Sign in to follow this  
TheBeeze

Need Help with terrain texture and coloring ideas

So I'm working on a new project and I'm unsure of what I can use for the terrain in terms of colors and texturing. 

Here is how the terrain is described:

"The terrain is rolling and treeless and is covered with grass outcrops, areas of thick gorse and peat bogs making effective camouflage and concealment extremely difficult. From May to August, the southern hemisphere winter, the ground is sodden and frequently covered with brackish water, causing movement to be slow and exhausting, especially at night. The isthmus has two settlements, both on the eastern coastal edge.The islands have a cold, damp climate and light, drizzly rains occur two out of every three days with continuous winds"

Here are some reference pictures:

48ed3711f63b974071bc60b59d0d3cc6--falkla

e01e59a81ae9158ac72424cdcf84dccb--yorksh

f5754bc04f066ea94297fff618472c9b--falkla

jfpx8apbt7iish5xuvbp.jpg

So anything lower than the surface such as trenches and bogs, I'll be using reddish brown for. But the surface is whats killing me. I cant find anyone who can agree on what colors to use..... I get everything from light brown and tan to dark green. Looking through Lego colors to try and find a match has been hell from a texturing point of view as well. 

Any help is greatly appreciated and reference pictures to similar style builds are even better. 

You'll probably need a variety of colours to capture the look of the Falklands.

Kalais uses lime green for the water in this creation. That with tan could be a good foundation colour.

As for texturing, I recommend having a lime green and tan raised floor with holes through which olive and lime green flower stems protrude, i.e. the base of the stems set in holes. You can add to the texture with 6 x 5 or 4 x 3 plant leaves across the surface. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to illustrate what I mean. 

Dark tan, tan and olive green would probably be a good start. You can get this piece in olive green to cover a landscape, maybe mixing in a few regular green, but it won't be cheap in the quantity you'll need.

3741.png

Use a mix of sand and olive green plates on top, with some dark tan and brown underneath. Sporadic grass pieces in olive green would look good as well.

But sand green is hard to find, though it looks great. I found 1x2 plates at my Lego store's pick-a-brick wall, so I have a around 500 of them.

Thank you all (though so far you have all disagreed on colors haha). Just to give you an idea, this is going to be a relatively large scale MOC somewhere upwards of 4x 48x48 plates.