The Mack looks awesome. For me system parts make it look more realistic than it would with only technic pieces.

Look at the front of 8109 it has a few system bricks and thanks to them, for me at least, it is the best looking of all the medium sized technic truck sets.

Does it matter if they add piece count? No. Does it matter that these are not relly 'technic' bricks? No. 

@shimon great replica :thumbup:

A question for the Americans here:

If I understood correctly, in the USA, the type of truck chosen for a given trailer depends on the weight and load distribution of that combination. A truck like the Anthem is an example of  an "axle back" configuration, where the front axle is not right at the front of the truck. I don't understand the US regulations which leads to weird creations such as this, this or this, but it seems that heavy loads like a trailer carrying containers would be hauled by a truck with an "axle forward" configuration like this Mack Pinnacle:

nv479307_1.jpg.

Now the question is what type of trailer would be typical for a Mack Anthem to haul in real life?

2 hours ago, Qukie said:

The Mack looks awesome. For me system parts make it look more realistic than it would with only technic pieces.

Look at the front of 8109 it has a few system bricks and thanks to them, for me at least, it is the best looking of all the medium sized technic truck sets.

Does it matter if they add piece count? No. Does it matter that these are not relly 'technic' bricks? No. 

@shimon great replica :thumbup:

Totally agree ;)

10 hours ago, Qukie said:

Does it matter that these are not relly 'technic' bricks? No. 

I agree, the system parts improve this model immensely.

Hopefully getting this can help me build a DBG version of @Madoca 1977's Jeep Wrangler.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:08 AM, shimon said:

The functions work great, the outriggers mechanism is pretty clever, the usage of friction pins on the crane however, gives it a little squeecking sound.

Video please! This is a very nice replica. I would really appreciate a video :sweet:

@shimon That replica looks spot on ;) One question, how much does the drawbar flex under the weight of the trailer? From the released photos the one-stud thickness seems a bit thin

Edited by Bartybum

20 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

If I understood correctly, in the USA, the type of truck chosen for a given trailer depends on the weight and load distribution of that combination. A truck like the Anthem is an example of  an "axle back" configuration, where the front axle is not right at the front of the truck. I don't understand the US regulations which leads to weird creations such as this, this or this, but it seems that heavy loads like a trailer carrying containers would be hauled by a truck with an "axle forward" configuration like this Mack Pinnacle:

Now the question is what type of trailer would be typical for a Mack Anthem to haul in real life?

I found this article that I think explains it really well. Apparently, the so called Bridge Formula seems to be the root cause for all those wacky configurations you see. But the axle-back configuration is apparently preferable in states that allow it, mainly due to higher loading of the front axle and reduced turning radius.

Edited by Ludo Visser
Removed picture

1 hour ago, Ludo Visser said:

I found this article that I think explains it really well....

Thank you very much, that is a very interesting article. It seems that even the Americans themselves struggle with the various rules across states.

I found this website with a calculation tool to check compliance for a combination, it's rather fun to play around with:

AA_S1-D2-T2-AxleNum.png

The question remains which type of trailers are used on a Mack Anthem, maybe this is the ultimate load for the 42078:

348573.jpg?849

13 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Video please! This is a very nice replica. I would really appreciate a video :sweet:

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Bartybum said:

@shimon That replica looks spot on ;) One question, how much does the drawbar flex under the weight of the trailer? From the released photos the one-stud thickness seems a bit thin

Thanks.

Yes, it flexes a little

Maybe, who love the introduced Mack would like ti compare it with my old truck, they are very similar except my is fully RC.

On 20-11-2017 at 5:43 PM, JGW3000 said:

With regards to tire size - tires on US Trucks typically appear smaller than they should otherwise be, with the two front tires a bit smaller diameter and narrower.  The choice of 49.5 tires, in my opinion, is just right for the two rear axles of the sleeper cab and also for the trailer.  The front axle tire size should be something like 40 or so, but would have required a new mold.  Likewise, the two rear cab axles and the trailer axles should have dual tires, but again would have required a new mold for narrower 49.5 tires.   The trailer - I have not seen a US truck trailer like this - usually US trucks carry 72' to 80' long shipping crates - cranes are located at shipping and receiving points.  I guess TLG decided on this type of trailer to add some play features to the A-model and to provide parts for the B-model.  Provides plenty of opportunity to mod for a more realistic US highway 18 wheeler.

Just for my information, bit off topic maybe, but the shipping containers in the US are 72-80 feet?? Here in Europe they are 20-50 feet. I am currently building some City scale trucks, I don't have the parts to go on with my Technic project, so I build some small trucks to kill the time till I do. One is going to be a (longnose/cabover) truck with reefer. In Europe they are 13.6 meters long, how long are they in the US??

That was strictly a qualitative observation, probably need to do some research into this.  In retrospect, I've seen various length shipping containers, perhaps from less than 40 to at least 72 feet.  However, have not seen a trailer mounted crane for off loading in the US.

23 hours ago, Dafgek81 said:

Just for my information, bit off topic maybe, but the shipping containers in the US are 72-80 feet?? Here in Europe they are 20-50 feet.

As the good old metal box is an American invention and therefore they tend to come in standard lengths measured in feet, either 20, 30, 40 or 45 feet, 8 foot wide and either 8' 6" or 9' 6" tall, there are however lots of non-standard sizes details of which can be found here

A 72-80 ft container would be very difficult to transport by road.

Edited by LucyCol

4 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

That was strictly a qualitative observation, probably need to do some research into this.  In retrospect, I've seen various length shipping containers, perhaps from less than 40 to at least 72 feet.  However, have not seen a trailer mounted crane for off loading in the US.

By the way, some sideloarders are adjustable for a various container length, so I'm also expecting to see a MOD which has two more LAs (or just worms and racks) that moves the cranes (or just one of them) alongside the trailer frame.

When we speak / write about containers - did you notice that there are 16 white 5 x 11 panels? This set has indeed wide pallete of LEGO parts, not just Technic...

On 11/23/2017 at 3:41 AM, Cumulonimbus said:

nv479307_1.jpg.

Bit off topic, but the axle location should not matter. The axle forward means the truck would have an easier time with slopes, though, which might be important  for certain applications. Anthems are relatively new, but I've seen all kinds of trucks hauling containers.

US regulations can indeed make no sense, just look at Michigan trucks.

74f6091e6146aa13c0df3c31b534c8da.jpg

Back on topic, looking at Shimon's replica trailer, I think this set would have seriously benefited from being pneumatic or having a motor. Function looks a bit slow, and I've always found manual linear actuators kind of tedious. Should be easy to mod, though.

Also, the gooseneck looks just fine. Most container trailers look that thin.

somewhat counterintuitively it seems, you get maximum axle weights when the weight is over the axle. What the yanks are trying to do is chase their tail a little. If you want more load over the steer axle, you can move the load over it (like a cab over instead of a bonnet) or you can leave the construction the same, but lengthen the bed so the rear axles touch the ground further back. The latter works ok in a country with huge turning spaces and no overall length limits , or where you get rewarded for long distances between axles (the bridge formula). In other countries, total lengths are also limited, so short nose and cab over trucks get the forward axle load high (and therefore can have a higher proportion of the gross load limit set aside for freight rather than truck weight) without having to extend the length of the prime mover chassis.

I get the impression that the  yanks (and probably almost all of the europeans) are limited to towing just one trailer. In my part of the world, we don't give a crap about number of trailer, but there are total length limits. This gives rise to 3 and four trailer combinations that top out at 53.5metres in total length, which means that the shorter the truck, the more trailer length you can tow. This can lead to some funny combinations like 2AB Quads and ABB Quads if you want to google them.

The real answer to the question "what type of trailer what be typical for a Mack Anthem to haul in real life" would be anything that pays. Within that, the long chassis Anthem picture provided witha large sleeper is obviously intended for longer distance (or what the yanks would call interstate) work rather than being used for short haul day work.

I forgot to add a complicating point as well - the long haulers will often want a long wheelbase prime mover for comfort as well as needing chassis rail space for 4 or more fuel tanks. Many of these guys carry upwards of 1500litres. This can be important if you are not carrying your own trailers. For the more defined cargo routes, this isn't as critical for a cab over truck with shorter wheel base since they can put belly fuel tanks of a tonne or two into the lead trailer.

14 hours ago, bonox said:

I forgot to add a complicating point as well - the long haulers will often want a long wheelbase prime mover for comfort as well as needing chassis rail space for 4 or more fuel tanks. Many of these guys carry upwards of 1500litres. This can be important if you are not carrying your own trailers. For the more defined cargo routes, this isn't as critical for a cab over truck with shorter wheel base since they can put belly fuel tanks of a tonne or two into the lead trailer.

Wel, 1500 litres isn't that much, I drive a smaller size truck, a Daf CF with a space cab. My single tank is over 800 litres. I think you meant to say gallons, that would make more sense, if you put 4 tanks under your chassis.

3 hours ago, Dafgek81 said:

Wel, 1500 litres isn't that much, I drive a smaller size truck, a Daf CF with a space cab. My single tank is over 800 litres. I think you meant to say gallons, that would make more sense, if you put 4 tanks under your chassis.

Nope - i'm definately metric. There are many that carry 2600 litres on the prime mover over 4 square or 6 round tanks, but 2600L is still "upwards of 1500litres". 1500gallons is 5700L or 6750L, depending on US or imperial and the only way you'd get that capacity is if you're hauling the stuff as a tanker. The kind of single axle prime movers you guys use don't have the physical space for that kind of volume without stretching the chassis which defeats the purpose. Especially when you also stuff adblue and exhaust silencers in around the same spaces and have fuel stations every hundred meters or so ;)

Edited by bonox

If you are talking about fuel tanks - their capacity depends and varies from 450 t0 800 litres in average.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, bonox said:

somewhat counterintuitively it seems, you get maximum axle weights when the weight is over the axle. What the yanks are trying to do is chase their tail a little. If you want more load over the steer axle, you can move the load over it (like a cab over instead of a bonnet) or you can leave the construction the same, but lengthen the bed so the rear axles touch the ground further back. The latter works ok in a country with huge turning spaces and no overall length limits , or where you get rewarded for long distances between axles (the bridge formula). In other countries, total lengths are also limited, so short nose and cab over trucks get the forward axle load high (and therefore can have a higher proportion of the gross load limit set aside for freight rather than truck weight) without having to extend the length of the prime mover chassis.

I get the impression that the  yanks (and probably almost all of the europeans) are limited to towing just one trailer. In my part of the world, we don't give a crap about number of trailer, but there are total length limits. This gives rise to 3 and four trailer combinations that top out at 53.5metres in total length, which means that the shorter the truck, the more trailer length you can tow. This can lead to some funny combinations like 2AB Quads and ABB Quads if you want to google them.

The real answer to the question "what type of trailer what be typical for a Mack Anthem to haul in real life" would be anything that pays. Within that, the long chassis Anthem picture provided witha large sleeper is obviously intended for longer distance (or what the yanks would call interstate) work rather than being used for short haul day work.

I'm finding this discussion quite funny, ( and for the record I drove trucks in Canada and the states and Australia and currently do in NZ ) don't get me started on pivot points and rear overhang, axle set and other shite that seriously you will toss your cookies over.. but anyway using the mack anthem if you wanted more weight on the front axle you simply move the fith wheel forward the basic rule of thumb was every notch would move 500 lbs  ( the difference between a cab over and a long nose is bull!@#$ ) your axle groups are the same and so is your axle spacing the only difference would be the fifth wheel setting ... as for a cab over giving you more cargo length sorry the trailer rules, over hang and pivot point  come into play

Now that is IF you are using a fixed trailer axle group, in the US with the 53' reefers that you commonly see you can move the reefer axle group forward or back to change the kingpin weight bla bla bla .... like I said don't get me started... ( for the record my Australian road train carried 2000lites metric of fuel and I had on the lead trailer another 1000l belly tank.

the Scania tip truck I'm currently driving has a single 450liter tank and that's just a run around town truck ....

Oh I can't wait for this set to come out but Im sure someone will redo this set on 64tires....

1 hour ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Im sure someone will redo this set on 64tires....

I'm planning to build this model on Unimog tires scale.

1 hour ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Oh I can't wait for this set to come out but Im sure someone will redo this set on 64tires....

I'm a bit confused, but can you please explain 64 tires? Thank you.

Sorry for a bit off-topic