Sign in to follow this  
Silvio

How to take this apart? 42070 B model

Is there a hole down the middle of the white connector that you can poke something down to remove the grey axle? I don't think I have one of those.

Can you remove the blue pins or are they poked through from inside the frame? If so, it might give a little more wiggle room.

The way I would do it is, unfortunately, bending the white connector out of the frame and pulling it out - there should be enough slack in the axle to do it without damaging anything...

Those 3L pins look to be inserted from the inside of the frame.  

I am currently in an email exchange with Lego regarding a similar issue with an assembly from an official set.  I'm not getting very far with them, however.  I'm working on the basis that Lego is a product that is designed to be built and disassembled without the need for additional tools (brick separators excluded).  I assume that there will be replies to this thread that suggest knives and other tools to be used to pry out the axle with with stopper.  

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

The way I would do it is, unfortunately, bending the white connector out of the frame and pulling it out - there should be enough slack in the axle to do it without damaging anything...

I'm guessing that this method would not be published in an official Lego instruction manual :) 

This post is more of a gripe than problem solving. Ofcourse that the only solution is what mocbuild101 wrote (and I already did). 3L pins make no difference in this. Even without them bending is the only way.

Bending parts does not break them, but it does break my hart. :classic:

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

How does one take this apart?! Only by bending... :cry_sad:

Thanks Lego! :laugh:

I would have assembled this with the blue pins reversed so they can be removed.  Then you can wiggle the T liftarm/ gear and white connector until the 4L stop axle is slightly sticking out from the frame piece.  Then using a fingernail or maybe brick separator you can nudge it a bit further so you can physically grab it.

Edited by technic_addict

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

How does one take this apart?! Only by bending... :cry_sad:

Thanks Lego! :laugh:

Try to use knife and pick the axle with the "stopper".

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Can you remove the blue pins or are they poked through from inside the frame? If so, it might give a little more wiggle room.

Have you watch the picture? It's evidently blue pins can not be removed.

How did that pass Lego QA is beyond me...And you can't even insert a the through the white joiner to push out the axle.

If You try "bend method", bend it down as in picture, because there is little bit more place.

Maybe it could be done with some kind of suction. Vacuum cleaner with some small head :)

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

How did that pass Lego QA is beyond me

LEGO QA unfortunately doesn't seem to be that much concerned with bending for assembly or disassembly :-(

3 hours ago, Silvio said:

How does one take this apart?!

I disassemble such constructions by moving the gear and axle connector a fraction of a millimetre while torquing the other part to keep the axle in place. It takes time but doesn't damage any parts.

3 hours ago, Aleh said:

Have you watch the picture? It's evidently blue pins can not be removed.

Yes, but it is hard to tell on a small phone screen what direction they were pushed in which is why I asked the question. Interesting that the manual doesn't explicitly say which direction to put them in ...

FWg9RLD.png

I would have put them in pushing them through from outside. The function will be the same.

It is lucky that there is not a stop-end axle pushed into the other end of the white piece.

2 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

How did that pass Lego QA is beyond me...And you can't even insert a the through the white joiner to push out the axle.

It is also a B-model and I think they are less strict for those.

You can always "pull" out axle with small sissors that are curved at the end.3-1-2-double-curved-embroidery-scissors-At least it always works for me :wink:

Edited by I_Igor
Needed to add image...

These works as well to gently prise the 4L axle with stop out far enough to grip and remove.
they have a very sharp fine point.

36621410560_884c43974e_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

13 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, but it is hard to tell on a small phone screen what direction they were pushed in which is why I asked the question.

Sorry, I didn't think about you are watching from the phone.

It's necasarry to insert that pins from outside for sure, but understanding of this sometimes comes too late :cry_sad: :laugh:

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

You can always "pull" out axle with small sissors that are curved at the end.At least it always works for me :wink:

Hmm, now I need to buy ones :classic:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

@Aleh just look for a manicure set. BTW it was yeard ago suggestion made by my wife :wink:

I used victorinox knife :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Aleh said:

I used victorinox knife :thumbup:

That is also good method :thumbup:

Just for fun: some people talk about 3L pins. You do realize that they are irrelevant here? The build is still imposible to take apart "legaly" even without them. We have a legal build. This would be a strange case of a legal build but an illegal disassembly. :sceptic:

New part required:
4L axle with stud end, then you would be able to grip with needle nose pliers to pull it out.

The Lego instructions clearly show the blue pins have been inserted from the inside - you can't see the shoulder of the pins. Not that it would matter in this case, other than for some more wiggle room maybe. I guess at least it's possible to slip a sharp knife under the stop of the 4L axle.

It's interesting to me how many mistakes such as this (or simpler, e.g. in 42065 the 40th anniversary part is black in one spot instead of white - see below) are found in lego instructions even with their presumably very good quality assurance. I guess even with that mistakes like wrong coloured or mislabelled parts are easy to miss. Assembly mistakes must be even more easy to miss maybe? I wonder if the people testing got lucky and the 4L axle wasn't inserted all the way or something?

018.jpg

This is a really stupid mistake, and it seems as if Lego has let quality assurance slip in some areas. Given that this is a mere PDF, the fact that they haven't revised this is just stupid. All you need to do is use a 5L axle with stop, and change the step order a little bit. It's not like they don't have half the set's parts to work with to fix the B model.

I remember a similar thread a few years ago.. and I made this little video:

slightly different with OP's problem, as indeed (I just checked!) the white 18948 is solid in the middle

Interestingly.. the newer red 26287 *IS* hollow, and had that part been used, my paperclip trick would have worked.

13 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

This is a really stupid mistake, and it seems as if Lego has let quality assurance slip in some areas. Given that this is a mere PDF, the fact that they haven't revised this is just stupid. All you need to do is use a 5L axle with stop, and change the step order a little bit. It's not like they don't have half the set's parts to work with to fix the B model.

That is best solution of the problem :thumbup:

Instead of using a white 3L axle joiner use a 2L axle joiner and Replace  the 4L axle with stop with a 5L axle with stop, and add a bush to fill the gap.

That way you would be able to use a thin rod to push out the 5L axle with stop. Simple !

Possibly the red 3L axle joiner was not available when set designed.

Edited by Doug72