I'm going to build a mech from technic. My problem is that mostly i've been building CCBS joints on these mechs which are sturdy enough to take some weight.. But now i'm thinking about making a bigger mech so the legs will need to hold more weight to them.
I'm going with the chicken style legs which means that the knee joint is backwards. How can i make it sturdy enough? The bottom torso will have a big turntable and the legs will be attached by the smaller 3x3 turntables. How do i add friction to the turntables? 
Also what parts should i make the knee joints from? 

I'm thinking about ordering these: 
ca66cb72be4f8b20345a79167fa86bbf.jpg

Can these joints hold weight if i put two of them per knee? 
The mech will be about 20-30 cm tall. 

These parts have a very high friction. They click through different angles and it takes some force to do that. It most likely will hold the weight of your chicken, but if you want to motorize the legs you will need a very strong mechanism to do so.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered 5 pieces. 

Here's a teaser of the mech so far:

Fb5RYrql.jpg

The 3x3 turntables have two gears each with one 1 long stud axle and one 2 long stud axle to add friction. These turntables take a medium amount of force to turn them. 
If the clicky joints have equal amount of friction, it'll be plenty enough. 

If You want to build a static model, than I recommend to use 2 pcs of that hinge parts for each joint, just like Lego did for some of the new Ninjago mechs. This will result much sturdier construction.

Lego-70656-garmadon-Garmadon-GARMADON-ni

or like this:

53d2f143169fe2def366fedf96311efe--lego-m

Another nice option would be, if You use linear actuators, so You can set the leg angles by adjusting them. A bit more boring if it is meant to play, but better if it is meant for display poses.

Edited by agrof

It's designed to be a poseable statue. I should have ordered more of these clicky joints. Hehe. 
I'll be making this mech completely out of technic parts. 

Thanks for sharing your estimation for the height.. but an estimate for weight would be more helpful.  Is it a bulky, or not so bulky model?  I built such a mech, using the exact pieces you speak of, two per joint, early from my return to the hobby.

1435319813m_SPLASH.jpg

It was about as large as that you estimate yours to be (30 cm) and two per joint was more then enough..... and mine was very bulky.... if you cut down the weight a little you could probably get away away with only one per leg.

Although mine did not have the legs as any certain angle..... I can tell you from experience that they are very rigid. The downside is that even with a motor, or LAs to power them, not sure you would get them to move with any fluidity.  Even if you come up with a mechanism to move them, such a great force when they finally give way would shake the model to its destruction.  I could pose and model my build, bend legs etc., but only with great effort.  Often with one or several pieces falling off in the process.  And as you can see, although it was a very bulky build..... for the most part it was very study as well....

Edited by nerdsforprez

Now that the hip is ready, it's more clear to start perceive the shape and scale. I haven't completely locked down with the chicken style legs yet. 
I'm either taking the inspiration from the mech warrior locust or the mech warrior spider. 

Locust:
MechWarrior+Online+(Concept+Art)+-+Locus

Spider_Intro.jpg

I won't make an exact model of either of these. I'll just look at the pictures and get inspiration if i get stuck. 
But what i have already decided is:
The hip actuators will only have one direction of moment so the legs can't spread apart sideways. This is something that compliments the chicken style leg shape. 
But then again, if i make the upper torso very nose heavy, there is a chance that it'll fall down because the hip actuators are not clicky jointed. 
So either make a chicken mech that's harder to balance or a spider style jumping mech. 

At this point, both of these styles are what i'm liking so it's a 50/50 on my part. 

As for the knee joints, i'll put the two joints one stud length away from each other and put two of these in the middle:
$_35.JPG

Here is another project I found similar to the one you are proposing.  Using (2) of the very parts you will be using, and although not for leg configuration in a MOC, the angle and purpose of the build is similar.

stand 1.1

But also was thinking, just because you have a few Technic parts you are using perhaps doesn't make this the best place to post your question.  Perhaps your thread might be better served in like the Sci-Fi theme or something similar.  You might get more responses. 

Oh okay. Maybe i should make a thread there instead. But for mechanical help for functions, i'll just add stuff in this thread if needed.

Another thought was.... looking at the quick sketch provided by @agrof that would mean that two of the parts you initially provided would not be needed.   You could get away with one, easily....b/c the actuator would provide the strength needed for the joint (by closing a triangular shape).  However, thinking about what would be needed for the ankles would be a new challenge, as that would be your new area for potential weakness.  Also, using a large LA would really increase the size of your purported build, but larger than 20-30 cm; you might want to think about how a small LA might work, if at all. 

Technic beams are challenging as a choice because they are very flexible.  I suggest something like the image below as it is much stronger than single beams.  It will still be weak along the length of the blue pins but at least you should be able to support the weight of the model.

38364710146_5983514c4a_o_d.png

UPDATE:

vnbMHLG.jpg

GYxC7Ry.jpg

CjG2v2G.jpg

The lower torso needs a little bit of work and the legs need a redesign.. The top half of the torso is coming along nicely. A very jaegermech style vibe to it. 
I'm kinda running low on white parts so i'll need to improvise. 

Follow this build in this thread. 

It looks so cool! would you mind giving me the ldd file for the technic hip? I have been trying to make a strong hip for a long time now.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:46 PM, L3g0_Fanat1c said:

It looks so cool! would you mind giving me the ldd file for the technic hip? I have been trying to make a strong hip for a long time now.

Sorry, no LDD. Was like 3 years ago. I might return and actually give it a better shot some day in the future

On 10/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, Ragana9289 said:

Is it made from a set of 51515 ?

Nope just random parts ordered in bulk. 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Sorry, no LDD. Was like 3 years ago. I might return and actually give it a better shot some day in the future

Oh, man! I have been wanting to make a big mech that has strong joints.

29 minutes ago, L3g0_Fanat1c said:

Oh, man! I have been wanting to make a big mech that has strong joints.

If you're like me and you don't want to use shortcuts like ball joint parts. Remember to use friction axle pins and gears. The 3 long dark gray friction axle pin works wonders. I used double gears for the hip joints so the mech wouldn't fall over. 
The structure inside was very simple but strong. 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:51 PM, Mechbuilds said:

If you're like me and you don't want to use shortcuts like ball joint parts. Remember to use friction axle pins and gears. The 3 long dark gray friction axle pin works wonders. I used double gears for the hip joints so the mech wouldn't fall over. 
The structure inside was very simple but strong. 

Ok, i dont use a let of ball joints, unless there absolutely needed, I also have a problem with most of my mech knees, they are very weak, and i dont have those fancy cklicky things, :(

Those fancy clicky things are pretty much worth their weight in gold in builds like this.. You should probably order some trough brickowl.com.. Unless you want to get fancy using worm gears or linear actuators.. 
Are you making a mech model or a functional one? Please make a build thread here if it's going to be technic based! I would be happy to help you with some LDD sketches! 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, Mechbuilds said:

Those fancy clicky things are pretty much worth their weight in gold in builds like this.. You should probably order some trough brickowl.com.. Unless you want to get fancy using worm gears or linear actuators.. 
Are you making a mech model or a functional one? Please make a build thread here if it's going to be technic based! I would be happy to help you with some LDD sketches! 

Sorry it took so log to post. Yeah it would be very awesome of you to help me with this, since i dont have a lit of plates and bricks it would be best to make the main frame out of technic. I am not very experienced with lego technic joints. This will not be made to be functional, but sort of for posing. I will try to make my own thread ;)

On 10/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, Mechbuilds said:

Here is the link to my thread: 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Nope just random parts ordered in bulk. 

How do you make legs like those? i am trying to make thickish legs but i find that hard with technic