Ivan_M

[MOC] 8x2 Truck w heavy duty crane + instructions

I would like to share my latest creation - 8x2 truck with crane. This is the picture that inspired me:

kruse110txm02.jpg

I started with cabin and chasis and I was not sure what kind of truck I want in the end. I was sure about one thing - not to make overcomplicated build so 8x4 dump truck was on my mind for most of the time. But then I have seen a website with cranes and the one above is very nice so it was set. I love pneumatics so this was an obvious choice. I have of course took the picture as purely inspirational, this is not meant as exact copy.

Features:

• 3 steered axles, each with different ratio and all of them with ackerman geometry - I just love the small ball joint hubs.
  • 3rd axle drives fake V6 engine (1:3 ratio)
  • cabin with openable doors, openable front grill and it can tilt to reveal engine
  • extendable outridges (6 studs), all operated simultaneously by knob behind the cab and pneumatic foots. They can lift the whole truck but they bend under the weight.
  • 3 section crane with extendable 3rd section and winch. The crane itself is quite powerful, the limit is the winch. Slew is controlled by knob behind the turntable.
  • huge amount of tubbing, almost 3,5 meters

37569104254_d4206d9f56_c.jpgIMGP5104 by Ivan Moc

38225180526_90c0f8a1aa_c.jpgIMGP5107 by Ivan Moc

38280286991_8d3dc9ba95_c.jpgIMGP5108 by Ivan Moc

38280286151_6d5b0d6f9c_c.jpgIMGP5111 by Ivan Moc

38280285681_298ec87631_c.jpgIMGP5112 by Ivan Moc

38280284701_d7263d0ab2_c.jpgIMGP5114 by Ivan Moc

38247978302_d594741cc4_c.jpgIMGP5115 by Ivan Moc

38247978022_b790b67865_c.jpgIMGP5116 by Ivan Moc

Edited by Ivan_M

Thank you very much, I have used these hubs:

15460.png

they are sooo good because they fit into the wheel for turning point close to center. You can then fit mudguards and outridges very closely as seen in the belly shot. Wheels do not rub anything at all.

Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Great looking model, it looks sturdy and the steering is ingenious.

The frame of the truck is very sturdy, nothing can fall of, the cabin is also held in place very firmly, I have tested it with my daughters :classic: (3 & 5 y old). The outridges are quite sturdy and work fine when they only touch ground and do not lift the truck. I have learned a lot from my past builds so I'm overally very satisied with the result. I'm now doing digital file and I plan to release PDF instructions, although given the amount of pneumatics I don't think it will appeal to many.

\\edit: oh wow, I just noticed that @Jim put this on main page and gave me special tags! Thank you, I'm honored!

Edited by Ivan_M

You get a "supernice" form me :-) I really like that you decided for a mid to smaller scale - I tend to get pulled to the bigger side and then my MOCs become  to long and to big to finish in a pleasant way. Great details with the gas tanks and other stuff around them that I don't know what to call it  ;-)

Are you planing to make a video of the functions?

I love the mid size trucks. There have been some nice ones recently. Your crane arm is very good looking and it's all manual.

H

Thank you! My last video of crop sprayer was a disaster and I'm afraid this one will be similar :blush: but I will post one. I enjoy putting such small detials into my builds a lot, I think it will eventually lead me into true scale modelling, but I don't have the experience nor bricks yet.

Here are some more pictures, the whole model is build in modules, it can be splitted into this state very quickly:

26517211299_60ea16e2e9_c.jpg20171109_212114 by Ivan Moc

Frame:

26517211219_bf01e4cf8c_c.jpg20171109_212213 by Ivan Moc

The steering is clearly visible - 1st and 2nd axle uses 7L rack, 4th axle is using 8t pinion and 4L rack. This is necessary for smaller steering radius on 4th axle. This is the only way to have all wheels aligned, because when you reduce the ratio by gears you get an offset

Rear outridges:

38261170722_0e92462eae_c.jpg20171109_212304 by Ivan Moc

Front one:

38261168572_a4cd086c0f_c.jpg20171109_212332 by Ivan Moc

Crane:

26517210469_3e47aa4006_c.jpg20171109_212316 by Ivan Moc

Cool model.  Remind me some of my builds in a same community  of scale. Good job on it. Just one little reserve on outriggers bending too much for me....

Just now, steph77 said:

Cool model.  Remind me some of my builds in a same community  of scale. Good job on it. Just one little reserve on outriggers bending too much for me....

Thank you! I admire your models and they are indeed inspirational to me, you can definetely see it on cabin. I think it is unavoidable, the building technique is literally the same on all trucks because it is perfect with the available parts.

...and this  is  a  real  Good thing ? what  i meant was that your model is another proof  that this is a real good scale to build trucks. Again :great job ☺

The way you mounted the wheels is really ingenious. I should get myself a few of those hubs, I never thought about using them for these wheels. Smart! For the rest, I really like your truck because of the scale (my favorite scale for trucks ever since those wheels exist). Also I'm normally not into pneumatics, but I really think they fit great here. The way they are placed on the main boom looks really convincing. I really think this is Technic as it is meant to be :)

Very impressive! Great scale, great sturdy construction. The use of pneumatics is really outstanding, it shows what can be done with pneumatics with determination.

Andy D

18 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Thank you very much, I have used these hubs:

From description seemed so, but those connections to steering with axle/pin connectors was frustrating

Modularity is really good thing!

16 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

oh wow, I just noticed that @Jim put this on main page and gave me special tags! Thank you, I'm honored!

:thumbup:

I am glad this has been front-paged.  Well-deserving.  In addition to what others have said, I think building at this scale with such a clever use of parts and maintaining functionality is that it makes Technic appealing to others.  At this scale, TLG really could add a set like this.  I know the pneumatics get messy, but if the AROCS taught us anything is that messy pneumatics don't automatically exclude themselves from official Lego sets.  Well done....

Others have said it already. This model breathes the true Technic spirit. Very nice work!

Thanks for frontpaging this @Jim :thumbup:.