Sign in to follow this  
Aventador2004

Compact Pneumatic Excavator + My own sketch

Hi all pneumatic lovers!

I got a kit of pneumatics a while ago, but haven't fully used them. Today is the day I show where they are headed. 

This is built to teach other people about excavators and pneumatics.

• Pneumatic pump (exhaust pipe)
  • Pneumatic arm lift (2x11)
  • Pneumatic dipper & curl (1x11)
  • Cabin 
  • Access to hoses
  • Tracks
  • Spinning turntable (infinite rotation)

Hope you like it as much as i do, and here is a hand drawn sketch I Made specifically for it. before you ask, yes i reprinted it. Who doesn't want the original.

IMG_3440.JPG

And now the model:

IMG_3423.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

Panel removed:

IMG_3431.JPG

Reach capability:

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3439.JPG

Love it or hate it, i would enjoy to here what you think! 

Just now, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Not a bad model a all. Like the simplicity of it. And most important.... IT'S NOT YELLOW!!! :iamded_lol: Nice work. :thumbup:

Thank you, is red a good thing? Because it is a great color, vibrant and fun.

Just now, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nearly every Lego excavator has been yellow. Ever. This is a pleasant change. :wink:

Good, that is what I hoped :thumbup:.

Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

Nice! The bucket design remind me of my first Technic set 8047. I like, the color scheme and how well the panels flow together!

Thanks, that puts a smile on my face!

Just now, Oliver 79 said:

Nice little excavator you made. It looks very clean and well thought out. 

Well done! :thumbup: 

Thanks again! A few comments already. Thank you all!

I told you before and I'll say it again, your MOCs are getting better and better. We need to get you more parts so you can build a little bit bigger! 

Keep up the good work!! 

6 minutes ago, aminnich said:

I told you before and I'll say it again, your MOCs are getting better and better. We need to get you more parts so you can build a little bit bigger! 

Keep up the good work!! 

Just now, IA creations said:

Love it! Your builds are keep on getting better ;) 

I do remember you saying that, and these comments help me feel like improvements are happening.

I feel like a actual member now, with nice comments and nice builds... :sweet:

I love how clean the bodywork is, and how neatly all the pneumatics are integrated. Far neater than some LEGO sets even! Overall a great model. Perhaps you could try to add a seat and some controls in the cab?

44 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Very nice! I like it! The boom is a bit on the crude side but aesthetics are not too hurt by this.

working on that, it was easy to make then, but it needs to be black instead I think.

37 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

I love how clean the bodywork is, and how neatly all the pneumatics are integrated. Far neater than some LEGO sets even! Overall a great model. Perhaps you could try to add a seat and some controls in the cab?

Thanks, I can sure add a seat easily.

I have not cut any hoses from the 42043 kit, so that is why they are perfect size.

Great work, and it looks good, but somehow I feel there's something missing... But still, I would agree that you are getting better.

8 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nearly every Lego excavator has been yellow. Ever.

That's actually not true, as out of the 10 excavators made, only half of them are Yellow:

Spoiler

Yellow:

8419-1.jpg?2004110911478043-1.jpg?2010070401488047-1.jpg?20091228022942006-1.jpg?20121018070342053-1.jpg?201606181248

All other colors:

8851-1.jpg8837-1.jpg8294-1.jpg42023-1.jpg?20131121033842060-1.jpg?201611101158

21 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Great work, and it looks good, but somehow I feel there's something missing... But still, I would agree that you are getting better.

Hide contents

Is it the fact there are no gaurdrails? The bucket size?

57 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Is it the fact there are no gaurdrails? The bucket size?

I'm not really sure, but it isn't either of those... Maybe it's that the arm is two colors, or maybe the base structure needs more work... Or maybe both...

Edit: Looking at the pictures of the set's I posted (which might be good for you to study), I think I've found three things:

• There is no bend in the first section of the arm (before the elbow joint).
  • The first section of the arm isn't thick enough relative to the second section.
  • The cross bracing on the base structure (the DBG 11L beams) is too close to the ends of the tracks. 
Edited by mocbuild101

nice! I'm a fan of pneumatics and glad you used them for this, it reminds me of the 8851 but a modern smaller scale version. 

I also love how you scetched it first (even though it came out a little different) I'm sketching a lot of mechanical ideas too (mostly at work so I kind of get some LEGO design stuff in at work) thought i may have been the only person these days to sketch stuff :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I feel like a actual member now, with nice comments and nice builds... :sweet:

that's a good thing. but also a bad thing reflectively.

Edited by MangaNOID

Nice model, but You are missing one cylinder in You model according to drawing :wink:

In 42043 there was one. Or was it too hard to implement in this scale?

It looks a bit like retro 8851 set except one more pneumatic cylinder :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

Could have been a set. A great pneumatic introductory set. I think the only thing preventing it from being a set is the small pump. Lego wouldn't do it that way. But I guess it makes a lot of sense on a model of this size.

Personally I would add a knob at the top of the body for rotation, as a third function. That would improve the playability I think. Also, on the boom, I would add two axles 3 and two light gray 1x2x0.5 beams to fill up the small gap behind the 1x5x0.5 beams.

But as a whole I think it's a very nice model at a good scale. The colors also work very well. Well done :)

8 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I'm not really sure, but it isn't either of those... Maybe it's that the arm is two colors, or maybe the base structure needs more work... Or maybe both...

Edit: Looking at the pictures of the set's I posted (which might be good for you to study), I think I've found three things:

• There is no bend in the first section of the arm (before the elbow joint).
  • The first section of the arm isn't thick enough relative to the second section.
  • The cross bracing on the base structure (the DBG 11L beams) is too close to the ends of the tracks. 

The arm has been redone, but it needs to be braced on the underside?

What do you mean by bend in the first section?

8 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

nice! I'm a fan of pneumatics and glad you used them for this, it reminds me of the 8851 but a modern smaller scale version. 

I also love how you scetched it first (even though it came out a little different) I'm sketching a lot of mechanical ideas too (mostly at work so I kind of get some LEGO design stuff in at work) thought i may have been the only person these days to sketch stuff :thumbup:

that's a good thing. but also a bad thing reflectively.

Thank you for the compliment! I always sketch stuff, but not all gets posted or used.

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Nice model, but You are missing one cylinder in You model according to drawing :wink:

In 42043 there was one. Or was it too hard to implement in this scale?

I did not have a second smaller cylinder, and I did not want to use 3 switches yet. I am considering the third cylinder be added, but it might get to complex.

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

It looks a bit like retro 8851 set except one more pneumatic cylinder :wink:

Yes, I did not have the longer cylinder available.

4 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Could have been a set. A great pneumatic introductory set. I think the only thing preventing it from being a set is the small pump. Lego wouldn't do it that way. But I guess it makes a lot of sense on a model of this size.

Personally I would add a knob at the top of the body for rotation, as a third function. That would improve the playability I think. Also, on the boom, I would add two axles 3 and two light gray 1x2x0.5 beams to fill up the small gap behind the 1x5x0.5 beams.

But as a whole I think it's a very nice model at a good scale. The colors also work very well. Well done :)

Wow, that was definitely what I was aiming for, but I always find something to be redone. I don't want my head in the clouds yet, but I want to work for lego eventually, and these builds can help alot.

Btw, I have only the small pump, so it needed to be used.

What a great little model you made! :) I really like, how it's clean and simple(in the best meaning of that word), and also how you reduce pneumatic cylinders for minimum needed count. Very well done :thumbup:

16 minutes ago, muffinbrick said:

What a great little model you made! :) I really like, how it's clean and simple(in the best meaning of that word), and also how you reduce pneumatic cylinders for minimum needed count. Very well done :thumbup:

So many nice comments! Thank you everyone!