Sign in to follow this  
muffluvin

[MOC] City Trolley

UA0Ogiv.jpg

My kid wanted a trolley for his Lego City. I am into 4-studs wide cars and modular mocs, no idea how to begin this en devour. After a few failed attempts, I turned to this section of the forum. I found Solitary Dark's MOC of the San Francisco Trolley. His MOC was the basis for the chassis on this one.

yqmnaLt.jpg

This is made out of bricks we have on hand. I plan to make modifications to the cabin, the windows make it look more like a boat than a trolley.

2Pj1pqk.jpg

My boy's tall order was to motorized the MOC. I manage to squeeze in the Power Functions I.R. into the cabin. The battery pack can also be mounted but it would stick out of the cabin. So I modified this one to run on 9v rechargeable Lithium Ion battery. I stumbled on a number of threads in this section regarding this topic so I went ahead and soldered one end of a PF cable to a connector for a 9v battery

Ax7LsCS.jpg

I made the thing modular for easy access to the PF components. It also makes changing the appearance of the train easy.

Hope you guys like it, like I said, this is my first attempt. Appreciate all the contents in this forum.

Here are more pictures:

5WyPbaM.jpg

zmqFkVW.jpg

Here's a short video of the Trolley on the move.

Edited by muffluvin
grammar and spelling

What a great MOC, small motorized builds are always tricky but you made it look easy. If that really is your first train hopefully your boy will pull you in to the deep end (grin)

10 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a great MOC ...simply loveful! :wub:

The PF motor and the receiver are the icing on the cake! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

What a great MOC, small motorized builds are always tricky but you made it look easy. If that really is your first train hopefully your boy will pull you in to the deep end (grin)

Thank you very much, you guys are too kind :blush:. It's a labor of love, I guess.

Hiding the PF components was the first order of the build. So a week was spent figuring out the perfect chassis. Like I said, one can fit a Lego PF 88000 or a 8878 in there but it would come out of the cabin by a stud. I did made a longer cabin but the proportions were off so I decided to make the battery mod instead.

This is indeed my first train build but we do have the Lego Cargo and Winter Holiday trains.

That's pretty cool! Much cheaper alternative to the official Lego stuff... Maybe that's something I could power the Christmas train with! I hate the battery pack in the tender...

On 11/12/2017 at 2:07 AM, Man with a hat said:

Nice trolley. At first I wondered why there were so few windows. Apparently to hide the PF. It is nice and clever build.

Thank you. Yup, those windows are the only thing that I did not like but they serve their purpose by hiding the PF components.