knotian

Simple powered turntable plans

I've seen several turntables but I have not found any with plans. Does anyone know of any? It only has to be small as all I will turn small engines.

Thanx,

Ed

I wouldn't know of any blueprints I could recommend, however I'd imagine it'd be fairly simple with a combination of assorted parts. Example: Battery box, m motor, technic turntable, assorted plates to make the turntable base, etc.

On an added note, putting in "Lego turntable" in a YouTube search yields plenty of results, and can give you some great ideas for making your own. :classic:

The most difficult thing is to align it. I have used a monorail track circle + monorail motor and that works well. 

5 hours ago, JopieK said:

The most difficult thing is to align it. I have used a monorail track circle + monorail motor and that works well. 

I saw a video of a design just like that on YouTube. Genius to say the least!

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I saw a video of a design just like that on YouTube. Genius to say the least!

Yup, it works very well... Full turntables in LEGO are always huge though. A traversal bridge or a segment turntable is more feasible for most layout I think.  

3 hours ago, baard said:

Hi

See my Flickr. Aim to get turntable to be not to high from baseplate. Ended up 2bricks + 1 plate high. PF controlled, gearing can be seen in my photostream

WIP train yard with turntable etc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115097068@N03/with/13356483985/

Good Luck!

Wow that looks amazing, also love the 08 style shunter on the turntable, I'm still in the process of building a 08 with full PF functions! Yours is 9V or RC? If using PF do you have photos of the positioning of the different elements?

A few years back someone came up with one of the simplest and low profile designs I've seen. I don't remember who came up with it, but you can find a variant of it on lego ideas here. It is essentially four road curve plates together with a very short platform and PF controlled wheels in the control shack on the turntable.

16 hours ago, JEB314 (James) said:

Wow that looks amazing, also love the 08 style shunter on the turntable, I'm still in the process of building a 08 with full PF functions! Yours is 9V or RC? If using PF do you have photos of the positioning of the different elements?

Class 08 shunter

This shunter is PF controlled, 1 L motor for propulsion (front axle), 1 M motor that lies under the battery for decoupling (retractable magnet in the back of the locomotive). Receiver in the hut as well as PF lights in front and back. Quite tight packing. On a flat track, the engine is able to pull 10 wagons, see below.

Class 08 shunterClass 08 shunter

(Brick underneath front of locomotive to show that front lights are on....). Sorry for the bad pictures

@baard That looks truly magnificent! Love the concept of uncoupling, great added feature and not one I thought would be very possible in the space available.

Would you ever think of making instructions? As I would buy them in a heartbeat!