Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2018 Pictures and Rumors

This thread is for discussing the 2018 LEGO Sci-Fi sets.

Stay on topic. Do not post fabricated information, which could lead to your account being banned.

If you find images stamped with a 'Confidential' mark, do not embed them.

Thanks.

As always, here's hoping Creator has something in store for next year, especially for Classic Space's 40th anniversary! :classic:

So far though, Nexo Knights looks like it has a lot of potential for some great space parts, like many have discussed in the 2017 topic and elsewhere. Also, next year's Bat-Spaceshuttle for TLBM looks to potentially include a new Trans-yellow windshield for the main shuttle build, though its usage will be limited to being inserted into this part.

There's also the possibility Star Wars may give us at least one new transparent canopy recolor for 2018, but we'll have to wait and see if that will come to be. :shrug_oh_well:

I've seen the box art for it. The only specifically space thing on it is a microscale space shuttle. The box features a large question mark and a few things scattered throughout assorted pieces. These include a pirate, a large purple duck, a green race car, a city type minifig, and the  aforementioned shuttle. 

8 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

I've seen the box art for it. The only specifically space thing on it is a microscale space shuttle. The box features a large question mark and a few things scattered throughout assorted pieces. These include a pirate, a large purple duck, a green race car, a city type minifig, and the  aforementioned shuttle. 

What sort of color variety is seen among these mini-builds? Is it more of a traditionally colored palette (Bright Blue, Bright Red, Bright Yellow, etc.), a brighter colored mixed palette (Dark Azure, Bright Yellowish Green, etc.), or does it also include some more desirable colors such as Sand and Earth shades?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What sort of color variety is seen among these mini-builds? Is it more of a traditionally colored palette (Bright Blue, Bright Red, Bright Yellow, etc.), a brighter colored mixed palette (Dark Azure, Bright Yellowish Green, etc.), or does it also include some more desirable colors such as Sand and Earth shades?

It looks to be the same color palette that Classic sets have been using. No sign of the sand colors, and no earth colors visible on the box art. 

I'm hoping for more and larger space sets -- hopefully non-Star Wars related, either.  Maybe some more new themes based on fictional universes (WH40K, Asimov, etc.) or more real-life themes would be nice.  A better Lego theme based on its own creation, but more adult-oriented, would be nice, too. 

On 15/02/2018 at 5:26 AM, HeraldicBanner said:

WH40K

It's violent, so there is approximately zero chance you'd ever see Lego linked to that :)

I'm afraid we're not gonna see anything non-SW until the next Benny's spaceship (especially since the next movie is rumored to be very space-related).
Perhaps Xingbao will do those things that Lego never will.

Edited by anothergol

The new Ninjago City Docks set has an Exploriens logo.

Sad that this might be the only Space "news" for the year.

9 hours ago, danth said:

Oh, I doubt that. At the very least, there'll probably be further Space references in that very set. :wink:

9 hours ago, danth said:

I think by the end of the year there will be news for the Space fans because The LEGO Movie Sequel line will be revealed and it has been said that space will have a relevant role in the film

Sigh..."by the end of the year" is a long time to wait for things to make their way out of the rumor mill and into real life.  That said, enough major sets have spun out of the rumor mill and into reality that I trust the rumors of Space in TLM2.  In the meantime, I'm spending all the seed corn for TLM2 sets on retired kits that scratch one aspect or another of my Space itch.  Those rumors better come true quick or else I won't have any money to respond to them! :)

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Oh, I doubt that. At the very least, there'll probably be further Space references in that very set. :wink:

Have you spotted any others?

26 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Have you spotted any others?

Nothing else pure Space just yet, but there is an Ultra Agents poster for the billboard. And there's so much of the set that we haven't yet seen, even with the better pics—I would not be at all surprised to see further Space references among that.

33 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Nothing else pure Space just yet, but there is an Ultra Agents poster for the billboard. And there's so much of the set that we haven't yet seen, even with the better pics—I would not be at all surprised to see further Space references among that.

I heard on BZPower that there are supposed to be around twice as many Easter eggs in this set as in Ninjago City, despite it being a smaller set!

Oh, something not so relevant to builders here, but this year’s two FIRST LEGO League challenges from LEGO Education are space-themed. There’s a WeDo one called Mission to Mars I think, and a Mindstorms one called Into Orbit.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:52 PM, icm said:

Sigh..."by the end of the year" is a long time to wait for things to make their way out of the rumor mill and into real life.  That said, enough major sets have spun out of the rumor mill and into reality that I trust the rumors of Space in TLM2.  In the meantime, I'm spending all the seed corn for TLM2 sets on retired kits that scratch one aspect or another of my Space itch.  Those rumors better come true quick or else I won't have any money to respond to them! :)

Well, if we get lucky we might see something at the Comic-Cons. So maybe there might be news earlier

Earlier in this thread the 10405 Mission to Mars was mentioned but I though I should point out the 10404 Ocean's Bottom does include a Classic Space themed spaceship.

Shame this and the LEGO store exclusive 40290 60 Years Of The LEGO Brick  were the only Classic Space builds we got for the themes 40th Anniversary, let's hope for better in 2028! 

Capturespace.PNG

I'm among the crowd who hoped LEGO would do something cool to celebrate the anniversary of Classic Space, but what we got was more a whimper than a bang. I'm hoping The LEGO Movie 2 will have at least a handful of sets harkening back to old Space themes; there seems to be some promise there. Nexo Knights provided a few sets very reminiscent of the Blacktron 2 color scheme, so I'm thankful for that. 

Alas, as much as I like a lot of Star Wars designs, I'm beginning to feel fatigue setting in. I'm not sure why LEGO feels that a homegrown space theme and Star Wars can't occupy the same shelf space, but with Star Wars popularity waning a bit, I wish they'd take the plunge. 

The Bricklink sets won't be released until 2019, but I would be very surprised if at least one of them wasn't Space-themed.  I would be mildly surprised if that Space-themed set didn't refer back to a classic Space set in some way.  Of course, these won't be officially-numbered sets from Lego itself, but they're better than nothing.  That said, all the wonderful Space-themed entries to the Moments in Space contest were outvoted by a kiddy ride at the mall, so you never know.

On 2/15/2018 at 4:26 AM, HeraldicBanner said:

I'm hoping for more and larger space sets -- hopefully non-Star Wars related, either.  Maybe some more new themes based on fictional universes (WH40K, Asimov, etc.) or more real-life themes would be nice.  A better Lego theme based on its own creation, but more adult-oriented, would be nice, too. 

I'm a fan of Asimov.  Used to be into WH40K back in the day too.  Good ideas.

It makes sense to see more Classic Space stuff in 2019 than 2018, since LEGO often seems to consider the launch year of Classic Space 1979 rather than 1978, judging from the 30 year anniversary statue in one of the 2009 Space Police III sets. And in fairness to them, 1979 IS when the LEGO Space sets really got a full launch on both sides of the Atlantic.

36 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

It makes sense to see more Classic Space stuff in 2019 than 2018, since LEGO often seems to consider the launch year of Classic Space 1979 rather than 1978, judging from the 30 year anniversary statue in one of the 2009 Space Police III sets. And in fairness to them, 1979 IS when the LEGO Space sets really got a full launch on both sides of the Atlantic.

Whoa...surprise Classic Space anniversary set in 2019? IT COULD HAPPEN! :excited:

:tongue:

Just now, danth said:

Whoa...surprise Classic Space anniversary set in 2019? IT COULD HAPPEN! :excited:

:tongue:

Maybe! The chance of Classic Space coming back as some kind of direct to consumer or gift with purchase exclusive, or even as a not-yet-announced LEGO Movie 2 set for the summer, is a lot more plausible than it coming back as a full theme.

It'd be nice to see an sort of futuristic, non-licensed Space-themed direct to consumer set, since there's never been one before like there has been for castle or pirates. Probably because Star Wars has had UCS sets as exclusives nearly every year since LEGO really started doing D2C stuff, and so the market for exclusives in that space/sci-fi genre has been more consistently crowded than for medieval or pirate exclusives. But we have seen various other types of LEGO exclusive items (gift with purchase sets, lifestyle products, minifigure display cases, etc) that pay homage to Classic Space in one way or another. So no reason to think a big exclusive classic spaceship would be permanently out of the question.