Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

On a deserted island

Day 3, Landfall

After two days at sea with no sight of land, this morning a formation of clouds betrayed a large landmass to the south. Baker immediately set what little sail we had and with oars in hand beached us before noon. I have not been able to identify the island, and with no expertise and no navigational implements, neither the stars, the sun, nor the moon offers any consolation.

Curiously enough, both young Baker and myself have failed to recall any clues as to how we ended up on the raft, but we are well supplied with a chest of basic tools and provisions enough to last us some while, even if we should be unable to find a suitable source of nutrition. None of us has any recollection of what happened after we landed on Tortuga to meet with Captain Benjamin Morgan.

And while the island appears ripe in possible food sources, flora and fauna, neither offers me any clues as to our location. The avifauna suggests that we might be in the Prio Seas, but thus far it is all conjecture.

Baker, as ever the very image of activity and good spirits, has vigorously set about figuring out how to make our existence on this desolate piece of land bearable, and I have every confidence that he shall succeed. I believe I may be in his way, and will spend our time until we are rescued productively, describing the species off this island. This may well prove an invaluable scientific opportunity and a well-earned break from my diplomatic duties.

Montoya...

38234535682_422917281f_c.jpg

Finally, we get some answers! Though you raise even more questions... How will Corrington manage with our most accomplished diplomat stranded far from civilization?

It's a nice build! I really like the raft, particularly how flags look very much like tattered sails!

Oh, nice continuation of your story. Is this the first glimpse of new islands?

I hope for some cannibalism down the road - a man has to eat after all!

Edited by Drunknok

Good to see Montoya again... interesting to see where this goes. I've heard the rum on Tortuga is brutal, but no recollection.... wow!

Very nice little diorama. The transparent studs and tan tiles work very well for representing water and sandy beach. The raft is nice too, and I like the details such as flags, fish pole and the unshaved Montoya.

@Bregir

Day 3 :

Baker is on every front. He as some idea on how to set a distress signal, how to make a makeshift shelter and he is ready to deeper into the island searching for clue, food and water.

• Be pragmatic. A descent distress signal is the first think we need. We will have enough time then for searching about food and fresh water. A ship is not likely to pop up as soon as we start the signal. Let's chop some trees, make a big big heap of trunks, leaves and torch it !
  • Be pragmatic. We need to settle before anything. As the raft is at the moment our only possibility to sail away, we need to settle not far from here. After we start searching for food and fresh water, and even we may thought about a distress signal. Let's chop some trees and make a lovely hut.
  • Be organized. The raft is useless, as we do not have any navigation expertise and implements, so we can abandon it and make our way to the most convenient place for setting a camp near a free access to food and fresh water. After we may spend some time to explore the island and certainly find the right place to set a distress signal

To be pragmatic need one built. If you decide to get organized, then you need three vignettes about quest for food and fresh water.

Montoya's personal diary, Day 35, Hunting

After finding the curious alter in the middle of the jungle-engulfed ruins, our interest was piqued. Hence we followed the tracks inland on what seemed a former main road, now reduced to a track for animals and natives. We see signs of the natives everywhere, but have, curiously, not seen any in the flesh.

Young Baker has crafted a fine bow, and has proven very effective at procuring specimens of the local wildlife, including an interesting local type of deer, which, coincidentally also proved very tasty and nutritious.

/Montoya

42134809104_bc7ecc484b_c.jpg

Montoya's personal diary, Day 36, the wonders of fire

Again, young Baker proves his versatility. Having attended geology lectures in Belson, he identified a local mineral that could be used for striking a fire.

Since then, we have had warm, well-cooked food.

/Montoya

27983964597_f2091e4f66_c.jpg

Baker's diary, day 39

This island offers a wealth of interesting flora and fauna, as well as some very interesting geological formations. Most interesting, though, is the remains of a lost civilisation that keeps popping up around us as we follow the track inland. For a long time it has been rising slowly, and now turned into a narrow pass leading slowly upwards. The path follows a river, with the occasional bridge or platform to keep us moving.

Most of the iconography around us seems related to large cats, not unlike that of the Myzec, although here, the felines appear held in higher respect and perceived less as a danger than on Cascadia...

Up ahead, I can hear the sound of a waterfail, most likely feeding the stream below us.

/Baker

27669837587_af08e7d358_c.jpg

Baker's diary, day 40

We have reached the waterfall, which seems to come out of a man-made structure on which a very large gate- or doorway is build. Montoya managed to misstep walking over the bridge, causing one of the supporting ropes to break, almost throwing him into the rushing stream. It is a mystery to me how such an intelligent and highly regarded man can be so clumsy... But I managed to talk him across without further incident

/Baker

To be continued

Great series of builds Bregir, I really like this latest one - great job on the ruins and the bridge! :thumbup: 

Montoya's Diary, Day 45

We have spent the last few weeks seeking a passage to whatever is behind that door. Hiking first left, then right, around the gateway, we have found nothing but cliff sides, impenetrable jungle, or impassable rivers and swamps.

In short, we are no closer to identifying what is behind this door, obviously built by some highly advanced civilisation decades, or maybe even centuries ago. Were they trying to keep someone out, or perhaps something in? The questions heavily outnumbers the answers, but one is certainly intrigued.

However, the door is, despite its obvious age, very solid and entirely sealed. Additionally, it would be a crime to destroy such a relic of the past.

/Montoya

27669838087_287b32ac6a_c.jpg

Baker's Diary, Day 45

A most fascinating expedition, but it seems we have reached a standstill - there is no way through and no way around.

One thing begs a question, though. This door is clearly sealed, but there is not signs of this on the outside. Hence, it must have been locked from the inside... Who might have locked it, and why?

We must now start back down the path. There is nothing more for us to do here. I only wonder if we can truly backtrack our path - and we are still trapped on this island...

/Baker

I never commented on the latest scene which was remiss of me. I like the mottled colour scheme and texture of the stone work. It really conveys that crumbling ruins sort of feel. The fragile looking rope bridge is also a great addition. Hopefully we see Montoya emerge from the jungle soon!

Nice build! That's a lot of masonry bricks :pir-grin:

I like the mixture of colours and the different levels of the build, it really feels as if it's been there for centuries!

As usual great MOC, Bregir! Your walls are very realistic, they really give the feel of an ancient ruin. Great job with water and bridge too! 

I still love the rope bridge and the general decay in the build ... Your story in very intriguing with the diary entries.

Montoya's Diary, Day 48

Absolutely fascinating. The island we have been exploring for the past weeks is actually Celestia!

That explains it all - the felines, the native cults, the temple ruins. They all make sense now, like pieces of a puzzle coming together.

I hope to intensify our explorations in due time. For now we will return to civilization. Loyal young Baker hsa proven his worth as an explorer.

/Montoya

43878735384_88ee1b05f2_c.jpg

Baker's Diary, Day 49

We have been found! Finally.

We were wandering Celestia all the time. Fontonajo's son and his expedition were looking for gems, when we ran into them.

There will be a lot to write down once we are back. Also looking forward to a warm bath.

/Baker

Diary of Juan Alfonso Fontonajo's, Day 36

Insance Naturalists! We have been looking for gems and minerals in a small cave - we found another one of these feline heads chiseled in the stone - when suddenly out of nowhere two men appeared. Neither did they know where they were, nor could they understand that we valued gemstones over the beauty of some brushes.

The two turned out to be Corlander Don Isaac Montoya and another random guy by his side, who had been stranded somewhere on the Celestian coast 48 days ago and had since then wandered aimlessly around the island. Guess they will join us on our way back to civilization. I have no clue why father values Montoya this highly. Still I should try to find out if he has discovered anything of value.

This diary will have to be burnt.

J

29659675917_f199750a80_c.jpg

Edited by Elostirion

Montoya has been found! Hoo-ray!

Fantastic use of color and the spiky vine pieces in the build! The oranges and reds are wonderful here. :thumbup:

I agree with Capt Wolf, fantastic use of colour Elos, great work! I'm also jealous you've managed to obtain some of those new leaf pieces!

I'll echo that sentiment.  The colours are fantastic, to the point of bordering on other-worldly.  But it comes off nicely.  Great job.

Wow, a vibrant scene - lots to see on a small area. The variety of colours used makes it a pleasure to look at, well done! :thumbup:

@Bregir

Is Montoya already back in Jameston by now? The WTCM wishes to know if there is some news to report. :wink: