Hi,

another Mini-MOC for you: here comes the Mini-Skidder :wink:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

This little thing is very powerful as it uses 2 L-Motors for drive and a third L-Motor for steering. Watch the video:

On my brick safe page you can find the pics in higher resolution and of course an LDD-File:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Leonard_Goldstein/woody_and_the_woodpicker/Woody-Woodpicker_V02.lxf

Let me know what you think :classic:

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Very nice! The functions are outstanding! I am very impressed with how compact it is.

The subtractor is very nice, the subtractor your design yours?

Andy D

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

This is awesome! So small, yet super functional! Also very strong. One of your best MOCs:thumbup:

50 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Very nice! The functions are outstanding! I am very impressed with how compact it is.

The subtractor is very nice, the subtractor your design yours?

Andy D

Many thanks! As you can see in the picture below there is almost no framework inside - the two L-Motors are the framework. And the subtractor (my own creation :classic:) is a little bit special:

• first there is no differential to split the power flux
  • instead of this there is a separate motor for each side (gives more power, too)
  • the differential of the steering is arranged in a special way: one bevel gear is connected to the steering motor
  • this means if you drive the housing of the differential the opposite bevel gear is running at a double speed
  • to compensate this the housing is driven by a 12T (=> 12:24 gives halve the speed).

As a result both tracks run at the same speed as the steering motor is off. There is only a little disadvantage: when steering the tracks of course run in opposite direction - but not at the same speed ... (does not really influence playability :wink:).

Regards 

Leonard Goldstein

800x494.jpg800x494.jpg

40 minutes ago, degenerate said:

Beautiful MOC and presentation!

Performance looks very good, packs a good punch in a compact and elegant package :classic:

Thanks, I did my best :sweet:

It was quite tricky to build some bodywork around all this powerfunctions (there are more PFs inside than in the 42030 ...)

And there was another problem: the two driving motors have to run in opposite direction. But they have to be connected to the same channel (as there are only 4 channels). This means a switch (8869) is needed. This switch is soooo big and there was absolutely no space left. The solution was easy: make the switch part of the interior and now it is some kind of a central console.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

An impressively compact and yet highly functional MOC, with excellent performance. Very well done! How did you manage to hide all the cabling?

2 hours ago, Jody Meyer said:

This is such a great build. Nice little video as well :thumbup:

Just now, ColletArrow said:

An impressively compact and yet highly functional MOC, with excellent performance. Very well done! How did you manage to hide all the cabling?

Thanks again :sweet:

The cable routing was indeed challenging. On the first try I wanted to place the sbrick between the seats inside the cabin. This did not work at all - the whole cabin was filled up with cables. But at the backside there was some space left between the two M-motors (see the picture above). I put the sbrick upside down between these motors and with a little pressure all the cables could find place. They are gushing a little - what you can see on the last pic of my first post. This is a familiar problem: my Highflyer of  [TC12] was even worse ...

The woodpicker is great fun to play with. Very powerful and the steering works great. In comparison to the 42065 I think it would win the race. The only thing I do not like so much is the handling via touchpad. The feedback of a hardware device is missing. Please Lego: there are so many cool solutions (sbrick, buwizz) out there. Why not developing an OEM-solution to update this IR from last millennium?

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Dear Goldstein,

ONE question, I used CADA 4 channel battery try to re-build this model, but I found it is need 5 control channel

TWO drive channel must separate and must reverse, otherwise this model can not work run...

Does  SB have more channel?

Edited by superdog

sbricks have 4 control channels, but you can configure an interface to control multiple sbricks at the same time.

4 hours ago, superdog said:

Dear Goldstein,

ONE question, I used CADA 4 channel battery try to re-build this model, but I found it is need 5 control channel

TWO drive channel must separate and must reverse, otherwise this model can not work run...

Does  SB have more channel?

Hi @superdog,

you're right: there are 5 motors. But you can use one channel for both driving motors if you use a switch (8869) to reverse one of it ;-)

You can see the switch on the first pic of this topic in the middle of the cabin.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein