Bricksmith

MOC: Flying Scotsman - Classic look + American Tour

Hi all,

After finishing my first steam train MOC 6 months ago- the iconic Gresley streamliner 'Mallard', I was eager to get started on another engine.

After digitally designing a large roster of engines to the same scale, I decided to stick with the classic LNER designs and build my own take on the iconic Flying Scotsman.

38116712794_1c5fbf4b15_b.jpg

26520847909_fa7a49e094_b.jpg

The build has evolved slightly since the original design, but not by much. Below is the original render which included the bar along the and green tender wheels.

36406857001_c78315ff42_b.jpg

The build began with laying out the wheelbase. This also matches the wheelbase of the Mallard MOC.

36393700454_c0d75587bf_b.jpg

Then, the tender- complete with all the power functions elements!  The motor's proportions meant the tender has 3 wheels instead of the accurate 4.

Note the clipped wheel cover on the front axle. It wasn't an easy decision but the details look so much neater because of it.

36933222300_411e1fa104_b.jpg

The boiler was next, and after a swift bricklink order the pieces came together very nicely.

37140053896_e8ef7ae4bc_b.jpg

Lastly, the wheels! I can't say I've seen any MOC's that have used Big Ben Brick's Green wheels before, but here they are, and they look fantastic.

26520860289_b059147a16_b.jpg

There is still plenty to work on, such as decals and working piston rods (that don't obscure the width of the build too much). Fr now though, I'm happy to call this finished. For now.

EDIT: I recently made a Youtube video taking a closer look at the MOC, where it can also be seen in action.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the build, please feel free to leave a comment! I'll leave with a few more images of the build. 

- Isaac

24425285518_670389d7be_b.jpg

38241334186_984c37a4db_b.jpg

38264439612_424e956b7a_b.jpg

Info on the Mallard MOC can be found on this thread: 

Edited by Bricksmith
New pictures and information on the MOC.

That is looking really good, and really tough to pull off in an honest 6 wide like that. Though the matching cars are worth a mention too.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:47 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very neat work and beautiful tender!

The green wheels and the custom rods give to this locomotive the perfect look! :wub:

Thanks! The Big Ben Bricks wheels worked a treat for the model.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:16 AM, zephyr1934 said:

That is looking really good, and really tough to pull off in an honest 6 wide like that. Though the matching cars are worth a mention too.

Thanks! I have 2 BR passenger cars so far, aiming to have a full set of 4. Matching LNER - style cars will likely come later too.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:29 AM, Bricksmith said:

38264439612_424e956b7a_b.jpg

Hi Isaac,

I just looked back at your Mallard build and realised I've been subbed to you on Youtube since your London Underground train!

Are you going to do a moc showcase for the brilliant Flying Scotsman on your Youtube channel? (I'm sure it would go down very well with your subscribers if you did!)

Also, would you ever consider selling copies of the files for your marvellous handy works? I for one would buy a copy of each if you did, especially to learn new and more effective 6-stud wide loco construction techniques! (I think it could be a nice little money earner to fund future builds too.)

If a possibility, might I suggest using the Bricklink custom area as it will reach a good AFOL audience and could also be cross-ploinated from your Youtube and other socials if you wished!

I've been smiling like a cheshire cat while looking through posts of your engines, and would like to thank you very much for sharing them.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:29 AM, JEB314 (James) said:

Hi Isaac,

I just looked back at your Mallard build and realised I've been subbed to you on Youtube since your London Underground train!

Are you going to do a moc showcase for the brilliant Flying Scotsman on your Youtube channel? (I'm sure it would go down very well with your subscribers if you did!)

Also, would you ever consider selling copies of the files for your marvellous handy works? I for one would buy a copy of each if you did, especially to learn new and more effective 6-stud wide loco construction techniques! (I think it could be a nice little money earner to fund future builds too.)

If a possibility, might I suggest using the Bricklink custom area as it will reach a good AFOL audience and could also be cross-ploinated from your Youtube and other socials if you wished!

I've been smiling like a cheshire cat while looking through posts of your engines, and would like to thank you very much for sharing them.

Glad you like it! I've written the script for the Scotsman showcase and I'll film it soon as Uni gives me an afternoon to breathe.

I have considered sharing/selling instructions since I do have some designs for them. However, they're on a program (Not LDD) where I can't get my head around the instruction book software, and neither can my computer it seems. I might give it some time, then release a file if I can figure it out :)

6 minutes ago, Bricksmith said:

I have considered sharing/selling instructions since I do have some designs for them. However, they're on a program (Not LDD) where I can't get my head around the instruction book software, and neither can my computer it seems. I might give it some time, then release a file if I can figure it out :)

If you are using something like the Bricklink software, Stud.io (which I use occasionally), the instructions feature is very confusing and probably needs a manual to understand!

I recommend the easiest way to do it is just as the file for people, tell them which program they need to download to read it, and then let them either figure the instruction aspect out, or leave them to take away individual bricks, change colours, do a redesign, etc... Thus giving people the option to do more with your designs to fit their needs, be it length, height, width, PF functions features like lights.

Most of all its up to you, as they are your models/designs!

Wouldn't half mind a file or something to help with MK1 and Bulleid coaches I've started collecting pieces for... without even having near finalised crude designs in place! ?

I've got a lot to live up to with people like yourself, Andrew, Carl and many others!

Tinkered with my Scotsman MOC to add - quite literally - all the bells and whistles she wore on her american tour- Though I am shy one tender.

Some of the additions will be permanent too, like the slide bars and name plate.

37984993085_05971b0dd1_b.jpg

37984980505_38999e9c56_b.jpg

38871554681_b0bb273fb1_b.jpg