oracid

Variable geometry tank climber

In this video, I show that it is possible to make a reasonable sized tank for a private house which is able to climb stairs.
To climb stairs, a tank sole must be about 62cm length. With such a sole, the tank reaches about 85cm total length.
The variable geometry makes it possible to make a 55cm tank length, which by unfolding, reaches the 62cm necessary to the rise.

Ingenious and effective! I like how you are able to communicate your message without speaking in your videos.

Nicely done! How it keeps the track tension? Is the track exactly the same length when folded and unfolded?

That is a job done. Nice tank. Two question: Does the EV3 control the fold/unfold function or you use the Remote Control? How do you power 6 motors with one EV3?

Thank you for your comments

- yes I use the EV3 remote control to drive the tank but the geometry modification is automatic, I use the EV3 Gyro sensor, testing angle of the tank.
- the size of the track is not the same on the both perimeters. That why I realy modify the perimeter lenght with an actuator. You can't see this in the video. I will make pictures soon of that, but from a new version which is stronger and too heavy and unfortunately does not work.

Interesting thing.

First I thought, that there is some neighbour outside window, thena I realised that it is You in mirror :)

Here are some pictures of the new version. You can see how the actuator modify  the length of the track.
In this new version, I have used the @efferman Gear rack beam, https://www.shapeways.com/product/4QE5P2AC9/gear-rack-beam-4l?optionId=41744256&li=user-profile , thanks to him.
Unfortunately, this new version does not work, it is much more rigid but much too heavy.

493783IMG3700s.jpg463608IMG3702s.jpg

Edited by oracid

3 hours ago, Isak said:

this is ingenious! make a double sided one? :laugh:

Thank you.

Yes ! I though about it, but Lego servo are too big and not much powered.
My goal, making that kind of tank, is to make something little. Maybe with non-Lego servos.