Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[MOC] Mobile suit "OXON III"

Hi guys!

Back in March, I came to this subforum to share my first sci-fi creation (this one). Finishing that one sparked a range of ideas for other builds in the mobile suit (a.k.a. mech) genre. Today I'm sharing my second mobile suit MOC: "OXON III". 

Overview & Specifications

38211643756_62a5dafd1b_z.jpg

26490315949_b5185e39bb_z.jpg

OXON III is an assault-type mobile suit, designed for military interventions and special operations. Model III is loaded with sophisticated features, including:

• Anti-radar stealth armour 
  • Projectile trajectory tracking system (PTTS)
  • Booster-assisted super-maneuverability 
  • NervLink cockpit
  • 2 wrist cannons
  • 2 retractable turrets 
  • 4 hidden plasma cannons

Functionality

26407950259_cd88824f93_z.jpg

Target acquired. Shoulder mounted PTTS activated. Plasma cannon hatches deployed.  

37474074044_f3cb57f334_z.jpg

Firing plasma cannons. Deploy and firing turrets.

Warning: Failure detected. Location: Left turret. Functionality report: 50%. Condition report: Steady. Cause: Unknown. 

24373817198_dd2c3d81d3_z.jpg

Ejecting pilot.

Articulation & Posability

37503976454_c856f4a8e9_z.jpg

38234764762_724d46002a_z.jpg

38266576261_4eceaf6955_z.jpg

38159107466_0bfa12130d_z.jpg

Size comparison

38245618941_7778f72ec4_z.jpg

Builder's notes

I had three main goals in mind for OXON. First of all, it needed to be larger than Handyman (pictured above, left). Secondly, it would have improved articulation and body proportions. Thirdly, I wanted it to have hidden weapons. For the colour scheme, I settled on black, accents of white and (printed) silver decorations. To underline the military, stealthy purpose of the mech, I chose to stick to angular shapes as much as possible. 

There were a couple of challenges with this build. I started with the thighs, which have an internal bend to allow the legs to come further inward than the standard 90 degree angle (ratcheted joint) with the hips. Then, getting the plasma cannons into the shoulders was harder than I expected. However, the most difficult part came at the end, when I discovered that the ankles needed additional friction to support the weight in various positions. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out the ankle stabilizers, but to be honest I'm really proud of how they work and look.

Conclusion

Overall, I think I have made great steps with OXON. I achieved the goals that I had in mind and I am more than satisfied with the result. It makes me already look forward to my next mech build!  

As always, C&C appreciated! :wink:

Great mech! Love the positioning you can do with it, you should make a second and have a fight! :laugh: Personally, I think the wrist-mounted weapon is too bulky, perhaps a shield would work? Or maybe have it carrying a rifle of some sort. Or a machine gun.... I am way too into this, aren't I? And if you are happy with it, who should complain? :wink:

On 15-11-2017 at 4:46 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Great mech! Love the positioning you can do with it, you should make a second and have a fight! :laugh: Personally, I think the wrist-mounted weapon is too bulky, perhaps a shield would work? Or maybe have it carrying a rifle of some sort. Or a machine gun.... I am way too into this, aren't I? And if you are happy with it, who should complain? :wink:

I'd sure like to make a second! I certainly want to go for the same scale again, and this one will be kept together at least till that happens. So there will be a fight. :grin:

No, no; I'm really thankful for your suggestions, very valuable info! :sweet::thumbup: Of the whole mech, that part is the easiest to take off and replace, so I will be looking into that (sometime). 

21 hours ago, Vincent Q said:

Lovely build!

Thank you!

14 hours ago, vedosololego said:

Awesome mech! Very poseable and with a Blacktron II color scheme.. The firing picture is fantastic!

Thanks! It was fun to play around with those plasma beams :wink: