Sign in to follow this  
Big T

Which would you buy - The Caribbean Clipper or Red Beard Runner?

Choose laddies  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these ships would you BUY?

• Caribbean Clipper
    • Red Beard Runner

banner-poll2.gif

Which would you buy - The Caribbean Clipper or Red Beard Runner?

Ok, I've been interested in LEGO Pirates for a long time now, but in Australia (as I'm sure some of you can relate) finding them these days are a pain, especially at a good price. Well at this stage there are two on ebay I'm sizing up, but can only really afford to buy one of them. So basically it's a choice between the Carribean Clipper, and the Red Beard Runner. I'm leaning towards the Clipper, but I'm basing this off pics, and those who own them may be able to help me decide. Which is the better one, and preferably say why so I have something to go by.

Thank you for your help guys

Vote now and tell us why decided!

I'm not a big fan of the Caribbean Clipper and I have two of those built, sitting on my shelf. I have a Red Beard Runner still in the box so I can't compare them side by side. But if I were to purchase either of them I'd go for the Red Beard Runner...

Other factors you might consider are whether the sets are complete and what condition the pieces are in. Also, do you care about whether the box or instructions are included? These can significantly add to final price.

It looks a little to me like you're looking for any kind of ship; in this case, I wouldn't recommend the CC as it can be very expensive, as it is a collectors item and also quite rare, as Imperial Soldier collectors snap these up. These can reach nearly

Edited by SlyOwl

I'd go with the Red Beard Runner, personally...in fact, I did myself.

The Red Beard Runner was my second pirate ship, and I loved it so much that I bought another one on eBay a couple years ago ($70, MISB!!!!). It's one of the few ships that you can still find for the original retail price (at least in the US, not sure about Australia).

Thanks for the comment guys, seems like you all think the Red Beard Runner is the better choice. If it stays within my price range I reckon I'll finally pick up my first ship.

I highly recommend the Caribbean Clipper(CC) , for its classic collectible figs, great ship design, excellent figurehead, shooting cannons, and overall beauty *wub*

The redbeard runner is flimsy, <insert that tiresome argument> with lots of collapsing crap and the sails are too high making it look wierd. All that plus the annoying skull on the sail make that set a very bad choice for a first ship :-X

Thats just my opinion though ;-)

P

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend but the redbeard runner has more pieces so if you wanted to modify, it would be the better option.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend but the redbeard runner has more pieces so if you wanted to modify, it would be the better option.

sorry i meant the Caribbean Cliper. I wasn't thinking about what I was writing. 8-|

Since we haven't had a poll topic lately I've turned this thread into a poll.

So for those who have posted, you can also cast a vote as well!

Oh you're quite welcome Legocastlegirl!

My Red Beard Runner arrived today so I'm in the process of building it.

The runner has more play focus. I don't think its as sturdy a ship as the clipper. Though I have to admit I'm very biased in favor of the clipper for sentimental reasons. I do think the clipper would be better, if it had another small sail on the back.

The runner has some nice parts, which can only be had in that set though.

Steve

i don't think that's a fair poll. you need caribbean clipper for different reasons from a RBR. i would compare RBR with a BSB and SES as they are all pirate ships of similar size and caliber. in that comparison, i think BSB trumps all. the color scheme and design is better than the other two.

i would compare caribbean clipper with imperial flagship. and in that match, i would say IF over CC. I like the sleeker design and it just seems more visually stunning than the CC.

if you need to strictly compare RBR with CC, then... RBR is better for play value. it is a bigger ship with more features than the CC. as for a nice display model, i think CC has better color coordination. from afar, RBR looks like a mish-mash of colors. also, nothing beats men in uniforms. :-P

I'd definetly go with the clipper, blue figs, old school windows, brown hull instead of red...should i go on? :-D

More or less agreed, and Imperials are so much cooler than rag-tag pirates! :-P Also I do not like the RBR sail's, they look rather odd with a big Skull and Cross bones on them.

i don't think that's a fair poll. you need caribbean clipper for different reasons from a RBR. i would compare RBR with a BSB and SES as they are all pirate ships of similar size and caliber. in that comparison, i think BSB trumps all. the color scheme and design is better than the other two.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you here :-$ The RBR is a maverick ship; it's the only one with 2 hull sections and 3 cannons *wacko* In this instance, Big T asked which he should buy, given that they're a similar price. Also, the SES pwns the BSB! By a bit. X-D

I wonder if Big T's choice for comparison is that he has found them for sale at similar prices.

That would explain the apparent discrepancy.

Steve

Actually the reason I had listed them was because they were the ONLY ships I could find for sale in Australia at the time, but as it turned out I had to use my funds for the life outside of Lego (always the case) and as such my dreams of owning a lego ship will have to wait a little. If you want to lock it, feel free, but it may still get some discussion out.

Thanks for Phes for making it a poll to, and for everybody who were willing to help out me out. Admittedly I would prefer finding the Imperial Flagship or one of the other 'big two' in the BSB and SES, but they tend to be quite a price in Aus, or missing a lot pieces. I shall keep my eyes open though

Edited by Big T

If you want to lock it, feel free...

I think not, this has been frontpaged on Classic Pirates! *y*

Admittedly I would prefer finding the Imperial Flagship or one of the other 'big two' in the BSB and SES, but they tend to be quite a price in Aus, or missing a lot pieces. I shall keep my eyes open though

Get 'em cheap with missing pieces, then build like crazy! X-D

I think not, this has been frontpaged on Classic Pirates! *y*
You're a champion!
Actually the reason I had listed them was because they were the ONLY ships I could find for sale in Australia at the time

I won a Red Beard Runner lately - could it have been the one you were watching?

If you want to lock it, feel free, but it may still get some discussion out. Thanks for Phes for making it a poll to, and for everybody who were willing to help out me out.

We needed a monthly poll and this topic seemed worthy. The discussion has been GREAT but it seems the voting department has been a bit quiet. Though it's better to have discussion than just poll votes so no complaints from me!

Vote in the poll everyone!!!

You'll have to be diligent and you can find good deals. I agree with the suggestion to buy incomplete sets. You can usually replace the missing parts from your spare-parts collection or, if not, bricklink. You'll probably still save money.

I'm declining to vote, as I'm torn between the two.

Steve

P.S. 1800th post!

You're a champion!

I won a Red Beard Runner lately - could it have been the one you were watching?

We needed a monthly poll and this topic seemed worthy. The discussion has been GREAT but it seems the voting department has been a bit quiet. Though it's better to have discussion than just poll votes so no complaints from me!

Vote in the poll everyone!!!

I reckon it was the one I was watching. Did it come with a couple of extra pirate minifigs? If so I'm happy to hear even though my money had to go elsewhere, it went to a good home!

I hate scouring ebay for lego pirate stuff, because half the stuff that comes up isn't lego. Especially those cheap Black Seas Barracuda wannabe ships...

Although not buying one then may have paid off, because there are two Barracuda's on the Aussie ebay at the moment! Better check my wallet!

And sweet! A poll made by little ol me getting on the front page?

Edited by Big T

I'd say the Carribean Clipper. Sure, Read Beard Runner LOOKS absolutely badass, and has more "play" features, and more figures, buuuut...

The Clipper looks more "professional". Also, it comes with those hard as heck to get ahold of Bluecoats, which make for good British Navy figures. Also, it looks to be more sturdy as well. Sets with gimmicks are fun, but they can fall apart. I had many a hunt looking for booby trap parts with my old Adventurers sets.