. Not sure what it is, but definitely don't have that on mine.

The trailer issue I'm not so sure - it is reasonably hard work for the mini LAs to lift the container, especially when the large LAs are at their lowest point as the U-joints are bending tightly then. Does it also happen when the large LAs are first fully extended before you move the mini LAs?

I've also experienced that steering problem; all I can suggest is you ensure that the wheels are snugly pushed onto the axles and that everything involved in steering is secure

@JonathanM, yes, even when the large ones are extended all the way, the mini LAs are struggling

@conceitedguy, both wheels were pushed in, but upon tearing the front end apart, I found that the rear steering rack was not assembled properly. :tongue:

Thank you!

My mini LAs are reasonably hard to operate (i.e. quite a lot of torque on them) but they are smooth - i.e. no gear grinding or weird sounds when operating. Are your universal joints aligned? i.e. the orientation on the axles should be the same, else it leads to uneven rotation, particularly when they're at large angle under load like these ones. I seem to recall the first crane (rear) in the instructions had the universal joints aligned correctly, but the second (front) had them incorrect in the instructions (it wouldn't normally make all that much difference, but in this case it could be it?) Only other thing is just making sure everything is as little friction as possible, but it seems you've already done that...

Too bad there won't ever be instructions (i think?); that would almost make me buy a third Mack just to have all three together on a shelf like in the video!

2 hours ago, Lucas11 said:

can you show use how to build the Blue container

By using blue pieces instead of white ones?