rm8

Toyota HILUX 84'. LEGO Technic 40th Anniversary run (1977-2017)

Hello, and welcome back to Toyota Technic showroom.

I did this model for a long time, almost 3 years of sketches, prototypes, different version. And now I am ready to stop and say: "enough":classic:

After FJ series with a bulky chassis and wobbly steering I want something lighter and more accurate at steering. So I started with a new chassis with Servo motor mounted on front axle. This is not realistic, but steering backlash is almost zero. Remembering the FJ, and its "high" frame with aux M motors inside (winch), i decided to remove any extra fucntions except driving. Hilux's chassis is thin and light comparing to FJ. And one more important thing is that the body is removable now. I can remove one body and use another one. I do not need personal chassis with all that expensive motors for every modification of Hilux (at one of the moments I have 7x FJ's assembled with full electrics at each). 

This is Toyota Hilux 4 door double cab version, 4-th generation that was produced from 1983 to 1988. Model of this Gen was presented both with solid front axle and independent front suspension. My is early version (83-85) with solid axle. You can see this genertaion Hilux at Top Gear "Kill a Toyota" episode, and Back to the Future movie with single cab and extra cab version.

INSTRUCTUON AVAILABLE

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29256/RM8 LEGO Garage - BrickGarage/toyota-hilux-double-cab-n50-1983-1988/

XzM07vi5ZKA.jpgrr-ki_zsaqs.jpg
heZCwH1xbo0.jpgi045661.jpgi?id=0b5e55c6abdc57313811a5b780d70ffb&n=

- control: Smart Brick (Sbrick)
- drive: XL motor, 4x4 transmission with axle differentials
- steering: Servo motor
- solid axles
- front suspension 4 link triangulated
- rear suspension 3 link
- openable doors, bonnet, tailgate
- 5-seater saloon
- LED front lights
- removable pickup bed and cab
- wheels: 62-68 mm

weight:1020 gr (without power source and RC receiver)

rUVtJiE_bqQ.jpgwu-SlPS7HAk.jpg

Black wheels are painted with spray-paint.

WhyGTAFK_EY.jpg

Saloon is for 5, but rear bench is foldable, and this is the only place to hide battery block.

CUKXOVYkG5E.jpgFaSAXr1upog.jpg

Transmission is all-time 4x4 with axle differentials

- front suspension 4 link triangulated
- rear suspension 3 link (including pan-hard rod)

fEolrePERPQ.jpg0uUzK7lzmI4.jpg

- openable doors, bonnet, tailgate

3IMZUTOuAeA.jpgo7SI7FYAZgs.jpg

Removable pickup bed and cab, I can also remove front bumper, doors and front fenders for larger wheels, for example.

949ogz283DQ.jpgXmqtf7xhCic.jpg

And the last, the best presentation for 4x4 Toyota is real adventure. Video was filmed mostly at Crimea, while my Vacation this year. This is kind of LEGO Techic anniversary run:classic:

YruLZGGJ-eo.jpggqvkpDU73S8.jpg

-GnRikAvZ6k.jpgNCbYRvszAnY.jpg

y5CkIvNzJVA.jpgtt860MAPA0Q.jpg

YGxyb-dSeG8.jpgAstpB7dfOeU.jpg

vhuwyOMIy38.jpgSUIyW6Sg1c8.jpg

INSTRUCTION

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29256/RM8 LEGO Garage - BrickGarage/toyota-hilux-double-cab-n50-1983-1988/

much more fotos here FLICKR

Thanks for watching. Comments, questions, I am ready)

I think you are definitely one of the best lego crawler builders! Love the hilux!

Btw, do you work for toyota?

i have always been an avid toyota fan, and this is no letdown for sure! glad to see you returning to the toyota models!

as a owner of a 1994 Hilux ( last of the solid beam front ends ) this is a neat model, I enjoy your builds. ( I have built your fj40 and fj45 as close to what I think you did.)800x600.jpg

Edited by brickless_kiwi
photo..

Great MOC with great and long video, we have to create a subforum for elavorated movies, I feel that a regular MOC with great video, it is not this case, will be better than an incredible MOC without it.

This is awesome, I love your attention to detail! It's instantly recognizable as a Toyota Hilux, not to mention your photo shoot is above and beyond :wub: incredible!! 

Fantastic Toyota (as usual), hat off for your commitment, the result reflects every spent hour. It was a pleasure to watch the video too, great journey! :thumbup:

Is it just me, or... is the driver Belville figure... Madoca? :grin:

Spoiler

FaSAXr1upog.jpg

Xmqtf7xhCic.jpg

Edited by agrof

On 14.11.2017 at 4:23 PM, Aventador2004 said:

I think you are definitely one of the best lego crawler builders! Love the hilux!

Btw, do you work for toyota?

Thank you, Actaully this is not a crawler:classic: But for its size and weight it's very good off-road toy. I am infected by yota-virus:laugh:

On 14.11.2017 at 4:25 PM, Technonsense said:

WOW!!

Nice design and functions!

On 14.11.2017 at 5:19 PM, AFOLegofan66 said:

Great build and fantastic photo's...always liked this truck!!

On 14.11.2017 at 5:43 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Awesome build.. Make the top gear hilux next!

On 14.11.2017 at 10:16 PM, Isak said:

i have always been an avid toyota fan, and this is no letdown for sure! glad to see you returning to the toyota models!

On 14.11.2017 at 10:21 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Great performance from this truck! Love the simplicity of the design, it has what it needs, nothing more, and it works really well! :thumbup:

20 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

This is awesome, I love your attention to detail! It's instantly recognizable as a Toyota Hilux, not to mention your photo shoot is above and beyond :wub: incredible!! 

22 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Great MOC with great and long video, we have to create a subforum for elavorated movies, I feel that a regular MOC with great video, it is not this case, will be better than an incredible MOC without it.

Thank you

23 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

as a owner of a 1994 Hilux ( last of the solid beam front ends ) this is a neat model, I enjoy your builds. ( I have built your fj40 and fj45 as close to what I think you did.)

Thank you. You have a nice airport tow truck. Is it legal to have own aircrat in you country?:thumbup:

12 hours ago, agrof said:

Fantastic Toyota (as usual), hat off for your commitment, the result reflects every spent hour. It was a pleasure to watch the video too, great journey! :thumbup:

Is it just me, or... is the driver Belville figure... Madoca? :grin:

Reveal hidden contents

FaSAXr1upog.jpg

Xmqtf7xhCic.jpg

Yes, that's he. Model is approved by Madoka.

Edited by rm8

On 11/14/2017 at 6:23 AM, Aventador2004 said:

I think you are definitely one of the best lego crawler builders!

I will double that. Every creation from you is so neat. And the performance is always incredible.

As per this particular MOC, I can see why It had taken three years. The chassis is unbelievably compact and clean. It's amazing, that something so compact can behave that well off-road. And the video presentation is perfect as always. Real joy to watch.

Thank you for sharing. This is a great inspiration. 

This is really great. I liked it so much I built it in LDD as practice. Hope you don't mind!

37800423054_722bfc2ca8_o.png

Let me know if you'd like the LDD file - it's grouped so should be easy to build from. Thanks to your great video + photos, the only bits I am unsure about was the 4x2 black L beams under the seats which don't seem to be connected to anything other than the seats.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I’d l8ke very much to build this excellent MOC. Any chance for instructions ? Or anyone has any ?

thanks in advance.

Hello, small update. Instruction will be available very soon.

I joined this site after you posted the original post so this is the first time I've seen this. A very cool model with some nice lines and features and seems to cope with offroad really well.
Only question, can it cope with being driving into a tree, driven down some steps, driven through a caravan, parked in the River Severn, be set on fire and be placed on top a skyscraper that gets blown up? I ain't a Toyota Hilux if not :tongue::iamded_lol:.
Joking aside, you did a great job with this. Nice work :grin:

Edited by MxWinters

3 hours ago, MxWinters said:

I joined this site after you posted the original post so this is the first time I've seen this. A very cool model with some nice lines and features and seems to cope with offroad really well.
Only question, can it cope with being driving into a tree, driven down some steps, driven through a caravan, parked in the River Severn, be set on fire and be placed on top a skyscraper that gets blown up? I ain't a Toyota Hilux if not :tongue::iamded_lol:.
Joking aside, you did a great job with this. Nice work :grin:

No brother, that was single cab hilux - other story? than mine. But I have plans for another hilux, unkillable

Finally I am on rebrickable! RC 4x4 Toyota Hilux with removable body and on the chassis that was tested for years before release. You can check partlist and compare with you inventory. If it will work good, next instructions will be there soon. I am planning to release extras to this model: Front power bumper and expedtiton bed. Then, may be X-tra cab verison or even single (top-gear). 4Runner? Why not!? Thank you for your support, appreciate that:)
I am open for your feedback.

1000x800.jpg?1569247466.691838

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29256/RM8 LEGO Garage - BrickGarage/toyota-hilux-double-cab-n50-1983-1988/#buy_parts

Here is one more LEGO Technic 1984 TOYOTA 4RUNNER. Thank you for such an awesome model!

LEGO Technic 1984 TOYOTA 4RUNNER (Original Design by RM8)

LEGO Technic 1984 TOYOTA 4RUNNER (Original Design by RM8)LEGO Technic 1984 TOYOTA 4RUNNER (Original Design by RM8)LEGO Technic 1984 TOYOTA 4RUNNER (Original Design by RM8)