Hello Eurobricks AFOLs, I am Engine and this is my first post here on EB forum. My friend HorcikDesigns told me, some of you here want to know more about my last MOC. My pleassure!

Original Vehicle:

As some of you noticed, my MOC should be scale model of Ghe-o Rescue. It is a Romanian rescue vehicle designed for extreme terrain, with a capacity of up to 11 people. Dimensions are: 5.2 m length; 2.7 m width (even wider version exists); 2.4 m higth (without rooftop carrier). The weight is 3.2 tons. Under the bonnet, more engine types can be monted, with the most powerful one with 500 hp. Live axles are used for suspension, both equipted by lockable differentials. There are also built-in water tanks for 620 liters for fire extinguishing. Another specialty is the possibility to mount tracks to rear wheels or pneumatic "pillows" on wheels for floating on water.

Tires are also special. It is Arctictrans 1300x700-24 (diameter 1300 mm and width 700 mm). The manufacturer shows off an independent test in which they won over Avtoros and Trecol manufacturers. Here you can see several cars built on them. And because the tire diameter and width exactly match the 1:16 scale to the LEGO "Tumbler" tires Ø81.6x44, the scale of the model was decided.

So far I do not know any other LEGO cration of Ghe-o Rescue.

MOC:

The MOC was designed for Kostky.org Trophy Competition, organized by our technic race event guru Peter. And the task was to build a drivable, remote-controlled, off-road vehicle that would be able to travel about 3 km. And at the same time, it should be as beautiful as possible and with design matches to original vehicles. Terrible task.

The dimensions of the model are: 332 x 168 x 168 mm (41.5 x 21 x 21 studs), weight 1.2 kg. The drive is permanently 4x4 without differentials. Axles are not sprung. But thanks to the torsionally soft frame of the vehicle, decent axle crossing is achieved (some LEGO trial experience here). Inside, there is a functional winch with a length of 2.5 m. Good lighting is a necessity for the expedition special.

The control is provided by sBrick. The propulsion is made by 1 x PF XL motor with a total gear ratio of 1: 1. Schizophrenic steering is provided by the PF Servo. The winch is driven by a PF M motor via a worm gear (8: 1 ratio). Five pairs of PF lights really shine in front of the car. Electrical source is a battery box with 6 AA batteries.

The whole MOC is pure LEGO exept of: sBrick receiver, high strength thread as winch rope, threaded cardans and event mandatory stickers.

Drive ability:

Drivig speed corresponds to a pleasant walk. Off-road capabilities were adequate to the track. Tire traction did not limit offroad capabilities, but a small power of e-motor did. Then the winch becomes useful, that is able to lift the entire weight of the vehicle. And if it was still not enough, the other "competitors" were there to help. A minor issue was the steering. Thanks to the loose in steering mechanism and occasional insensivity in the mobile app, sometimes I sent it out of the way.

A major issue was energy consumption. Within 1.5 km, I drained out three sets of batteries (2x alkaline GP Ultra Plus, 1x rechargeable GP 2700). And yet I do not know how to solve it. But most likely it is caused by PF Servo motor, as we disscussed after the event with other partipiciants.

-----

Thank you for comments and questions.

Pictures are here in my gallery.

Original post on Kostky.org.

gheo_1.JPG

Looks pretty similar to original, also looks well built. 

What about those small gears, doesn't they slip?

Welcome here!

Thanks for the detailed description, I think the MOC looks very good - I really like the schematic doors, it would be nice to have some chassis shot too. Maybe a V2 version in the near future... ?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree, full doors would look better. But those doors are the best compromise between original shape and lightness I was able to design. I really tried to build it as light as possible to achieve decent offroad capability with low battery consumption.

The drivetrain worked well without any issue. I was also scared of 12t bevels on axles. But they really work well without even one tooth skip. I think tanks to the lightness.

So far I do not have any chassis photo. But the vehicle is still assembled, so I can make some.

Edited by Engine

This is awesome.... welcome to the community. As the first poster of wanting someone to replicate the Ghe-o R, nearly 3 years ago, I think it is great that the community followed through.   For what it is worth, I love your build..... and don't mind the connectors used in the doors as all. Thanks for the further details.... it was a good read.