Jarren

[MOC] Crash Bandicoot

26717259869_f107a54e0f_c.jpg

Crash Bandicoot has been a videogame icon for over two decades. The orange marsupial jumped, smashed, and spun his way onto the Playstation when I was a kid, and I have loved the character ever since. I remember spending hours playing through all three original games, as well as getting friends together to play Crash Bash and Crash Team Racing.

26717254829_67a65b4c18_n.jpg37777739954_b5155a44b8_n.jpg37777742644_997e4ddfc7_n.jpg

Crash features 27 points of articulation, including a swiveling waist, adjustable ears, and tweakable eyebrows. While Crash is very flexible, he is also quite sturdy. This is thanks to a carefuly selected choice of joint elemenents ranging from socket click hinges to large and small ball joints. The part count for Crash rings up at exactly 800 elements!

37777741524_83189c5c6f_z.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to check out my model! If you would like to see more photos, I have them up on my Flickr page.

If you would like to see this potentially become an official LEGO Set, please support my project on LEGO Ideas.

Ah man, I loved Crash Bandicoot! 

I was awful at the platform games, but loved to play on the multiplayer spinoffs. Excellent build there! The articulation is well realised (I often find it can look ugly in some builds) and the detailing is spot on! 

Very well done.

Woah!

But in all seriousness great moc. Really captures the look of Crash.

Quick question I noticed the ratchet joints on the legs don't allow them to go forward and back. Is that intentional? As I would think this moc should be able to so you could put him in running poses.

4 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Woah!

But in all seriousness great moc. Really captures the look of Crash.

Quick question I noticed the ratchet joints on the legs don't allow them to go forward and back. Is that intentional? As I would think this moc should be able to so you could put him in running poses.

Thanks!

Yeah, the ratchet joints do limit the leg motion unfortunately. It was a tough tradeoff between flexibility, stability, and overall look. The large ball joints can't support the model even though it offers the most flexibility. If I were to put the socket portion of the ratchets on the torso instead of on the legs, that would result in the legs being too close or too far apart, ruining the proportions of the model. What I really  need is LEGO to create this part with 3 studs instead of 2 between the sockets.

I might play around with this a bit more, as I agree, a running pose would look great. I just wanted to make sure I could nail down a stable model suitable to be potentially made into an official set first.

28 minutes ago, Jarren said:

Thanks!

Yeah, the ratchet joints do limit the leg motion unfortunately. It was a tough tradeoff between flexibility, stability, and overall look. The large ball joints can't support the model even though it offers the most flexibility. If I were to put the socket portion of the ratchets on the torso instead of on the legs, that would result in the legs being too close or too far apart, ruining the proportions of the model. What I really  need is LEGO to create this part with 3 studs instead of 2 between the sockets.

I might play around with this a bit more, as I agree, a running pose would look great. I just wanted to make sure I could nail down a stable model suitable to be potentially made into an official set first.

Scratch all of that. I figured out how to make that work! I’ll be updating my ideas project soon. Thanks for the nudge!