Elostirion

The Cocovia Wagonway: Wooden Bridge

38380385601_134595dae1_b.jpg

"I am really not too certain this will work", said Jake Forks, an experienced Corrish craftsman.
"Oh I did the calculations, and it will. See the timber over there, holding the horizontal weight?", insisted Luca do Figino.
"Sure, not it holds... yet still... how would it carry an ox or a horse, let alone a waggon filled with iron?", Jake asked further.
"It will. See how the wood is attached down there at the rocks? It does not shake at all, not in the slightest. We did some great work down there. Now if we distribute
the weight of the other planks properly, balance it further."
, Luca replied.
"Maybe in your country that will work...", mumbled Jake and turned away. He had never liked the idea that a young Terraversan would lead the construction for their
small group near the village of Poi Poi. He had to admit though, that the construction of the rails had worked out flawlessly so far, even in difficult terrain. But constructing
that bridge was the hard part. At least the natives had not disrupted them yet. But those two fisherman who had their hut closely just seemed to make fun of the workers
all day. No, Jake really was in no good mood. "But as you wish, young Lord."
"I am no lord", Luca replied. "And now let us get back to work. See over there? Fresh supply of wood is coming. The day is still young." And Luca do Figino from
Terraversa smiled, as if Jake had just made a nice compliment.

37666193734_e00ffd3774_z.jpg
An ox wagon bringing fresh wooden supplies and looking at what will be the wooden bridge some day.

37666202484_2bd51892d0_z.jpg
The wooden bridge during its construction. The local fishermen really do seem to enjoy their sight of the
workers struggles.

37666209584_a240ccecf8_z.jpg
On the other side of the bridge nature is still untouched. That beautiful wild cocoa plant will most certainly
have to make way for the rails, though.

####################################################################################

Thanks @Brickwolf for the great minichallenge!

I tried to stick to the island style as suggested previously by mainly @Puvel and @Ayrlego.

The wooden bridge is based on an original design by Villard d'Honnecourt.

And finally the full layout visible in one shot:

38380373411_7f05b790b1.jpg

Edited by Elostirion

Loving that cutaway terrain, Elos, and the wooden bridge in the works looks very good as well! :thumbup:  Those fishermen are a great addition too! :laugh: 

On 13.11.2017 at 12:54 PM, Jody Meyer said:

This is a great looking build, love the ground cross section:thumbup:

Thanks!

On 13.11.2017 at 3:26 PM, Garmadon said:

Loving that cutaway terrain, Elos, and the wooden bridge in the works looks very good as well! :thumbup:  Those fishermen are a great addition too! :laugh: 

Always add some fun. Originally I was thinking about some workers on a boat in the river, but the casual fishermen just happened.

On 13.11.2017 at 4:01 PM, Maxim I said:

So much to like! Great job Elos!

Thanks, glad you like it!

On 13.11.2017 at 4:17 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Superb build! Tell those engineers to hurry up and build that bridge, I want to see more of it :wub:

Hmm, that might actually be an idea. The MOC is not yet dismantled, so I might finish the bridge...

On 13.11.2017 at 8:15 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

A daring bridge construction - well done!

Thanks, I am most certain it will hold for hundreds of years... well maybe not.

Another Beauty here Elos! As mentioned by others the cutaway looks really good, but to me the stand out is the attention to detail in the landscape and vegetation. I spy a cocoa tree, and the combo of green, dark green and lime is executed masterfully here. As for the bridge itself, the construction scene is amazing. A truly awesome component here for the Royal Wagonway collaboration! Thank you!

Wow!  That cross-section view is a great part of this MOC.  The under-construction bridge trusses are my fav though.  Great job.

Great build Elostirion! It's a nice idea to build a scene representing a bridge crossing a stream, I especially like how you've built the underlying rocks and the superficial deposit, the bridge under construction is nice too.:thumbup:

I love the concept of the "under construction" scene, and you've executed it wonderfully. Nice job on the rockwork and the cutaway aspect of the terrain. And it somehow is quite colorful. Well done! :thumbup:

I am late in replying, but this is a great build with a lot of nice features. The construction concept is a good way to portray this build and you definitely found a great balance of built but not finished. The river is well done especially that you started and continued it beyond the wagonway section. The landscape crosscut with the top soil, soil and clay portrayed is a great feature. I like the way you did the wagon, and the little shack is also well done. I am fond of the usage of different kinds of trees and they are going to be used for inspiration of a build I have on my desk right now. The story is great as well though I don't know about portraying a Corrington Engineer as behind the times. :pir-laugh:

Excellent build! Lovely colours, especially like the layers from the grass to the rocks underneath.

Sturdy looking bridge as well, great job