Sign in to follow this  
kennywest

[MOD] Technic 40th anniversary model ... with diff

So I decided to build the Technic 40th anniversary model, out of nostalgic reasons.

800x533.jpg

The problem is, as clearly stated in some of the reviews, there's a differential missing. As a result, the car doesn't steer nicely, so I decided to modify it and add a differential. Below are some pictures that show my modifications.

Not sure if anyone else already did this, if so, feel free to merge this topic.

800x533.jpg

It's actually not that difficult. Just disassemble part of the drive-train, use CV-joints instead of the universal joints.

800x533.jpg

The gearbox on top also needs some modifications, so you have to add the above 5L liftarm and move the tan gear more to the front.

800x533.jpg

I was planning on making an LDD file for this, so other people can build this.

Edited by kennywest

Looks good! The Anniversary Chassis is one of my favorites for 2017.

I noticed that you had to use 9L beams in the rear, instead of the 7L beams in the model. I'not sure I can see where you used the 5L lift arms on top. Is the overall model longer now?

Looking forward to the LDD so I can see your solution, maybe I need to revisit the Chassis to put some of the mods You and @Seasider did.

Andy D

The model is the same size. You can see the 5L liftarm I mentioned below:

mod-001.PNG

The 20 teeth tan gear needs to be moved to the front, otherwise you will lockup the gearbox, due to there's another 20 teeth gear to power the differential.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

sorry for off topic, but can someone review this model please?

Do you really need a review of 'this'?

I still need to stiffen the chassis on mine, too much flex at the joint (or lack of) between the Dash and Grey Nose and also the front of the engine to the gearbox.

It's currently sitting in front of me on my desk at work, I'll perhaps take it home one nice and plan the final mods. Once I'm happy I'll create an LDD ... possibly