With regards to tire size - tires on US Trucks typically appear smaller than they should otherwise be, with the two front tires a bit smaller diameter and narrower.  The choice of 49.5 tires, in my opinion, is just right for the two rear axles of the sleeper cab and also for the trailer.  The front axle tire size should be something like 40 or so, but would have required a new mold.  Likewise, the two rear cab axles and the trailer axles should have dual tires, but again would have required a new mold for narrower 49.5 tires.   The trailer - I have not seen a US truck trailer like this - usually US trucks carry 72' to 80' long shipping crates - cranes are located at shipping and receiving points.  I guess TLG decided on this type of trailer to add some play features to the A-model and to provide parts for the B-model.  Provides plenty of opportunity to mod for a more realistic US highway 18 wheeler.

Looking at the  crane assembly  i am surprised by the  use of CV joints in the longitudinal transmission . ...they do not seems  to be used in the B model. Anyone  has an idea? On the right side of the B  model i ask  myself the  function  of the 20T gear. The lower one of the 2 presents on this side...

31 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

What's up with all the CV joints on the trailer? I dont understand their purpose.

I am going to say the builder needed them for the B-model and decided just to add them into the A-model even though they are not necessary. 

35 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

What's up with all the CV joints on the trailer? I dont understand their purpose.

Just now, steph77 said:

... i am surprised by the  use of CV joints in the longitudinal transmission . ...they do not seems  to be used in the B model. Anyone  has an idea? ...

As mentioned on the previous page, in my opinion, the CV joints help to make the assembly process easier. My guess is that the two crane modules are subassemblies which at some point during the build, will need to be connected and aligned to at least two axles on the trailer. The extra freedom of movement of the CV joint make this step easier and allow the modules to be rotated in place once the mechanical connection is made. This reduces the frustration of needing to break part of a build down to fix an axle which is not properly connected. The 42055 uses this trick as well.

13 minutes ago, Paknaloid said:

:laugh:

That's why I can't step forward with my actual task... :wink: Earned hit.

Finally after a long time I´m seeing a Technic set which is appealing to my taste immediately, let it be a truck or whatever :moar:. I like the sleek look with tiles / few system parts (which absolutely don´t bother me) and stickers, even if at the first glance all this makes it difficult to determine whether it´s Technic or not. IMO it looks very well designed and FINISHED, unlike the other flagships we have seen recently.  The nice B-model is much appreciated too. New DBG panels plus continuation of the 13x3 bowed panels in another set are just great!

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

With regards to tire size - tires on US Trucks typically appear smaller than they should otherwise be, with the two front tires a bit smaller diameter and narrower.  The choice of 49.5 tires, in my opinion, is just right for the two rear axles of the sleeper cab and also for the trailer.  The front axle tire size should be something like 40 or so, but would have required a new mold.  Likewise, the two rear cab axles and the trailer axles should have dual tires, but again would have required a new mold for narrower 49.5 tires.   The trailer - I have not seen a US truck trailer like this - usually US trucks carry 72' to 80' long shipping crates - cranes are located at shipping and receiving points.  I guess TLG decided on this type of trailer to add some play features to the A-model and to provide parts for the B-model.  Provides plenty of opportunity to mod for a more realistic US highway 18 wheeler.

the longest reefer ( that's what they are called in the states) is 53ft...

I can buy the set for the b-model alone. Finally, a proper Technic garbage truck from TLG. Both models are exceptionally well executed. And the color scheme is fantastic.

Have you noticed the tiny working piston engine under the hood? UPDATE: Sorry, it is already discussed in the "2018 Set Technic Discussion and Speculation"

mack_engine_2.png

Edited by proran
Update

I mentioned this after the images were posted, for me this is the kind of set I would like to build as a moc (certainly the trailer) but I absolutely love this set. The B model could be another set on its own. The lego team really worked hard on this one. The container could be longer but we can always have fun adding to it. Look forward to seeing the real thing.

H

1 hour ago, proran said:

mack_engine_2.png

I think it is appropriate that the designer of the set didn't integrate classic technic engine ... it would be simply too big ... 

Edited by AndroTech

These pictures show, who is also target with this Mack model ... I think it's commendable, that TLG made this kind of promotional step ...

l_lego-42078-technic-mac-truck-16.jpg

l_lego-42078-technic-mac-truck-11.png

l_lego-42078-technic-mac-truck-14.png

l_lego-42078-technic-mac-truck-13.png

l_lego-42078-technic-mac-truck-15.png

Looks so so good! And that container is just screaming out for some custom decals :)))

Do the headlights swivel in tandem with the steering?? Or is that just the angle of the photo?

My reverse engineered version of the 42078 trailer:

38506431486_0407c5a450_c.jpg20171121_164424 by legoferrari430, on Flickr

38506428866_ca5ee4bf27_c.jpg20171121_164435 by legoferrari430, on Flickr

38506425756_79579b767a_c.jpg20171121_164457 by legoferrari430, on Flickr

The functions work great, the outriggers mechanism is pretty clever, the usage of friction pins on the crane however, gives it a little squeecking sound.

Did not add some parts due to lack of them ( 11X3 panel in greed/red), winged panel.

Great design overall, might attempt the truck itself next.

Edited by shimon

Just saw your images on Facebook @shimon and came here to see if anyone shared them already :) Very well done, nice replica of the trailer!

I am still on the fence.  This is a very, very good looking model, however it appears that the only new function is the container crane and it doesn't appear to be as complex as many Technic functions. I will wait for the reviews to see the functions available.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

About System parts... Well, what is the problem?

If we think a little bit it is not a novelty, we will find out many Technic sets with System parts.

The hood of 8110 Unimog is built with System parts, the bucket lift arms of 42030 Volvo is System parts, the wheel covers of 42054 Claas... and so on.

My point is: it is Lego!

Going to be more expensive than the 42054 at a smaller size and no PF?....

I'm on the fence too, don't get me wrong after a whole barren year of 2017, this looks so freshly classic Technic.