coaster

Type E Coupler for LEGO Trains

Figuring that the modern Lego magnets are $2-$3 per pair, the old "choke yourself" ones probably > $5 a pair, and Kadee about $5 a pair the target price seems viable. Even though I am too invested in magnets to switch I could see building specific train sets with the new coupler system (e.g., a unit train or a new passenger train).

I would be interested in this for sure. 

I think that there are too many purists to have wide adoption but for all of us north american modelers, these would be awesome and I could sell my magnets to fund the purchase of these haha.

I'm definitely interested if this goes ahead, something I've been on the look out for in one form or another for a while now!

Best of luck with the design!

Just for an idea of what I'd purchase, I'd be looking at c.10-12 packs of 2 couplers, so if you did some kind of multi/bulk pack I'd probably get that to start with! Would the idea be for a kickstarter? Because I'd pledge at least $50 to help get this to a reality!

I'd be interested in any coupler system that allowed remote uncoupling so realistic yard activities were possible. I doubt I'd want to change my whole fleet over but perhaps all my engines and freight; 20-30 pairs. If they were in the ballpark of the current prices for LEGO couplers that would be fine. BTW I model German trains so if they fit the old buffers as a replacement for the magnet that would suit me best.

I agree with peterab. Have several hundred of cars, so change of the whole fleet is impossible due to costs, but two or three dozens would be perfect for railyard-playing.

So (remote controlled/automated) decoupling- function is the part that makes this interesting for me.

About quantities: I, of course, would like to order bigger quantities at once. But due to customs in europe, it might be better to stay below excepted value. Maybe a bulk-offer should consider this?

Just a hint: I once ordered from 4D-Brix, and that was very comfortable since they run a european BL-Shop also. So from an european AFOL´s point of view, a Shop in europe or some kind of joint-venture would be very welcome... allready the same with your tracks....

On ‎14‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 6:49 PM, McWaffel said:

When I was running the new trains in the office today I noticed how the new couplers have studs on the top and bottom. So could you not just clip a 1x2 plate there and you'd be done? No more issues with long trains decoupling.

Works like a charm for long trains, and especially nice at shows where kids tend to want to put their hand on the train:angry:

For coupling-uncoupling at a yard this does not work.

I find that for most of my needs, the Lego magnets function well. I would try these if they are produced. Thanks for sharing Coaster!

@zephyr1934, here is the video as promised:   26797003709_e3b0916f99_z.jpgKadee Coupler "Bump Test" by Sal Ciofani, on Flickr.  I think it qualifies as bumpy enough, haha.  As you can see, the Kadee couplers don't have too much problem with elevation changes, as long as it is not too severe.  @coaster, it looks like your coupler design is slightly bigger vertically than the Kadee couplers, I think this will make yours more forgiving of uneven track.  

One issue with your design might be, the opposing coupler might trip the uncoupling lever of the coupler it is hooked to on very bumpy track.   As far as centering issues, I had a thought, if you use a friction technic pin design, that would make it so the coupler would not swivel too freely, there may not need to be any centering spring.  I would be interested to test your prototypes when you have some ready, if you would like.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Figuring that the modern Lego magnets are $2-$3 per pair, the old "choke yourself" ones probably > $5 a pair, and Kadee about $5 a pair the target price seems viable. Even though I am too invested in magnets to switch I could see building specific train sets with the new coupler system (e.g., a unit train or a new passenger train).

I have run LEGO magnets and Kadee couplers in the same train.  since both mount to 3176 I simply swap out 3176's with whichever coupler I need already attached. 

Sal

If you add a second pin (or hole) behind the first one, you could attach one of these: 32017.gif

This would enable those who want to attach the couplers to bogies to do so, which would center them automatically. For those who body mount their couplers, you could simply just mount the coupler to the body using one of the pins/holes so that it swivels, and then use rubber bands looped around the free pin and attached to connection points on either side underneath the train car if you want it centered.

Edit: I'm also a fan of the friction pin and/or magnets. Whatever works.

Edited by Aaron

@coaster I really hope you go ahead, I have been looking at Kadee O-scale so I could remotely couple/uncouple and run a a railyard, but if you're serious then I'll be pleased to buy dozens.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, coaster said:

I'll see what I can do about adding a small magnet into the base.  A small ceramic bar magnet inserted transversely where, say, North is to knuckle and South to the receiving end would be sufficient to auto-align the parts.  Just need to figure out how the heck to place it.  I'll fiddle with it a bit, and then maybe print a few to test it out.

You could use a simple spring for self-centering alignment, which would work fine on straight tracks, but might prove problematic on curves.   It's an alternative to the magnet method, at least.

I'm happy with magnets, do not have very long trains to run at this point in time (rather, while I have a lot of rolling stock, I don't make big layouts, so haven't stress tested magnet couplers).  However, Coaster, if these ever come to fruition at a not unreasonable price (that's always the trick, isn't it?) I will be a happy purchaser of many of these, perhaps even retrofitting all my current stock.

I love what you're doing for the LEGO train hobby - I wish TLG cared more about it, but I guess we're just a fringe element to them.

10 hours ago, icemorons said:

You could use a simple spring for self-centering alignment, which would work fine on straight tracks, but might prove problematic on curves.   It's an alternative to the magnet method, at least.

Yeah, I've given up on the magnet idea and have been looking at a small wireform spring.

9 hours ago, fred67 said:

I'm happy with magnets, do not have very long trains to run at this point in time (rather, while I have a lot of rolling stock, I don't make big layouts, so haven't stress tested magnet couplers).  However, Coaster, if these ever come to fruition at a not unreasonable price (that's always the trick, isn't it?) I will be a happy purchaser of many of these, perhaps even retrofitting all my current stock.

I love what you're doing for the LEGO train hobby - I wish TLG cared more about it, but I guess we're just a fringe element to them.

Thanks Fred!  We are a bit fringe, aren't we? 

Would it really need to be self centering though? In real life most full size train couplers need a little nudge to center them. Sure self centering is something we are used to in Lego and the scale modeling world, but its not really needed for it to work. I'd say more important is ensuring that it decouples easily, like it magnetically decouples or if you put a bamboo stick in through the coupler and wiggle it about it will come apart (the bamboo stick is what I do with my HO trains, works great!)

Self-centring is necessary if the coupler is to work properly. Even the couplers on real trains self-centre, not to mention having structures in the coupler heads themselves to align the heads during coupling. If they didn’t have these things it simply wouldn’t be possible to reliably couple trains together. And real trains don’t have to contend with LEGO-like curves so the couplers don’t require the same degree of movement as LEGO trains.

I think if you only couple and uncouple on straight tracks and there is enough friction between the coupler and draft box that a uncoupled coupler won't move off center from vibrations, you could probably get away without centering springs on a model coupler.  On the other hand, self-centering can avoid prototype labour costs of having to hire a minifig to manually center it.  :classic:

I'll figure out a way to get it to self-center.  I'm sure an elegant solution will present itself if I keep hitting my head hard enough against the table.

Maybe putting friction ridges on the pin part like the black Technic pin will keep it from flopping around and stay in position but still able to pivot in a curve.

Would extending the length of your coupler mounting pin down a bit and sticking a soft springy material in between the grooves of the pin work for self-centering?

couplerspring.jpg

I'm all for this solution!  I've used the Kadee 806 couplers installed like legoboy3998 and while they work well in operation, installation and alignment becomes a project in itself.  

I run switching layouts and prefer manual decoupling to remote decoupling.  It better simulates the work the brakeman would have to do while working a yard.  My other use case is for long heavy freight trains at shows that require no buildup or breakdown of the consist.  Just as long as I can poke it somehow with a 12 inch bamboo skewer to get it to release, I'd be good to go.  

Auto-centering isn't that big of an issue for the show use case (I can manually align couplers as I'm setting up the train) and I could probably live without it for normal switching operations if it meant getting a lower cost product now, rather than a perfect solution later.

Any chance I could buy some beta versions of this coupler without the autocentering?  I can provide some testing feedback and video.

Speaking of long trains, these would be great because unlike the magnets there's some play in a knuckle coupler instead of the cars being rigidly coupled. This would allow the locomotive to overcome the static friction of the cars one at a time, theoretically allowing it to start a longer train.  

Hey there @coaster,

I am a first-time poster here on the Eurobricks forums. I am a huge fan of LEGO and American trains so I tend to design American trains for my own purposes. I am slowly growing dissatisfied with the good ol'  magnet couplers from LEGO and so I was looking through the internet for custom couplers and I found this page. I have a question for you, will we be able to buy these couplers when they are done? If so, I would buy a 100 pieces of these to replace the magnets on my only running train and future trains I will build.

Keep the great work up! I would find it very unfortunate if this great looking project would be abandoned.

Gregory U.

6 hours ago, Worldwide_build said:

Hey there @coaster,

I am a first-time poster here on the Eurobricks forums. I am a huge fan of LEGO and American trains so I tend to design American trains for my own purposes. I am slowly growing dissatisfied with the good ol'  magnet couplers from LEGO and so I was looking through the internet for custom couplers and I found this page. I have a question for you, will we be able to buy these couplers when they are done? If so, I would buy a 100 pieces of these to replace the magnets on my only running train and future trains I will build.

Keep the great work up! I would find it very unfortunate if this great looking project would be abandoned.

Gregory U.

Hi Gregory, welcome to EB!  This project is still active, but it's one of several I have in the works at the moment, and there's only so much time in a day.  Definitely not being abandoned!